“Friendly Staff/Thin Walls” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Detroit, Michigan
“Friendly Staff/Thin Walls”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a little over 2 weeks on assignment for work. My overall experience was positive, and every interaction with the staff was positive as they were all helpful and friendly. Unfortunately though the place seems to have been constructed a bit cheaply as I could hear the intimate details of the goings on in neighboring rooms throughout my stay. Though there is not much the staff could do about such a thing, it is advisable to fellow light sleepers to bring ear plugs as you will undoubtedly catch some of what's going on all around you. Perhaps I was unlucky and had inconsiderate neighbors throughout my stay, but the fact remains, even if they were just watching TV, I could hear it, and that was just the beginning.

I'd have no issues with staying here again if work assigned it to me, but I'd definitely bring the ear plugs back too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
N California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

This was our first experience with Extended Stay, and it's important to understand the tradeoffs. More like staying in a lower-end condo than a hotel, but that was ok with us for the reasonable price. No maid service for a week. Kitchen with full size refrigerator, dishes, etc. No pool, spa, or fitness room, etc. The location was not too bad for road noise, but my wife was bothered by the refrigerator humming in the room. You can ask at the desk for items such as shampoo, or individual size packets of dish detergent. Carpet was a little worn, but room was clean. Entrance sign is somewhat hard to see after dark. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are further from parking lot noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank arbornet
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Novi - Haggerty Road, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. I am so glad that you enjoyed the in-room kitchen and our hotel's location. Still, I am sorry that refrigerator made some noise. Please know, our maintenance staff is looking into this issue and will make repairs as needed. It pleases me to know that our staff provided you with friendly and helpful service.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again.
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

This was my first time staying at an Extended Stay America property. I was surprised at how nice the location, the room and the staff all were during my stay. I will have this location at the top of my list the next time I visit the Detroit Metro Area! - Jerome

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jerome S
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Novi - Haggerty Road, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that our staff and the location put us on the top of your list when you next visit the area. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you again!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I was admittedly worried about having to stay at a two-star hotel in a suburb of Detroit, but this property was a real delight for its two-star status.

The hotel clamors for Trip Advisor reviews immediately upon entrance.

The property had everything one needed for a stay, including a decent bed, flat screen with cable, hot water, etc. It also comes equipped with a full kitchen (minus oven) and sets of cookware and plates. A bonus was the "grab and go" breakfast, which is right by the front desk and consisted of coffee, fruit, oatmeal packets, and oatmeal bars. Because I eat oatmeal on a daily basis, this was perfect for me. Free internet too.

All staff members were exceedingly friendly and professional and it felt as though they were being genuine, which was a great change.

A little off-putting to have to be buzzed in upon our late arrival the first night, but I guess that goes with the territory nowadays. Another downside was placement in a handicapped room, despite the fact that we were not handicapped and had not requested it.

Guests are treated to a free "welcome basket" upon registering in which popcorn, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and shampoo appear (note: only hard soap is provided in the room).

All sorts of chain restaurants and stores within a mile, as well as a 20+ screen movie theater (south on Haggerty, right about at Six Mile).

As a runner, I was more than pleased to discover a multi-mile (as in 20+) bike trail paralleling I-275, although it is not signed at all. What you need to do if you want to take advantage is head to a major intersection on Haggerty (8 Mile, 7 Mile, 6 Mile, etc.) and look for the nondescript paved path by 275. The path parallels the freeway but does make you cross every one of the major streets with a stoplight and you'll need to watch out for motorists exiting from the off-ramps, as they seem to have little regard for users of the trail (I was almost hit three times during my three runs by cars turning right on reds without stopping or looking and none of the motorists seemed at all shocked or surprised at nearly hitting me).

All-in-all, this property is a great deal and highly recommended! Know that it isn't luxurious in any way, but it is clean, fresh, and pleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Novi - Haggerty Road, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Mark - Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that the staff and I were able to meet and exceed your expectations. I am also so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's location, especially the trails nearby and other establishments in the area. As we strive to provide a "home away from home" to our guests, it's rewarding to read such comments about our property and staff.

Thank you again for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again!
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

This hotel is special and what makes it special is the staffs who work here. Clean rooms, safe location and great people. Initially i moved here for just two months but I ended up staying much longer than that. I loved my stay here now I kind of miss it! Would like to Thank Don, Candice, Tonya, Izak, Andre and other staff members for making my hotel experience very memorable! - Ujjwal

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank thakur_ujjwal
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Novi - Haggerty Road, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such rewarding comments about all of us and our property. It was a great pleasure to have you with us for an extended period of time. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

We stayed here for one night. Our room was very large (it included a kitchen), clean, and comfortable. The only admittedly minor complaint I had was that the bed was queen sized - we prefer a king. The rate was extremely fair ($75-ish/night) as was the non-refundable pet fee ($25/night). The few other area hotels which accepted pets charged a non-refundable fee of at least $100/night which I think is exorbitant. I did not try the breakfast. The hotel is right off the highway and close to several restaurants. All in all, I would stay here again and highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ColoradoSarah44
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Novi - Haggerty Road, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our pet policy and the room you stayed in. We tuly enjoyed having you stay with us. Thank you again for choosing Extended Stay Hotels.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

Booked last minute because of no other vacancies pleasant surprise simple but clean and nice size rooms great coffee at breakfast claims of Michigans best coffee were made. I might not be qualified to judge that. Nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank 1_T_Scot
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Novi - Haggerty Road, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so pleased to hear that we were a pleasant surprise, especially because of our spacious rooms and grab and go breakfast complete with some great coffee!