“Candlewyck House”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pentwater
The Candlewyck House
Ranked #2 of 10 Pentwater B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I absolutely LOVE the Candlewyck House Bed and Breakfast! This is my first ever bed and breakfast stay and I loved everything about it. The rooms are kept spotless and each room is uniquely decorated. John and Mary Jo are wonderful owners that made me feel like I was staying with my grandparents. It is great that you can ride one of their complimentary bikes down to the beach which is only 5 blocks away!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 July 2012

This is a well-kept, cozy B&B. Interesting quaint or antique touches to notice in all the little nooks. I was first taken by the lush garden surrounding the house. There was a guest reading on the porch swing as we walked up, and the first thing you notice upon entering is a wall of built-in bookcases filled to the brim with books and movies. There are handmade baskets hanging from the rafters. Each room has a distinct theme, and are all comfortable and welcoming. Breakfast was served at a big table, all made from scratch, hot and delicious. I follow a vegan diet, and was well accomodated with alternatives. We could choose from a big selection of beautiful tea pots and enjoy brewing our own flavor. The owners were always present and friendly. There is a nice patio with lots of seating. Withing a nice walking distance of downtown restaurants, shopping and harbor. Overall, I felt like I was staying at a relative's house. It was comfortable, welcoming and easy going.

Room Tip: There are ground floor and upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at Candlewyck House during the summer of 2012. The home itself is charming and the gardens are lovely. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was OK, but nothing special. The availability of bicycles to use was very nice. Several things, however, weren't right about this visit. The patio is advertised as a lovely place to sit, and I'm sure it would have been, but when the owner is having a basket-weaving gathering there, it is not available for guests. We can also echo an earlier complaint about hearing the owners bicker with each other through the thin doors. Finally, there was a security issue that I won't describe in detail for the protection of other guests, but we did not feel 100% comfortable leaving any valuables in our room when we were not there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MichFoodnWineLover
Mary Jo N, Owner at The Candlewyck House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

My husband & I are the owners of The Candlewyck House and have been for 25 yrs. We have happily served over 18,000 guests and have always tried to meet their needs. As platinum members of Michigan Lake to Lake Bed & Breakfast association we strive to meet their highest standards. we are sorry that a guest felt insecure in our Inn and have had no previous issues in 25 yr.The day these guests arrived our gardens were featured in Pentwaters annual garden/artist walk. The garden walk was only from 1pm until 5pm.(only 1 hour past check in time.) At 5pm both artists vacated the patio and all guests were free to enjoy the gardens. In the future we would prefer guests speak to us immediately if they have any concerns so that we may deal with them. Mary Jo Neidow

Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I spent this past weekend at The Candlewyck House and had a wonderful stay! It was our first time visiting Pentwater (we were in town for a destination wedding) and I was so happy with our choice of accommodations. It was a PERFECT location, only four or five blocks to the quaint downtown area, and a quick bike ride away from the public beach. They had numerous bikes available for all the guests to use (including a tandem bike which is a definite must try!). They have a large brick patio just off the beautifully landscaped garden that was perfect for relaxing in the evenings. Mary Joe and John are great hosts, very welcoming from the moment we walked in the door. They are both very laid back and personable and we immediately felt comfortable in their home. The homemade breakfast was delicious and we had a very enjoyable time talking to the other guests during the meal. This was a great place to stay, we highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This little Bed and Breakfast gave me the feel of staying at grandma and Grandpa's house when I was a little girl. When we first walked up to the house we were greeted with beautiful, fragrant flowers that lined the pathway. As we walked into the house we first noticed the wall of book's, literally from ceiling to floor. The next room was full of home made baskets which we found out later were homemade by the Mary Jo and they were beautifully hung from the ceiling for display. The next room had shelves full of antique tea-pots and was appropriately named "The Tea Room". This is where we were served a full breakfast at 9am - and I mean a full, homemade breakfast! It was delicious. The conversation was great in the morning too as Mary Jo and John joined us for coffee. Together they worked very hard to make our stay not just great but an excellent experience.
Our room was so cozy, with an easy to light fireplace, sofa, coffee pot, mini refrigerator, and two beds. I really loved the fact that the bathroom was just a step away across the hall so I could get up early and not disturb my husband in the least bit. The entire upstairs was ours and it felt very warm, cozy, and private. The outside of the Inn was adorable. From the old fashioned bikes that were free for us to take to town to the little garden and sitting area. We give it an A+ and will recommend the Candlewyck Inn to our friends and family!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank stacykody
Reviewed 16 August 2011

John and Mary Jo couldn't have been nicer. The breakfast was amazing, and we had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The atmosphere brings you down to earth. Simple times and simple living. A time when people meant more than mp3s, iPhones and Facebook status. Breakfast conversation and home cooked meals brings me back every year. I like to walk the town and experience the rich history or just chill in a Zen moment in the Secret Garden. I recommend that anyone who needs to refocus their priorities should spend some time at the Candlewyck B&B.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank jelder

Been to The Candlewyck House? Share your experiences!