“Not Bad” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orion
Rockford, Michigan
“Not Bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Stayed over on a Saturday night with my three daughters. It was our girls shopping trip and for the first time we decided to spend the night. I looked for a decent hotel in that area with a pool and found this one. The room was decent size, we had 2 double beds. Separated by a glass type wall/desk, there was also a couch. Bathroom was decent, although, my 6 year old couldn't reach the toilet paper without hopping off the toilet. We only had one TV in our room, which I thought was quite odd...I thought that there should have been one for the "bedroom" area and one for the "living area", but there wasn't. The microwave and fridge also came in handy for our stay. The pool was VERY small and only was 3-1/2 feet at it's deepest. The whirlpool felt like a bath, the jets barely created a wrinkle on the surface. I don't know if it was the walls that were thin, but I did hear a lot of hallway noise. I blame this on the guests though as well. We teach our children to be extra quiet in the halls so as not to disturb other guests, and at 4:00 am I hear adults in the halls having conversations in their normal voices. I just think it's disrespectful, the hotel can't keep out all the noises. Check in was a breeze, nothing special either way. Breakfast could have been refilled more promptly, when things were getting low, it should have been noticed instead of waiting until things were empty to prepare more and make the guests wait. But, it had eggs, sausage and muffins to make your own egg mcmuffins, yogurt, apples, cereal, bread, bagels, make your own waffles (with syrup or strawberries or bananas). And juices, though one side needed to be refilled and never was the entire time we were down there. The particular area looks to be just getting developed, not a lot of options on the same road...Jimmy Johns, McDonalds, Guidos Pizza, and Culvers. Trying to get into the hotel/restaurant areas is a little challenging, our GPS didn't quite do the job. We had to do a couple of Michigan turns to figure it out.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Familytravels8799
Joleisha B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Auburn Hills, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for your four star review. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

I have spent approx 60 nights here in the past 18 months and it is always been pleasurable. Rooms are large, very clean...the hotel is very quiet, and the staff quite attentive.

Lots of space in rooms, which include desks and 2 tv's (in most rooms). The free breakfast in the morning is nice and the location allows for many dining options.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your five star review. We hope to see you again in the near future
Bay City, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

This has been the worst time I ever had with a hotel . Hotel would not accept a gift certificate and I made the reservation with the hotel themselves. The agm was one the rudest people that I have ever came across. The hotel said I could use the the gift card when making the reservation when I got the I was told I could not. The reason that I received it in the first place was due a past visite and we had to move three times because of dirty sheets and rooms.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Cazn1818
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

The hotel itself is very clean and seems relatively new (or at least well kept!) The place was rather loud though. There were a group of 20-somethings in the room next to me having a bit of a party (on a Tuesday night in the burbs no less) with techno music and plenty of conversation and all of that was well heard inside my room. I turned on the air conditioning which was near to the bed and luckily the white noise from that drowned out the music and conversation from the next room.

The other thing that was strange was that the elevator was SOOOOO slow...

I would have to say that the noise factor is my biggest complaint but otherwise the hotel is not bad if you get on a quieter floor.

The breakfast was decent with a fair amount of choices, though the coffee was a little odd (I spiked the regular coffee with their dark roast, but that didn't really seem to help make it that much stronger) - it wasn't the best coffee, I'll leave it at that!

The location is right by the Palace and near local businesses.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

Pretty decent food for breakfast. Rooms are nice though they have two TVs and one remote which is compatible with both TVs. So turning one off isn't possible without turning the other on, very odd. Also their Internet doesn't remember your Mac Id so you need to go through their website login everytime your phone or computer goes to sleep and loses connection. This is really annoying.

• Stayed July 2012
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Pros:
Super close to The Palace, property is new and very clean

Cons:
Super noisy, strange room layout, argumentative front desk attendant, one of two elevators out of service during visit

Stayed here for 5 nights in May 2012. I travel weekly for work and have to say that this is one of the noisiest major-brand hotels that I have ever stayed at. If people are talking in the hallway, you will be part of the conversation. Neighbors in the other room? Might as well watch what they are because you'll be able to hear it. Trying to sleep later than your neighbor? Hopefully he/she doesn't have an alarm set or take a shower because you'll be up when they are.

Aside from the thin walls, the hotel is passable. Consistent breakfast, good internet connection, clean. However, if I am back in the area I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GoGetemTiger
lizkaplan, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Auburn Hills, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback concerning our hotel. I am so sorry about your experience with the noise level during your visit. I really hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future, for we do our best to ensure all of our guests satsifaction and security. I am curious about this argumentative front desk agent. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to elaborate.
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Let me start with what I believe is the best feature of this hotel -- the free shuttle to the Palace of Auburn Hills. If you want to go to a game or concert and not worry about parking or drinking one too many giant stadium-style beers, then this is the place to stay, hands down. Our shuttle driver was polite and funny, and he took us right up to the door at the beginning of the concert we were attending. Then, at the end of the concert, he was right outside the door again waiting to take us back to the hotel. No hassle, no waiting to get out of the parking lot, no driving.

Supposedly there are other hotels that offer the same service, but we did not see any other hotel shuttle busses at the end of the concert. As a matter of fact, people kept walking up to our van driver asking for other hotels. Clearly, if there were other hotel shuttles operating for the event, they were not readily available at the end of the concert.

Beyond the shuttle, this is by far the closest hotel to the Palace (literally within walking distance), plus it's new and reasonably priced. Our suite was HUGE with a walk-in closet, a wrap-around couch, desks, tables, microwave, fridge, etc. The furniture in the room looked like what you'd buy at IKEA -- the semi-disposable Swedish variety. The furnishings will probably be trashed within a few years, but they still looked fine when we were there. The bed was comfy enough, and the breakfast room was big -- but we didn't stay late enough to grab breakfast.

There was definitely some partying going on after our concert, but our room was fairly quiet and we slept well. What more could we ask for? For your next visit to the Palace, don't overlook this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheInternationalLine
David S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Auburn Hills, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback concerning your visit. We are happy you enjoyed yourself during your visit to The Palace! Come back and see us again for the next concert......Liz Kaplan, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orion
Quality Inn Auburn Hills
Quality Inn Auburn Hills
#1 of 17 in Auburn Hills
Hampton Inn Detroit / Auburn Hills - North (Great Lakes Crossing Area)
TownePlace Suites Detroit Auburn Hills
Hyatt Place Auburn Hills
Hyatt Place Auburn Hills
#4 of 17 in Auburn Hills
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Auburn Hills
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

Been to SpringHill Suites Detroit Auburn Hills? Share your experiences!