“Excellent and expensive sushi”
Review of Maru Sushi & Grill

Maru Sushi & Grill
Ranked #1 of 121 Restaurants in Okemos
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Maru is close to home, so my mom and I stopped by for dinner on a Thursday night. It's a pretty small restaurant, so we called ahead to reserve a table before we left. It's a casually elegant and appealing space, a bit noisy though.

The menu is more creative than your average sushi place. They have a large range of sashimi/ngiri and your standard makis, but their specialty rolls are a very unique sort. Nice to see something besides the usual combinations you see at every sushi restaurant. We started with seaweed salads (a more abundant portion than you usually get), and I got a miso soup. Then we shared the beef/asparagus appetizer which is delicious - it's asparagus wrapped in beef and seared, served with a sweet dipping sauce. Then my mom got some salmon ngiri and I got a plate of sashimi. You can basically pick your price (in our case, $20) and they fill your plate with a beautifully arrange chef's choice of sashimi. We got loads! Something like eight different kinds of fish, at least two pieces of each. The salmon was lovely, the red tuna, the seared/crusted tuna, and....lots of other fish that I've forgotten! But it was all fresh and looked beautiful on the plate.

The only thing about this place is that, as my mom estimates, it's twice as expensive as Sansu (my favorite sushi in the area). And I'm not sure it's twice as good. It is more upscale, the menu is more creative and modern, and the fish is equally fresh if not a bit fresher. But to me, this is more special occasion sushi, given the prices. But they do have some absolutely outstandingly fresh and luscious sashimi. For raw fish fans, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Very good presentation, taste, and service toward their food. And, their lunch specials will stuff you for a modest cost. Totally recommended!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I travel a lot for business and because my wife doesn't like sushi I make it a point to try sushi restaurants whereever I go.

This was good sushi.

Really, really good Sushi. I mean REALLY good sushi.

Some awesome specialty rolls. Their Surf and Turf Roll was great.

Their hibachi items looked good too. I didn't have one but I saw several come out of the kitchen and they looked great.

The servers were all super friendly and nice. They all worked together to make sure the customers are taken care of. It is no wonder this place is rated #1 restaurant in Okemos. The food, the servers, the manager...all work together to knock it out of the park at a very reasonable price.

Working on a project near Lansing for the next several months so this will be a regular stop for me!

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Finally made it to this Maru in Okemos and it's just as amazing as the one in East Lansing. I cannot get enough of the squid and seaweed salad! Quality is served here in a clean and politeful way. Whenever I'm in the area and ready for some clean eating and a healthy treat, it'll be hard to NOT eat at Maru... Just wonderful!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have been there a few times first time few times it was busy. Last time we went around 8pm and the rush was winding down. Still we had to wait to have a table and even after that it took them more than 15 mins to take the drinks order. Finally when the food arrived it was about an hour or more of waiting. The waitress did not check to see if we needed anything after the food was served. We had to wave her down to ask for the check. It took more than 20 minutes for her to bring back the check. Although the food was decent and presentation was fancy, I would not go there as there are a few other quality Sushi places in town with good service.

1  Thank ErangiW