“The Worst Experience of my golfing life, won't be back!”

Lakewood Shores Resort - The Gailes Golf Course
Ranked #12 of 16 things to do in Oscoda
More attraction details
Owner description: This course is part of a highly-rated resort complex.
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Firstly, I want to say that the staff at The Gailes could not have been more helpful on the day. I live in Scotland and a friend and I traveled to Michigan to play golf. This was the first of a 4 day side trip to Northern Michigan. We also played Forest Dunes, Boyne Alpine and Monument and Arcadia Bluffs.

My friend who lives in Michigan booked the Blackshire and Gailes in October 2012. He paid deposits for the accommodation in Jan/Feb. He received a call from the resort in Mar/Apr asking if we wouldn't mind flipping our rounds. Wew had been due to play The Gailes in the morning. He agreed.

On arrival at the Blackshire we were not told of the significant casual water, however that's an aside.

After lunch at the main clubhouse we were told that the visiting party of 64 Canadian golfers had been put out in groups of 8 and 10. Can you believe that? Unheard of!!! We were asked to go out in a seven-some. Can you believe THAT? We said no and that we would go out as planned in a three and four and would play through the groups. We were told that wasn't possible. After much discussion, consideration and debate with the larger group, we were left with little alternative so we played in a seven-ball group. It was horrendous. We passed adjacent to the visiting party of Canadians and they were loud. raucous and drunk. They showed no consideration for other gofers or the cours, lying around on greens, swilling beer and generally lacking in etiquette.

It should never have been allowed to happen. The whole thing was a farce and very poorly managed. We will not be back and will not recommend this course ever!

4  Thank PARtisan
"track"
"scratch"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Different type of course to what we are used to playing. Links style. Would recommend going from white tees as that would fit most handicaps. Some of the guys went from blues which were in a lot of cases on the gold tees which made the course average out to 6700 years. Too long for many of the players

Reviewed 7 June 2013

We decided to book Lakewood Shores as a golf getaway for my brothers bachelor (May 30th-June 3rd, 2013). I found the desk staff to be very accomodating and friendly. I am going to speak to the past reviews as they relate to our expereience.

Accomodations - definately older and cottage style. We didnt really find them to be dirty as there was maid service daily. Stayed in a jacuzzi two bedroom suite. The decor needs updating but we were happy with the ammenties. I do agree 100% that the no wifi in the rooms was disapointing! But we were there to golf, not to be on our phones and laptops.

Proshop- I dealt with an older lady in the shop. I found her to be a bit braisen at first but once you started talking with her she was more than helpful. Shop seemed to be fully stocked when we were there.

Food - the package we chose included breakfast only. It was well stocked and fresh. The only one thing was the fruits were gross. As in a previous review they were uncovered and I grabbed an orange that had mold on it. This was very unappealing. The "hot" food was fresh however. Coffee was topped off regularily and good. We found a restaurant about 10 minutes from the resort called "Wiltsies - family pub". I highly recommend it. Excellent food. We went there 3 times for dinner.

Golf -
The Gailes - a must play! best links style course I have ever played. I just wish we had booked it a couple of times. Hope you hit the ball long as there are 2 par 4's longer than 475yds. I did get dominated by blackflies becauase at that point I had not purchased bug spray. Its a must for all these courses.
The Blackshire - another interesting course, definately not boring with rolling greens and wooded fairways. I didnt find it to be all that tough but I quite enjoyed it.
The Seradella - Standard golf course. Nothing to special about it really. It was in nice condition. If I book again i would play it the least out of the three courses.
The Wee Links - We had a blast on this little course. played skins as a group and the holes are all that awkward distance. It added some great value to the overall stay.

Being from Ontario, Canada this style of golf package isnt really exsistent. It was our first golf vacation so I apologize we have nothing to compare to. All I can say is that we really enjoyed our stay and it was worth its cost.

1  Thank Golfproken
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Must play! Different course than any other I have played. The fairways are fast with tons of little bunkers and bumps and hills. If you miss those, you are in tall heather! The greens are in great shape, but tough if you miss long. Huge sod faced bunkers can hurt your score in a hurry.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I work very hard all year and look forward to our summer vacation. We made a big mistake this year, we didn't review TripAdvisor before we made our reservations at Lakewood Shores Resort. We based our decision solely on the "history" of the Gailes Golf Course. What a mistake!!

We stayed at the resort lodging facilities located just a 1/4 of a mile from the golf course. The accommodations were the horrible. The room was very outdated and dirty. Flies and mosquitoes were all over the room. The bathroom was really nasty. The tub had soap scrum and the floor had not been cleaned in a long time. (my white socks were brown after walking on the floors) The beds did not have proper mattress covers that fit. Over all the accommodations were below what one would expect from a low priced roadside "hourly" motel. It is also important to note that there is no wireless or wired internet at the resort other than in the restaurant area during operating hours.

We attempted to eat once in the restaurant but quickly changed our minds when we saw that it was buffet style with bread and fruits left uncovered with flies landing on them.

Because we are optimistic people, we held out thinking the golf would be worth it. As with many golfers, we look forward to purchasing a golf shirt from every golf course we play. The older lady in the golf shop was rude when we asked if she had any additional sizes. The selection was limited and many of the shirts were from a previous tournament.

Still hoping for a good day on the golf course...we soon decided that we were on a "National Lampoons Vacation"! The golf course could be compared to a regular public course. Refreshments on the course were limited as well to only beer and water (no snacks).

Bottom-line this we left this resort early. Lesson learned - read TripAdvisor before making reservations!

The town of Oscoda is very poor with only a few chain restaurants (McDonalds and Taco Bell). Shopping is non existent. The nearest Wal-Mart is 30 minutes away. It appears that the closing of the Air Force Base crippled this town. Poverty abounds.

1  Thank Timberton