“On the Beach”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Oscoda
Michigan
“On the Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We had a great time at Mai Tiki. Nice clean beach and cottages were very clean, each one unique and colorful. The owners are very nice and ready to help in any way possible. I would recommend Mai Tiki for a nice relaxing vacation. You must bring your own towels but not a big deal as long as you realize it before hand

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

When I say "simply the best" or "owner care" in the title here, I'm speaking from long-experience, as I used to live in Oscoda, and after I moved 'downstate' as we call it here in Michigan, this resort became my new "home" in the area. It's transferred ownership since I was last in the area to stay -- and to truly wonderful, talented people who not only care for the absolutely UNMATCHED beach and property qualities, (from cabins to beautiful condo-style rooms and suites), but to that rare set of individuals in this business who also TRULY care for their guests. They do this not just for the "business", and it shows. Their actions alone speak to how they handle every part of their operation, from its infrastructure to the obvious care in choosing their employees, and to how they, themselves, are set apart from other hospitality industry owners/operators in that they're caring for people FIRST, with pure business aspects of such an enterprise coming second ... especially when it counts.

This could not be better illustrated than by how they have recently treated me, entirely unknown to them at first, when I came up to attend to a very personal tragedy in terms of losing my child at the end of April -- and, strangely enough, precisely on the weekend that these "owners" (I'm sorry -- can hardly think of them that way now), were just beginning to open the resort as a whole for the season. It was perhaps "fate", in a way, that I just happened to catch them while they were there off/on that weekend, to ask if "my usual cabin" would be available for me to stay in as I often had before -- whether there to spend time with my son in "our favorite hometown" (work pulled me away from Oscoda, although it remained "our home" in so many ways -- and still does, for me, to the extent that I will most likely be moving back soon), or, in between, stayed in the very same cabin, every time (whenever it was available, anyway) throughout short or long periods of shooting an outdoor television show wherein I was the 'angler' of the group of outdoors professionals. Theresa and Paul, though, without even knowing about my son's passing, saw what was later described as a 'near urgency' in my eyes that I stay there even if they weren't "officially open" yet (in terms of their own expectations of how the resort should be represented to guests), especially in that particular cabin, and went BEYOND the call, in every way, to make sure that THAT cabin, before their other ones and/or their more luxurious hotel rooms/suites, could be made ready for their first guest of the season. The resort hadn't even officially opened yet, as I've mentioned; and still, they opened their hearts to a complete stranger in this way -- and the updates in the cabin itself since I'd last been there, were of course wonderful as they continue to strive to improve/update and make Mai Tiki Resort even more beautiful, in every way, than it always was.

Once they learned who I was, what had happened, and that we had a memorial service planned for Oscoda as well as another one, later, downstate for local family/friends to mourn my son's passing ... the outpouring of true emotion and care, the ways in which they went OUT OF THEIR WAY, SO many times, to make sure that we ALL had whatever/however/whenever, etc. that we may ever have wanted or needed (or didn't even know we would, frankly, because we were all still in shock, I believe) -- while they were still readying the full resort for its more official opening ... simply extraordinary in the way that ONLY extraordinary INDIVIDUALS can be in their willingness to show respect, kindness, and ... I don't even know HOW to describe it, especially as words fail me while this loss is still so profound and recent. What I can express, however, is that they weren't doing any of it for "revenue" or "great press" ... they were doing it, personally, because of, simply, who they ARE. I will be forever grateful, as will my family/friends who were there and/or who couldn't stay as long as we did, but felt comforted, too, by simply "knowing" that I was not just "in good hands" when they had to leave ... but may as well have been in FAMILY hands, considering how much simply being there meant to ME, and how I/we were being treated by ALL Mai Tiki staff.

This review may be terribly composed, I realize, so please forgive that part of it; but I didn't want to wait another day to "tell the world" of this beautiful, peaceful place you will NOT find anywhere else in the world, and most certainly, the MOST caring of people who now own it who will move heaven and earth to make your stay there the peaceful, fun, comfortable [or insert your own 'need', and if possible, they'll make it so for you while you're in their care] 'vacation' you would want for yourself, and/or your family. The beach frontage is huge and pristine, with the endless horizon of the majestic Lake Huron the FIRST thing to greet you every morning with the sun's rising ... the enormous beach area and play area for adults AND children to simply spread out and enJOY Michigan's gorgeous sands -- amazing! There is more than enough room at this resort, ESPECIALLY, for both large groups and more intimate couples or solitary travelers to find whatever it is each might be looking for in terms of either a large group to have a blast, or a solo traveler or couple to set themselves apart from the larger groups and simply ... find tranquility.

The grand Au Sable River, rated one of the finest trout streams in the country, is a mere few miles away, its mouth into Lake Huron and harbor/marina area(s) offering you MUCH more in the way of fishing for ALL kinds of fresh water fish during spring and fall runs, or simply summer "fishin'", let alone the place you'd BEST want to be to boat, canoe, tube, kayak, jet-ski ... or to get yourself into some very exciting off-shore trolling for huge lakers and browns, steelies and salmon -- and need I even mention the ever-present perch, walleye, bass in the upper reaches, as WELL as the beloved trout? Because, truly, there really aren't ANY fish in fresh water you won't find in or near Oscoda; and, as a former professional angler, if you want to try multi-species, multi-techniques, and seriously multi-FUN -- you WILL want your "base of operations" at Mai Tiki, so that, at the end of the day (or night, grin), you can return to another kind of heaven to contemplate your adventures on that extraordinary beach, to grill the freshest, tastiest fresh-water fish on the planet ... and to be taken CARE of by people, if you get to know them, you will always later consider friends far more than you will mere "proprietors of a resort".

I cannot thank Theresa, Paul, and the rest for ALL that they have done for me, personally -- again, not knowing me at ALL when I first arrived during their own first day of opening up, turning on water, beginning even more remodeling/landscaping, etc. ... in the midst of ALL of their own hard work, and it's extensive, they absolutely STOPPED, looked at me as a PERSON, opened their hearts AND "my" cabin for me ... and in those moments? Before they even knew I'd just lost my son, they became so much more to me than simply people to "do business with" ... more than the "anonymous desk clerks" or "owners of a resort property" ... they became friends I'll respect and hold dear for the rest of my life.

So, while I've read some of the less than "excellent" reviews here, and honestly, was taken aback by a couple that, honestly, shouldn't have been written on ANY level, let alone on the levels they were -- please discard those in your mind. If you wish the BEST in terms of location and beach frontage and access to Lake Huron, let alone the BEST in terms of what client SERVICE is truly all about? Then there's really no other choice for you BUT Mai Tiki.

I write this not as a grieving, appreciative mother, but as a professional woman who has traveled extensively across the globe, used to live IN Oscoda itself and certainly knows the area and offerings intimately, and as a fellow traveler and human being, who appreciates it when business owners aren't simply "operating a business", but who truly CARE about each and every move they make for their GUESTS. You simply will NOT find another property OR other resort owners, anywhere -- let alone on the east side of Michigan, near and/OR directly on Lake Huron & the AuSable River -- which could please you (and/or your family) more on any level.

Thank you again, my new friends, from the bottom of my heart. I'm sure I will see you soon, and I look forward to it -- as I will even more so every single time I'm in Oscoda from now on, whether or not I end up back "home" to stay, sooner than later.

Room Tip: With SO many to choose from, given availability -- take a look around (virtually or on site), ask qu...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank Connie N
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

It's ashame that the review posted on July 1, 2012 by Bob the Slob stating how ungreatful his stay at Mai Tiki resort was. When in fact, I was there a week earlier, with my family of four, and our stay was completely the opposite. It was our first time ever at Mai Tiki Resort and it was the most highest hospitality I have ever recieved in my life. All the staff were so kind, generous, helpful, considereate, caring and devoted. Our one week stay at Mai Tiki made our vacation the best in years. One example: Our son had an accident in his sleep. That morning, I went to the front office to ask if we could get the sheets changed. The housekeeper was not currently on site, so the nice young lady from the office came over to our cabin and did it herself. I mean most vacation resorts would have made you wait for housekeeping. She literally was at my cabin 3 minutes after I left the office. I call that SERVICE! If you have any issues with anything, any employee there knows how to handle it, in a quick and professional manner. We are returning for the 2013 year. We are excited. So excited, infact we have already started getting things together, buying things, preparing. Its only March 4. Their newly remodeled cabins are great. The one we stayed in had a loft. It was amazing. Each cabin has a different theme. My sister and her kids stayed two cabins down. 100% redone inside. Flat screen, tile floors, new appliances, new bedroom, bathroom completely ceramic tile (Walls, Floors, Even the shower and in the shower was a built in seat) This cabin I thought was a perfect romantic getaway for two. I mean every cabin serves its own purpose. You can visit there for a 100% full tour, as we did in the fall of 2011. Pick the cabin that suits your family best. The movie at night right on the beach, was excellent. My kids enjoyed it as much as your children would. While the movie is running, watch it with them or have some alone adult time with your significant other. You can see the kids sitting right outside your cabin. The safety is all there. All the guests themselves were nice and friendly. Kids play with kids, adults hang with adults. It doesnt get better when everyone has a great time. The Resort supplies the first amount of firewood. if you choose to have a late night you are allowed to purchase firewood of your own to keep it going. Overall, this is the best vacation we've been on. We live in Michigan. It's nice to feel like you're in paradise only a couple hundred miles from home. Excellent!!!! A+++++ Thank you all Mai Tiki Staff. You were all wonderful. See you in June 2013. :-) I've posted some photos for review Enjoy

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Michael E
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Just wanted to thank all the people at Mai Tiki for the great time we had last summer and being able to get our favorite cabin reserved again for 2013. Vacations at the Tiki have become a tradition for our family and it is nice to be locked in again for next summer. The HUGE white sandy beach is our favorite but this year sitting out under the stars watching Movie On The Beach was blast. Popcorn and all :) Thanks again, SM

4 Thank unSalty1
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

LOVED this place! Took a family vacation for 4 nights at Mai Tiki. We stayed in an upper condo which was spotlessly cleaned and huge. Mom, dad and 4 boys (20 months - 10 years) had plenty of room to spread out.

The beach is absolutely huge, so there is plenty of room down there so you aren't on top of other guests. The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful.

The kids were able to go out and hang out with their new friends on the beach while mom and dad could watch them from upstairs. I would suggest if you have kids to look into a lower level condo or one of the cottages...this way you are that much closer to the beach.

There was bonfire every night, only once did the crowd get a little too rowdy, I think they were up until about 4am. Wasn't a problem, but it was a little on the loud side. We had a movie night on the beach, they bring out huge beanbag pillows and watch on the side of the tiki bar. The kids loved this!

One review mentioned road noise, the resort is right off of US23 (like all the resorts in the area) so yes you can hear the cars, but nothing out of the ordinary. The other guests were extremely nice, and everyone minded their manners, there was no one taking other people's stuff.

This was our first time here and while there we booked a week for next summer and have family coming up with us. I would not hesitate for a second about staying here again!

Room Tip: Condo #'s 5 and 10 are end units (10 is the 2nd story) and these have decks off the side and you...
5 Thank peter p
Huntington, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

...but it could not have been the same Mai Tiki where I stayed for four days.

When I first approached the place, I was not sure what to expect. When I went to the office to get my keys, I was shocked by the screen door being locked. I started thinking about the one review about no attendant.; but I was surprised at how quickly they responded to the door and they were really nice.

Got the keys and went to the cabin, and was shocked at the appearance of the cottage. It was not even close to what I expected, it was immaculate and looked like a Hawaiian hut inside with bamboo walls and chairs.

Someone before us had broken the screen and one of the attendants came out and fixed it for us right away. They even patiently tried to help this noob grillman with his lighter problems (eventually they just gave me matches...lol)

I really enjoyed my stay there.and I would recommend this place for a vacation.

I only have one comment about the cottage. It didn't bother me personally, but why are there not places for hangers?

4 Thank ed m
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

My family rented 2 condos at the Mai Tiki Resort for 1 week, and were extremely happy with the accomodations and the resort. The view of the water from our condo was breathtaking, and we enjoyed being right on the beach. We were worried that the 2 bedroom condo would be too small to accomodate 3 pack and plays, but with a little furniture re-arranging, we were able to do it! Theresa (the owner) and staff were always on site to help with anything we needed, including providing us charcoal for the fabulous Weber grills that each unit had, fans, vacuum, pans, etc. They were always incredibly kind and gracious, and even started the bonfire pit early one night for the kids who needed to go to bed earlier. We loved the movies on the beach...so great to hang out on comfy bean bags and watch family friendly movies. The other people staying at the resort were kind, respectful, and lots of fun! The value was incredible for all the amenities, and the air conditioning in the condo was awesome for the really hot days of July. The palapas on the beach, and the palapa umbrellas on all the picnic tables really helped us feel that we were in the caribbean. The beach was beautiful, and the water clear and warm. It was so fun to body surf when we had some big waves. We will be back to stay at this fabulous resort!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank goddessjackie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oscoda
Camp Inn Lodge
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
#7 of 10 in Oscoda
Huron House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Mai Tiki Resort? Share your experiences!