“Fun times on the AuSable River”

Au Sable River Queen
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Beautiful AuSable River cruise with great folks running it! Snack, drinks,entertainment ...invite friends or make new ones on this 2 hour tour. I even got our new puppy from these fine people!

4  Thank hartsgirl

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The River Queen is a must do when in the Oscoda area. It is nice to have a pleasant relaxing 2 hour ride on the AuSable river. Any time is good but it is especially nice during the fall color season in Sep-Oct.

5  Thank MarLea2013
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was very pleased with the cruise as I wanted to cruise along the river looking at the fall colors. The staff was very helpful and I had no problem finding the location with my GPS (Verizon navigator). I was traveling with my dog and asked if I could take her on the cruise and surprisingly they agreed as long has she behaved. The captain does tell many semi funny jokes but it goes with the territory. The ride is 2 hours and it goes really slow up the river but I did learn a lot of interesting things on the boat ride. They serve snacks and drinks on the cruise. The boat ride goes very slow but this provides an opportunity to really enjoy the beautiful scenery.

4  Thank klomb4
Reviewed 26 October 2013

It's difficult to think of anything positive about our experience so here it is.

The GPS doesn't know how to find the location but the man on the phone was friendly & helpful and we found it easily after speaking with him. The people in the gift shop were nice.

While waiting for boarding we noticed that there was live entertainment with amplified instruments so we decided to sit near the stern where we could still hear them but not so loudly. That was a mistake as we soon learned, the engine noise is deafening back there.

Even though the Captain was willing to wait for each & every last straggler, the boat left the dock only a few minutes after the scheduled time. And in less than a minute we were back where we started with a broken starboard steering cable. I overheard people commenting about if the River Queen's people know anything about maintenance and I had thought that myself. You see, stranded wire rope doesn't just go from OK to broken in one step. I had a pretty good view of the repairs and when they had the old cable out it was clearly badly worn & thin. At one point the Skipper found that the port cable was stuck in a pulley and he had difficulty freeing it. This would only happen with badly worn components. Again, maintenance is needed but for the time being he used electrical tape to thicken it.

We got underway an hour late and some people disembarked before then.

The live act was pretty good with an interesting selection of 60's & 70's songs in their repertoire. The other side of the coin was the fellow who gave commentary during the musical breaks. I think his selection of religious / political "jokes" was in bad taste considering that he did not know who his audience was.

I can't comment on the drink bar and snack bar because we were reluctant to eat or drink anything served by the same people who almost took us far from shore with a ready-to-fail cable.

The tour was nice and the commentator had some interesting things to share about the local area when he wasn't slamming the politicians he dislikes. I agree with a previous commenter in that the trip was more than long enough by the time we were done.

3  Thank Will_Shank
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Have been coming to Oscoda for years and the Riverboat has always been a part of it! It is an enjoyable trip with a fun and friendly crew!

1  Thank michigan922