“Greedy ownership. Overpriced, but decent, food.”

Athenian Coney Island
Ranked #21 of 197 Restaurants in Novi
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I don't have a problem with the food - though it's a bit overpriced - or the wait service. My problem relates to their greedy policy.
I was a regular customer, used to eat there for lunch (alone) a couple of times a week, and with my family about once a month.
Today, I went into the restaurant after one, and all the seats were full. The owner told me, "just a couple of seconds", and I waited for a table. I knew it was not their policy to seat singles at booths when other, smaller tables were available (even when multiple booths were open). However, today, after waiting 5 minutes, a booth opened up. Almost simultaneously, a couple walked in the restaurant. The owner walked up, ignored me, and walked the just-arrived couple to the table.
Just to clarify - this was not a huge, 6-seater booth, but a small booth. Also, any of the "single" tables where I've been put before would have accomodated 2 people. This was near the end of the lunch rush, many additional tables should have been opening up shortly. Finally, the owner knew me, and knew I ate at the restaurant frequently.
When I protested, he said, "Sorry, the policy is on the door."

3  Thank OliviaF101

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This place is tucked out of the way so you can easily miss it, the entrance is a bit strange but once you enter it is very nice. Plenty of young wait staff eager to help you. Even though the place is not very big it feels spacious inside. You can see the cook preparing your food, and everything in the kitchen is spotless. Even while he was waiting for an order, he was cleaning. The food is delivered quickly and the portions are huge, and delicious. Our server came over several times to fill up our drinks and check that we were doing okay. The bathrooms are amazing and so clean, you have to check them out. Plenty of seating outside also. I would go back here any time for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Just ate there today and it was super! I had the original gyro, french fries and a mini greek salad. The salad was the best I have ever ever had! It was HUGE for one thing and loaded with feta cheese and their in house made dressing! I bought an extra mini greek salad to go! The service was great, the wait staff attentive, quickly refilling soda glasses and checking that everything was okay. If I didn't live over an hour from there The Athenian would become my restaurant of choice on a weekly basis!

Reviewed 17 May 2013

This coney island has great, great food, great service, and the biggest cups of coffee you have ever seen! My family and I have been there numerous times, and their gyro salad is fantastic. It really is a good little place to have lunch or breakfast, and it is located right at the Novi Town Center shopping area.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Good food, nice neighborhood coney place, not as good as Lafayette but close by. Good for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They cater as well. Great owners and excellent service.

Been to Athenian Coney Island? Share your experiences!