“They care”

Harris Nature Center
Ranked #4 of 19 things to do in Okemos
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The people here care about their mission, and seem to want to ensure that visitors both learn, and enjoy themselves. Exhibits are well done; hiking trails are good, and this facility has become more important in our community.

1  Thank Realkayakjack

Reviewed 29 July 2013

There is a partially paved nature walk available. the nature center has a restroom, some aquariums to view live creatures as well as some stuffed. They are in the process of adding a wondrous play area for children but it will probably take a couple years.

1  Thank Angelic1Ang
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I was excited to visit Harris Nature Center for the first time. The walk looked lush with leaves this time of year. On the first time, we spent all our time in the fantastic visitor center, where we watched 6 baby mice squirm around in a snake's cage, turtles wading around water, & red-shouldered hawks flutter on their branches. We were not able to take the walk because of the mosquitos. Actually from the walk to & from our car, I got bitten 8 times. The next day, my sons & I returned armed with bug spray. We started the walk but turned back after 25 yards because my infant & the stroller was swarming with mosquitos. I didn't put bug spray on him, so I was worried he'd get swollen like a melon if we stayed out too long. Plus, even though I had sprayed my arms, legs, & clothes, I forgot to spray my hair & got bit twice on the scalp. Ugh. On the third time, I set up a play date for story time. The story time was so-so. The books were able camouflage & animals, & the activity had nothing to do with camouflage (the kids stuffed their hands in a vat of uncooked rice & fished out weird plastic animals). We went further on the walk this time, but turned around early because of mosquitos. I am most definitely a wuss around mosquitos, so imagine a scene from a horror movie. My 3 year old propped himself up on the stroller & I raced back to the visitor center while mosquitos hovered all over us. Bug spray keeps them from biting, but they are still so annoying. But the play date was a success because we moms sat in the quiet, empty visitor center chatting while our kids ran around and stared at animals. It was pleasant indoors. When we left, I sat in the car for 5 minutes and looked all over the inside to kill the mosquitos that followed us in (that's the kind of wuss I am).
I will be eager to return to Harris Nature Center when the mosquitos are gone. For now, when we visit, I've already warned my son that we're not setting foot on the trail & will stay in the visitor center to visit the animals.