“Friendly staff, quiet hotel”

Fairfield Inn East Lansing
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Okemos
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Wonderful, friendly front desk staff. Quiet, pleasant, and comfortable. Close to Michigan State and restaurants

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 October 2011

While the NCAA does the college football fan no favors scheduling 8pm kickoffs for TV, booking area hotels have allowed us to enjoy the games without the nagging thoughts of having to drive home into the wee hours of Sunday morning. For the recent MSU/Wisconsin game, we had the pleasure of staying at the Fairfield Okemos. We found out the next morning that it took us less time to get from campus to the Fairfield than it took friends to drive to hotels much closer to campus. The Grand River to Okemos Rd. route took no time at all. The staff was extremely friendly & helpful, room was clean and comfortable and breakfast the next morning was excellent, even as compared with the breakfasts we have experienced at other properties of this same chain. They do demand top dollar for an "event" weekend, but was worth the price given the option of being on the road until 3am.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Hotel stay was routine for a Fairfield Inn. No surprises or disappointments.The hotel is located close to several restaurants within easy walking distance. The overall price/value is exceptional as it usually is with all Fairfield Inns

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ErieBoater
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I purchased 2 rooms for our family for a one night stay via Priceline, and despite some of the stories I've read about being treated less-than-politely by staff at various hotels because of this, we had no problems. The young woman at the desk who greeted us was very pleasant. Our rooms were clean and well maintained. Our kids' room had a slight musty odor when we arrived, but turning on the air conditioning solved that issue. The walls and doors are a bit thin, so one can hear the goings on, but fortunately we didn't have a problem. The only problem we had was in the breakfast area in the morning. Although the person working it was friendly, she was not present enough. Because we couldn't find her we had to eat our eggs, sausage and a waffle with a spoon (forks were gone when we arrived 1/2 hour before the hours ended). However, for $65 I wasn't expecting the Ritz, so I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again for the right price.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for a room at the end of the hall on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Reserved rooms because of ATF at the Breslin Center. The hotel kept trying to have us change our rooms from a double to a King. Our group was split up and not given rollaway beds because we believe they overbooked rooms. People had to sleep on the floor. We asked for extra blankets at 6pm and by midnight we had not receieved them. The manager of the hotel knew they were sold out, and left only one person for the whole hotel in charge.No housekeeping for 6 hours? We had to get in line and wait for blankets until after midnight because only one person was working and he said he could noy help us unless we came to him. People were allowed to hang in the hall and talk.We were told that our tv was too loud, but it was to drown out all the noise from the hallway. Who would tell them to stop, the one and only person left in charge? Funny, they had no problem cantacting our room! They would not even honor our tax exempt status!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I checked in at 6 pm after a long day with much work to do in the evening. I had been given an "upgrade" because of my Marriott rewards status. The room was on the first floor (there was no similar room on the second), it smelled of smoke and the window lock wasn't secure. I looked at it and immediately asked for a second floor room. I was told they couldn't give me one and, if I didn't want the room, I would be charged since it was after 6 pm. This left me with a very poor impression of their customer service. It took a call to a manager before the room charge was deleted and I found myself searching for a new place at the last minute, but with no intention of returning to the Fairfield. (The hotel computer wasn't working to help me with my search, either.)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2008

I was very happy with the value at this particular Fairfield Inn. I had a long day of business (started in Detroit, then to Ann Arbor before East Lansing in the evening) and was too tired at the end of the day to head back to the Detroit area so at the last minute I was able to secure a room.
At $129 for a room with a jacuzzi, I was sold. The property is very basic, nothing fancy, but it was clean and well maintained. The in-room jacuzzi was actually quite fancy with a waterfall flowing down the back of it and submerged lights all around. The jacuzzi is located in the room itself so I was able to relax while watching a football game on the television. Towels were on the small side, but two did the job.
If you need good, basic accommodations in the MSU area, this is a solid choice.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okemos
Staybridge Suites East Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
Hampton Inn & Suites East Lansing / Okemos
#13 of 26 in Lansing
Hyatt Place Lansing
Hyatt Place Lansing
#1 of 26 in Lansing

Been to Fairfield Inn East Lansing? Share your experiences!