“Local sourcing to the extreme”
Review of Red Haven

Red Haven
Ranked #6 of 120 Restaurants in Okemos
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The owners are into local sourcing to a fault. If it is made or grown in Michigan, good or not, it is the preferred item. The attitude that they know what you should eat and drink and that your opinions do not count is not one that I am willing to experience again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Please see the review from May 8th, 2014 titled "Sodium Overdose"...it was the exact experience we had last night!!! Let me start with the positives...the service was good and I enjoyed my wine. The presentation is definitely beautiful. The Ravioli was to die for :)

We also ordered 4 plates, and 3 out of the 4 were so ridiculously salty! The Simmer, The Chip and The Toast. Yuck! We should have ordered more of the heftier plates (we definitely didn't get enough to eat) but the prices held us back. So four plates, a glass of wine and a martini ended up costing us $70 (with tip). Way too much for the amount we got and the quality of what we had :( I can't believe I didn't have an instant headache or stroke from the salt intake.

Something else that kind of grossed us out...the tables are a "weathered" wood with cracks and crevices of which food was stuck in. Very unsanitary and unappetizing. Good theory but tables need to be treated somehow!

Definitely won't be back. To pay $70 for so little, so salty...I'm actually a little bit bitter this morning :(

4  Thank Wanderluster1977
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We thought we would give it a try for a second time.. We went there last October and it was pretty good, although the potato's were a bit salt heavy.. This time the first corse was the "Simmer" (a Soup).. Woh... A Major salt overdose that ruined our pallets for the rest of the meal... We sent it back after a couple sips.. Hoped that the next corse would make it better.. No such luck.. The sauce had a major overdose of salt as well. They also threw quite a bit of corse sea salt on top for an added bonus if you did not get enough. We have been to many great restaurants all over and never had this much salt... The problem I feel is this, Once you have knocked your pallet with this high of salt level.. There is no flavor.. The little that we could taste of the flavors under the salt had great potential... We were hungry and ate levels of sodium that we should have sent back. These chef's perhaps need to advance a bit by trying some other notable chef's salt levels.. also, They did not seem concerned about our comments and this makes me question if they tasted any of it at all before serving..
Won't be back for quite a while.. 4 very small tapas plates, one glass of wine, one glass of beer $75.00

4  Thank g b
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Excellent chef and staff. Amazing small plates to share. Fabulous experience with a newer concept of eating. Must try if you're in the area.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Red Haven is a wonderful addition to the area.
Love the tapas style and the unusual menu. This was my first visit to Red Haven and look forward to returning with friends.
An anxious for all local summer and fall produce to become available to enjoy what they will offer on their menu.