“Looks can be deceiving”

Ranked #3 of 11 Pentwater B&B and Inns
Lansing, Michigan
“Looks can be deceiving”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The hotel looks lovely and it is clear that a great deal of effort has been put into it's appearance. Unfortunately not enough effort was put into insulation and noise dampening between rooms. The wall seemed paper thin and there was a tremendous amount of noise from all sides. To be honest, I've stayed in Motel 6's that were quieter.

I have many complaints in terms of service, but I don't think that the staff are necessarily the problem. I got the general impression that the hotel was grossly understaffed. We had to ask 3 times for the crib that I requested when I made my online reservation. The front desk was unoccupied almost everytime I went there for assistance. Our room hadn't been cleaned by 2pm. At the pool there were often very few clean towels and a huge pile of dirty ones. At breakfast, it was common for items to run out and be out for some time despite the fact that it was obviously very busy.

Additionally, I felt that having 1 waffle iron when there are over 30 guests eating at the same time is a bit ridiculous. I have small children that aren't very patient and I felt like I had to go down to breakfast a half an hour before them just so that I could get their waffles in a reasonable amount of time.

Hands down the weakest coffee I have ever had at a hotel. If your guests can't get any sleep from all the noise and have to wait a half an hour or hour in order to get all the items that are supposed to be on the breakfast, then the very least you could do is give them some good, strong coffee to face another day and night of the same treatment.

The overall impression of all of these things is one of cutting corners, and I was tremendously disappointed. We have until now almost exclusively stayed at choice hotels, and while there is a fair amount of variance between the different names (comfort inn, quality inn, etc), and also considerable variance within different locations of a given name, this is typically correlated with age and overall appearance of that particular location. This particular hotel was disappointing both in terms of the quality relative to it's appearance, and in terms of it's value. I have never been so happy to return home from a 3 day getaway as I was on this stay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ql108

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This hotel was so clean, it almost looked new but according to the staff it is about 8 years old. My family and I stayed here for one night August 11-12 in a double room. Everything about this hotel was really nice. The complimentary breakfast was also great. They had waffles, eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereals, juices, yogurt, etc. This was really nice to have in the morning. We definitely enjoyed our stay and if in the area again, would use this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Krystle0819
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel needs a lot of "work." The staff wasn't very pleasant, didn't make us feel welcome, give us information about breakfast, etc. When the family members we were traveling with asked if they could move to another room (due to outside noise) they were told the hotel was full. However, when we went to get something out of our car after midnight, the parking lot wasn't even half full. We were pretty sure she just didn't want to make the effort to move them. Breakfast was good, food-wise, but the room lacked any kind of atmosphere. The tables were like the tables used at a reception and the food serving area was set up poorly. All in all, I would highly recommend looking elsewhere-not a good value at all for the money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stoeck

Travellers are raving about these Pentwater hotels

Howell, Michigan
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We have been going to this hotel for several years and it continually progresses down the ladder. The local residents use the pool for an exercise class, leaving paying guests waiting for over an hour to use it in the morning, then the pool not cleaned afterwards. The gym equipment in rusted and not useable. The grounds are covered with goose droppings so you can't even walk on the grass around the pond or chip golf balls. About 20 geese inhabit the grounds. All this during prime Michigan vacation time. Real bad experience. PASS THIS HOTEL BY. Good money wasted. Clerk Sara was sympathetic.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Noalen K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

The good news was, there were no ants in our room. That's probably because of the GIANT ANT TRAP that greeted us upon entering our room.

Pros: the staff here is incredibly friendly. Can't say enough about how pleasant they were during our stay.

Cons: this is an older hotel with very basic ammenities. The walls are paper thin so don't expect to get much rest. Lots of college age kids staying here for the beach. Also lots of annebriated college kids roaming the halls at night.

As long as you don't have high expectations and don't mind basic amenities, this hotel is probably fine for a night or two. Don't expect any services or things to do at the hotel because there aren't any.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank bkohler
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My wife and I recently traveled to Pentwater for a relatives wedding. Our room and the hotels public areas were very clean. We enjoyed the free wifi, and worked great and was plenty fast. The TV in our room was an older tube TV but the picture was great and it worked without a hitch. The bathroom was a good size, the shower had good water pressure. The extra vanity sink just outside the bathroom was an unexpected nice touch. Beds were comfortable and the AC worked well in our room. The only complaint i have with this property is that the pool and hot tub were overran with unsupervised children every day we were there. I had planned to enjoy the hot tub and exercise facility while we stayed here but it never happened due to the 15+ loud unruly kids running amok every time I tried to enter. Overall a nice stay and i would stay here again on a return trip to beautiful Pentwater.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed here on a recent Sunday evening, and it is clean, comfortable, and the location is nice. Just off the highway, but far enough off to be quiet. The check in was quick, though not terribly friendly, however, that seems to be a Michigan trait at the hotels we have stayed in in this state. As a Gold level member of the Choice loyalty club we got a HUGE upgrade to the room. That was very nice. In fact, we had a whirlpool suite that was possibly the largest hotel room we have ever had.
My one complaint is that the internet says full hot breakfast, and if you are lucky, you may get something to eat. We got down to breakfast about 8am. There was no coffee to be had. Some of the other travelers had eggs and sausage on their plates, but there were none left. I thought I'd have cereal, but there was no milk left in the carafes. The gravy for biscuits was empty as well, but no biscuits either. There was no attendant, so no attempt being made to ensure food was available. I did find a small cup of yogurt. Breakfast is a nice feature when provided by a hotel, but I would rather they just say "breakfast on your own", so we'd know to plan to eat elaswhere. There were not many guests, so it seemed they could have kept up.
Should we be in the area again, we would stay here, but skip breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Seniorcoupleluvtogo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pentwater
Comfort Inn
Nader's Lakeshore Motor Lodge
Best Western Lakewinds
Best Western Lakewinds
#2 of 17 in Ludington

Been to Days Inn Suites? Share your experiences!