“Very Friendly and Helpful Staff - Basic Suite - Terrible Bed”

TownePlace Suites Detroit Novi
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed here on a quick business trip last week. Ryan at the front desk was actually unable to find my reservation (I blame the website, not Ryan or this hotel by the way), but went above and beyond to get me taken care of. The morning check out person was also very friendly.

The suite itself was fine for what I needed it for. I ran across the plaza and picked up some BoneFish Grill to go and ate it at the business desk in the Suite. I even used the in-room microwave to nuke some undercooked salmon. (By the way, aside from that, the BoneFish dinner was awesome.) The hotel is very conveniently located close to several large shopping and dining areas. There's even a Cutco Store across the street!

The only negative, and it's quite negative, is the bed. It is INCREDIBLY soft and unsupportive. It's the kind where you lay down and immediately sink into a deep valley. Terrible. The next day I received my complimentary back and neck ache as predicted.

One other slight annoyance was that I was placed in the "B" building, and the outside door had a broken lock (or just wasn't locked at any point). I also heard dogs walking back and forth in the hallway at various points, so this may be a pet friendly hotel, for what it's worth.

Overall, the place is quite average, the staff is above average, the location is above average, and the bed is well below average.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 745Entertainment
Bonnie R, Manager at TownePlace Suites Detroit Novi, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for your review of the Novi TownePlace Suites by Marriott. I'm glad to hear that Ryan was able to help with your reservation issue. I apologize that the bed was too soft for you! Yes, we are a pet friendly hotel. Did you let the front desk know that the door was not working? I will check with maintenance to ensure that the issue was resolved. Thank you again for your review!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I must admit that because of the low cost of the room, I was a bit apprehensive when I booked. However, my apprehensions were laid to rest upon our arrival. The front desk clerk was extremely friendly and helpful, and gave us some great advice on local hot spots, and even printed directions for us. The room was clean, and the bed was quite comfy. We would definitely stay again. Great quality, and great service!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anita F
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel is clean and the staff are friendly but that is where it stops.
Absolutely the WORST BED I have ever slept in, including college dorm rooms. Expect to have back pain in the morning. You hear every footstep from floor above Breakfast choices were all sugared cereals, no light syrup for the waffles and the pre-made oatmeal was rock hard. Entrances are very small and uninviting.
Expected more from something with the Marriott name attached.

I recommend paying a little more for the Residence Inn or Courtyard in this area as I have stayed at both.

Room Tip: I think top floor would be quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris G
Bonnie R, Manager at TownePlace Suites Detroit Novi, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

I'm so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us here at the TownePlace Suites Novi, I do appreciate your feedback and will use it to better our guest's stay.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Came to trip advisor after I stayed here specifically to write a good review and was surprised to see all the bad ones. For the money, you are not going to get the Marriott or the Hilton. However, it is clean, set up well for a business traveler or family, and the staff was great. I spend about 1/4 of my nights in hotels, and I will definitely choose this place again.
-Bed: Super A+
-Breakfast: Just right for a quick bite before hitting the road (and free)
-Fitness Room: Small, not much there, but you can walk across the parking lot to the courtyard and use theirs.

Best of all was the staff. Night guy shifted my room so I could stay in the main building since it was snowing and cold. Bonnie, the manager, even went up to my room and grabbed a few things I forgot after I checked out and had them waiting on me at the desk when I came back by later in the day. She was super cool.

In short, don't stay here. It will make more room for me when I am back in the area!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RoadKing2929
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip and was here for 30+ days. I ended up calling my company and asking to be moved. I travel a lot for work and this was the most miserable stay I have ever had. My room was clean as it had recently been remodeled and I loved the desk area. It is also close to shopping and restaurants The noise level here was the worst ever. I could not get a decent nights sleep or even think during the day to work from the room. It seems the walls are made of paper. They were working on the parking lot when I was there and there was NEVER anyplace for me to park when I got in from work. The front desk instructed me to park at a nearby business complex but then other front desk staff told me not to as it was not safe for me to be walking over at night. There were a lot of small issues that I don't want to write about here. All I can say is that I would keep looking as there are better places nearby. Staying here has cured me of considering Towne Place Suites for future business trips.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that faces the water and not the parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Bonnie R, Manager at TownePlace Suites Detroit Novi, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

I am so sorry to hear about your experience staying here at the TownePlace Suites, I know the parking lot issue was a huge inconvenience!! However all construction has been completed, I would love it if you gave us one more chance to make it right for you!!!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed in building "B". Entrance was dirty, carpet stained. Elevator had debris on floor, third floor carpet in hall was also dirty.

Actual room was not too bad, although some garbage had been left behind. Towels were not the best quality.

Breakfast on the go, was fine.

Not a very good place for the money. Need to lower rate by about 20/night, and then it would fit the conditions of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

I want to say thank you for your comments, and I showed this to my housekeeping and engineering staff. Our public areas have become a focus for us here and I hope that you give us another chance to get it right for you.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Freshly updated with new appliances, fresh paint and new mattress - this is a good value for your vacation dollar! We come at least once a year from Ontario to go to MIS and the NASCAR race - we love the Novi area for great shopping and terrific eateries - we can walk to so many great spots from this hotel. We love having a full kitchenette and very friendly staff - Tavan was very helpful with our check in and follow up service - we will be back!

Room Tip: We prefer to stay on the main floor and ask not to be beside the pool(less chance for noise)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cath_Mike_11

Thank You so much for your comments, we have been working hard to ensure keep up the hard work with are very recent renovations!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself and look forward to seeing you next year.