Extended Stay America - Detroit - Novi - Haggerty Road
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just checked in, and wanted to mention a few issues that should not be occurring in a professionally-managed property.

--In the bathroom, there's a partially used soap by the vanity. On the desk is a used paper towel. In the kitchen is a used dishtowel. Did someone clean this space after the last guest?

--Looks like the HVAC doesn't work. I have the windows open, and it's nice out. Might want to get that fixed.

--Evening desk clerk (name on request) needs some happiness lessons. She demanded my ID, then my credit card, finally acted a little bit friendly when handing over my guest folder.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt. This is my first stay at an extended chain, and so far I like it better than the "regular" places I had to stay in during my last road trip job.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Veloise

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This place is set up for long term stays (hence the name), however, Priceline or Hotwire will send you to this hotel for an overnight stay if you are bidding cheaply for a two star hotel.

If you compared the room to the typical two star hotel, the full size refrigerator is definitely a bonus. The drawback is that you get basic soap and no shampoo in your room. You can ask for extras at the front desk, but I'd prefer to bring some soaps and shampoos that I've collected from other hotels.

There are complimentary breakfast snack bars and coffee in the lobby. Apples and oranges are also provided in a basket (in the lobby).

Dishes, silverware and cookware are not provided in the rooms anymore. Ask for those at the front desk.

A "very good" rating is deserved if you compare this place to other local "two star" hotels. This hotel is designed a little better than many other "Extended stay" hotels that I've experienced. I like the little counters in the halls near the stairways so that you can set your stuff down to get your room card out of your pocket. The coffee cups in the lobby have liquid measurements on them in case you did happen to do some cooking in your room.

Lots of shopping and restaurant choices are located less than a mile away to the South, yet this hotel is located in a quieter area away from the expressway (very good location).

Room Tip: Most of the parking is around the back. Parking lot is always full near the lobby.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flintjarvis
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked this room last minute through hotwire for a pretty good deal. When we arrived, we were greeted by Chris, who was kind and helpful. The room appeared clean and tidy. Everything was fine, until we noticed that there was no microwave in the room and there was a blood-like stain on the bathroom wall, which made me question if the room was clean at all. We also noticed that there were no utensils, and that you have to go to the front desk to get what you need. When we called originally, it took almost a day to get a microwave in our room. We also had to assure the woman on the phone that there wasn't one in there. For some reason she didn't believe us, and was quite rude about it. We also had to get our own towels when we asked for extras due to them being "understaffed". Luckily, we spoke to someone and after some negotiations, we got a free extra day due to our troubles with the room. Although I personally thought the room was fine for the most part, I was disappointed with their lack of service and having to pick up utensils.

Tip to management: Please get rid of this rule of having to pick up anything (utensils, towels, etc.)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is supposed to be extended stay. U have everything u need for " extended " stays. Well, we arrived , no silverware, dishes..... Called and requested. They called back and said you can come pick up your dishes. Then said when I went to pick up, oh , bring back the bin so we don't have to come looking for it. This morning found no shampoo in shower/bath. No blow dryer. Was told we had to wait til one was brought back before we could use one. So we went and bought one. We decided to check out today even tho our reservation was for 2 nights. Moving next door to the Sheraton........ Much nicer establishment . Who has blow dryers in room :)

Room Tip: Beds in a queen room are more like a double bed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is our first time staying in this companies hotels. The outside is painted nice and is attractive. Inside, well they lack anything I remember form a hotel. No water glasses, no pen? No coffee maker (available for rental) Anything you might need they will rent to you, or something like shampoo if you walk to the front desk and ask for it they will give you one. There are 30 hair dryers for the entire hotel and on our arrival they were all rented out. If you were on business had the time to stock the place and the company was paying for all you might need I would come back. You get weekly room cleaning, and as we check in the toilet handle was covered in filth. At the price we paid saving a few bucks didn't pay off. I feel there are far better budget hotel/motels who are still in the customer service business.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at the this place for few months while we were looking for a house when we moved from another state.
This place is really great, it had everything we needed.
From the fridge to the stove and microwave.
The rates were great as well, and if you stay for longer than 30 days, the rates are even better.
It came out cheaper than paying for an apartment and we did not have to worry about breaking a lease or paying all the utility bills.
It was even cheaper than most 1 bedroom rents in the area.
Sure after staying there for over 30 days the space started to feel a little tight, but it was easy to get over that when you look at the other things from the great friendly staff, to the room that has everything you need to the laundry on site, to house keeping our room.
Again this is the place if your looking to stay for a long time in a great area with a great rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had reservations for several days while in town for a convention. We checked in and went in our room it had a very bad smell. It had rained all day and the windows were open. (I'd also like to mention the screens were ripped out) I'd relate the smell to old food maybe? So we went to the front desk and asked for a different room, they gave us a suite. The next evening we needed 2 bath towels and went to the front desk for 2 towels, they didn't have any. How does a hotel not have any extra bath towels? They did give us 3 hand towels and 9 bath mats. Seriously, 9. On the second to last day of our stay while we were walking out of the hotel on our way to the convention (to work) they stopped us and told us that we had to vacate the suite because they needed it for a reservation. They also told us we had to pay an upcharge for the days we were in the suite. After an argument with the front desk as to why we were NOT going to pay for the suite they agreed to not charge us for the suite. We went back to the suite to move our stuff to another room. When going to empty the refrigerator/freezer we realized that it had stopped working over night and all our frozen stuff had thawed. I asked to be reimbursed for the loss of food. They said I had to go buy it again and turn in the receipt to be reimbursed. I still had the receipt from the grocery store and had to demand they reimburse based on that receipt. The hotel did offer a grab and go breakfast which consisted of granola bars, muffins, and coffee. The next night we went to the Quality Inn next door and had a great experience, and a better offering for breakfast. I wish we would have saved the aggravation and just stayed there the entire time.

Room Tip: Try the Quality Inn right next door.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business