“Service was so bad, we didn't even get to try the food...”
Review of Melting Pot - CLOSED

Price range: US$21 - US$40
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I tried to eat at this restaurant yesterday. We didn't have a reservation, but decided to check, in case they had a table available. When we walked in, there were 3 people at the hostess desk. I asked if there was a table available, and the lady on the computer got very agitated, started rubbing her face, and huffing as she was looking at the computer. I have NEVER seen a hostess act like this. Then, she continues to huff and tells the other lady next to her, "You tell them" and points to the screen, so the OTHER lady tells us that there isn't a table available for another couple of hours. I did address this with the hostess, and asked her what her problem was that she thought she was too good to talk to us, and she just stared at me at first, not speaking with me. Then she tells me that I was speaking with the other lady, which is ridiculous. I have never seen anyone look so agitated looking for a table. Needless to say, we do NOT want to eat at this establishment, and this place will never get my business. We work too hard for our money to be treated so rudely.

2  Thank Natisha702

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This review is just about the service we had last night. Food was very good but still too pricey. We had a reservation for 4 people at 630pm. Arrive on time and are told it would be a few minutes till we could be seated. Parking lot is sorta empty and the place has a few tables that are full. Hostess was pleasant and told us our server would be with us shortly. 5 minutes later our server arrives. Very friendly but hard to understand. We had not been here in awhile so we ask for water and come back in a couple of minutes. 10 minutes later. We get the waters and order. She brings out the cooking broth,puts it on the heater and leaves. 20 minutes later she comes back with entrees. We thank her and ask for more water. 20 minutes later she brings water and leaves. We finish our meal and have plenty of time to talk before she comes back to drop off the bill. This dining experience took over 2 hours and we saw our server 4 times. I do not know about you but that is not cool in our dining out book. I know this is not a fast food joint but I felt like we were abandoned for most of the evening. Not a good way to welcome us back after a long time no see. We save this place for special occasions so maybe they have a new philosophy for their dining experience. It will be awhile before we go back.

2  Thank KevinGault
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Recently, my husband and another couple purchased a Groupon for The Melting Pot. We've never been and we thought it would be a fun double date experience. We tried to book for a Saturday, but we were told that you could not reserve on that day. So we booked for a Wednesday. On the phone we were told to dress 'Snazzy Casual - as if you are going to church'. We were still confused, so the guys wore a collared shirt, I wore a sundress and my girlfriend wore black slacks and a blouse. We went in right at our reservation time and was met by a lady who seemed to be obviously disgusted that we were there. My friend asked her how she was (the four of us are quite bubbly and outgoing) and her reply was 'I'm okay'. There was no 'How are you?' or 'Welcome'. She just stood there and stared at us. My friend replied, "You are just okay?" And she nodded and sort of rolled her eyes. Again, nothing. My friend then told her we had reservations and she told us to have a seat. Five minutes later she called us and walked us to our table where we explained we had never been and that we were a tad bit nervous. She mumbled something that nobody understood and took off. Our waitress came soon afterwards and introduced herself as Kesha (I may have the spelling wrong). She was friendly and explained everything, but she also seemed a bit - off is maybe the best way to describe it. Our soft drinks were brought and then it was almost an hour before the salad was brought out. It was another 45 plus minutes before the meat was brought out. We weren't checked on to make sure that everything was okay and had to ask for refills on the soft drinks. We weren't even taking our time eating when the lights started flickering and realized it was 10 p.m. and they were trying to get us out of there. The booth had duct tape holding it together, the others in the restaurant were dressed in running shorts and tank tops, there was a kid screaming at the top of his/her lungs next to us. And the real friendliness began only when the bill was brought and we were asked how our experience was. Our experience was great because of our company, but definitely not because of the staff.

THE MAIN MEAL: The food was okay. Nothing wonderful. The salads were small, but the house dress was great. The dipping sauces were just okay. We weren't' explained that we could get different things to cook the meat in other than chicken broth - but that was okay. When ordering the potstickers, know that you only get 2 and they just fall into the broth.

THE DESSERT: This was what made the night. The desserts were delicious.

THE CHEESE: We were going to do, but we were made to feel like we had to hurry up - and we understood when 3 hours went by and we were still trying to finish dessert, to no fault of our own.

When we saw what the bill would be without the Groupon - there was no way in the world that we would do it again, and even with a Groupon - it was an experience, but the employees - well, were 'Just Okay'.

3  Thank tangledwishes
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We went to The Melting Pot recently for a special occasion. We've never been, so we figured we would give it a try. We decided to get the four course meal. For the first course we had the loaded baked potato cheese. Excellent choice. I felt it tasted the best with the brown bread and broccoli. I agree with others, the salad is a salad. I did like the peppercorn dressing. I'm actually glad the salad was small. Why fill up with a large salad. Course 3 was Land & Sea and Fondue Fusion. They give you 6 different dipping sauces for the meat. Some we liked, some we didn't. Fyi, you can substitute the meats, if there's something you don't like, in a particular combo. Course 4 was the milk chocolate with crunchy peanut butter. I'm not a big peanut butter fan, but this was excellent. Our server was excellent, once we were done with one course, she was right there with the next.

In a nut shell, yes the food comes in small servings and bite size pieces, but with the four course meal, you get more than enough food to be stuffed. It's definitely overpriced, but you're paying for the experience. The quality of the food was very good. Would I go again? Maybe, but I doubt I would get 4 courses. It's just way too much food.

My one big complaint, for the amount of money your paying for a meal, you would think they would repair the seats in the booth, not tape it up with duct tape. That's the type of thing you would expect to see in an old greasy spoon restaurant, not in a place where you're probably paying over $100 for 2 people.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

It was our first visit to this restaurant and found it to be nothing special. We arrive early for dinner (5:30) and found the place mostly empty. The waitress was right there to explain the menu options and to take our drink orders. We ordered the four course dinner, cheese fondue, salad, main course, desert. The cheese fondue was great. The salad was small and not noteworthy. The main course, chicken, sausage, shrimp and beef did not seem like a lot of food at first but I was full when finished. The potatoes and vegetables for the main course were replenished every time we asked. The desert was a bit much. A whole fondue pot full of chocolate. In all, the experience was just okay. Nothing to draw us back here anytime soon. There was nothing rushed about this meal. It took us a little over two hours for this meal.

1  Thank Tim D