“Great bed and breakfast”

Stafford's Bay View Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Petoskey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Loved this bed and breakfast, the best staff, great room with a view, incredible clean and spacious,and the best cookies ever provided to us each day.
Love this place so much I booked for next year already.
We have stayed here several times, it is always a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Stafford's Bay View Inn

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Mr. Stafford himself was carving ham and roast beef at the unbelievable breakfast buffet Sunday morning over the 4th of July holiday weekend at one of his 5 hotel/restaurant locations, The Stafford's Bay View Inn is an 18th century, beautifully maintained and in some cases updated building! It sits on the coast line of Lake Michigan in Petoskey Bay. The service is impeccable, warm, and very deliberate. Please check out their web site for pictures. The beds are amazingly soft, lux, and the view of the bay when your stationed in a room at the back side of the Inn are grand to say the least. You are greeted with two large home baked cookies in your room and antique furnishings and amenities through out. Stay, enjoy, and leave a big fan like we did! *We loved it so much on our first visit last Labor Day weekend we came back for the 4th and eloped!

Room Tip: Request facing the Bay!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is an awesome place to stay. We are here on our anniversary, obviously not really "leaving town", and it is so relaxing. No phones, TV's, or etc. in the room to bother us and our cell's are off just in case YOU wanted to call us today. A nice fireplace, balcony overlooking the Bay, and a Jacuzzi style tub...Howah!!!! I was told I didn't want to know how much it costs so I didn't push the issue, and now I assume we way overpaid for a room in a hundred plus year old house but this isn't our first anniversary in an old place. We stayed at the Landmark in Marquette one year; again we didn't "leave town" because we lived in Ishpeming at the time (The spell checker doesn't like the word Ishpeming too funny hey). Anyway I'll see about the food here in a minute or two because the restaurant is closed on Sunday evening, so we went out to Harbor Springs to eat last night, but that's another review...overall so far I'm giving it a 9.78936% on a scale of 10.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sawyz
Reviewed 4 June 2013

This past Memorial Day weekend was our 4th, maybe 5th stay at Stafford’s Bay View Inn. Once you’ve stayed here, you’ll make it a destination again and again. I can’t think of anything that wasn’t perfect. The staff, the service, the food (and drink! – ask for John the bartender for the best martinis), the rooms, and the VIEW! I know we have God to thank for the view, but sitting on the porch sipping an adult beverage of choice and enjoying God’s handiwork is a great combination. Everything about the Inn is so relaxing. The staff goes out of their way to please. And they all seem to work 24/7! This trip we enjoyed several breakfasts, a lunch, a dinner and the fabulous Sunday brunch. All superb. After 3 glorious and relaxing days, we were truly sorry to leave. Simply put – there is just no other place to stay in Petoskey. The only disappointment – no ghost stories. You would think that any self-respecting place that’s over 120 years old would have at least one ghost story. Boo (hoo)!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sitting area. Gives you more room to relax (and read, talk, etc.)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hudsonbob
Reviewed 22 May 2013

..of the past. This hotel is charming and wonderful old style. No phones or TV in the room therefore rocking chairs on the porch overlooking the lake.

The perfect get away from the world for a few days.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank CoHel2013
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

Because we had our kids with us, we stayed elsewhere, but my parents stayed here (we visited). My parents are repeats and I can see why!

There is a large covered porch that looks out to the bay. It was really cold over Mothers Day, but I can only imagine what sitting out there is like in the warmer months. Peaceful... Lake breezes... Ahh..

Walking in: this is first class straight up. The dining area to the left is beautiful with large windows. Again...Bay view! When you walk on the floors throughout, you can hear the hardwood floors creak underneath your feet. It truly enhances that "strepping back in time" feel.

The Sun Room (I think that's what it's called) is full of bright colors and white wicker. I could've spent hours in here kicking back with a book, a laptop, or talking with others. Right at the end of that room was what appeared to be a cash bar. The kids liked a small game that was set up right by there. Kept them entertained for a small while.

Upstairs, the hall was wider than a typical hotel hallway (I thought). I LOVED the Paul Revere lanterns throughout the Inn (even in hall) and the vintage photographs. My parents' room was DARLING. The quilt on the bed was a toile pattern with matching shams. No TV in room, but that's what is typical of a B&B. Tub/toilet in one room and not spacious, but with two in that room, it was just fine. Vanity is separate. Room was SPOTLESS! Rumor is there may some paranormal activity in a couple of rooms....ask about them! :)...they'll tell you what rooms! :)

Down the hall is like a social room/area complete with coffee/tea, TV, computer, and I saw at least one game my dad was getting out as I was leaving.

Now...the FOOD. It was a brunch and it was Mother's Day. I don't know how extravagant brunch is on any regular Sunday, but THIS, in this day, left me speechless.

I started with basics. You can't screw up a waffle, right? A waffle is a waffle, right? NOPE. At the Bayview, the waffles are like the GOD of all waffles. I can't explain it, but this little suckers packed a punch. They were flakey (not crusty, but melt in your mouth type) and must have some secret ingredient...these are NOT your bisquik types. Options here: powdered sugar, brown sugar, cherry butter (so not kidding), blueberry butter, peach butter, raspberry butter, cranberry butter, strawberry, whipped cream...it TRULY is a huge deal. My 6yo eats like a bird and he wolfed down THREE of those things!

Of course, you get your other things: bacon, sausage, vegetables, potatoes, pastas, cheese cubes, deserts, etc.... BUT... Let me tell you: go for that artichoke feta dip stuff. Oh, it sounds yuck, but it will knock your socks off. ALSO: if they have a punch out: partake. Seriously.

Carved meats included lamb, turkey, beef, and ham. Watching the owner (yep...he works, too!) carving it, he either had an incredibly sharp knife or this meat barely needed a knife!

I didn't get to try because I didn't know what it was until we were done, but there was a bowl (like a punch bowl) filled with what looked like white buttermilk/thick ranch dressing. It was COLD PEACH SOUP. Never heard of such a thing, but just another feather in the awe-striking experience.

Nothing on that buffet stayed empty for longer than a minute. Employees are very attentive to the brunch and to clear your table of finished plates. Not one time did I need to find a server to get a refill of pop...or for extra napkins, etc. Service was quick, prompt, and left the guest not in need of a thing.

This is NOT your local "fancy" restaurant's brunch. This is the BAYVIEW INN. It won't disappoint.

(Included if you stay over night or 25/person).

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank natgoss
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We were here with a group for a bridge tournament. This place is over 100 years old and they have done a great job of updating. There is a very nice view of the bay & a large porch to enjoy it. Each room is different. The breakfast was very good. They have a small bar off the living room, also a TV there. The only other one is in the cozy (fireplace) library. The only possible negative thing I could say is that the bedroom window didn't have a screen. That may be because it wasn't the summer season yet.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't face the bay, so ask.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petoskey
Stafford's Perry Hotel
Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn
#3 of 3 in Harbor Springs
Hampton Inn & Suites Petoskey

Been to Stafford's Bay View Inn? Share your experiences!