“Clean, comfortable room with a spectacular view”
Review of Bay Inn Petoskey

Bay Inn Petoskey
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Our room, on the second floor, looks out on Lake Michigan. The sunset was fabulous and nothing obstructed our view. When we arrived, I found we had reserved a room with just one king sized bed. When traveling, we prefer two beds, so I asked the owner if we could have a room with two beds. He quickly assured me that we could. I asked if it would be at additional cost and he told me that we could have it at the same price as the single bed room. Our room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the towels were fluffy and plentiful. When I asked for advice on dinner that night, the owner made a recommendation which turned out to be excellent.

Room Tip: Take a room upstairs for a sweeping view of lovely Lake Michigan. Rooms all open to the outside. T...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We spent a Friday night at the Bay Inn earlier this month as a stop-over between two other destinations. Having never been to Petoskey, I was horrified by the congestion in town, and while it looked cute to explore, I had no interest in doing so because of the traffic. What was great about the Bay Inn was that it had lovely views and easy access to a bay-side park (about 1/4 down the road), but we could steer clear of the "downtown" chaos. So for us, it was a great way to enjoy the beauty of the area without fighting the crowds. The owners are beyond delightful and eager to offer suggestions on restaurants or just chat. The rooms are lovely. A great spot, for sure, especially if you prefer pristine, well-run local establishments to run-of-the-mill chains.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Petoskey, Michigan is a madhouse in the month of July, and we were glad to find a place to stay on August 1, 2013 that was away from the bustle and congestion, but not too far away. The Bay Inn came highly recommended on Tripadvisor, so we decided to give it a try. We reserved about 5 days in advance using Expedia. We were coming up from our vacation place in Traverse City for one night before going up to the bridge. I especially wanted to do some sightseeing at historic Horton Bay.

I wish we had found this place sooner! We were so grateful for the peace and quiet, and from our balcony there is a nice view of the Little Traverse Bay, which is across the road from the Inn. Everything is spotlessly clean and spruced up inside and out. The grounds are very nice. Every room has a balcony and of course the best views are on the second floor. The weather was perfect which definitely helps.

We stayed in room 201, and I will attempt to attach a few photos to this memo. This motel is owned and operated by an American couple (I only met the dude, he checked me in). They live in a house just behind the Bay Inn. He was happy to chat with me about local attractions.

There is no place to get a meal or even a good cup of coffee nearby, so you need to plan around that. There is a refrigerator and a microwave in the room. The main commercial district of Petoskey is about a mile away on U.S. route 131.

Without a doubt I would recommend the Bay Inn if you don't mind being slightly away from it all. We love it here!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fritomann
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had planned to camp, but the 90 degree weather had us begging for air conditioning. This hotel was a really nice reprieve from the weather. It appears to be a rennovated hotel - everything has a nice fresh coat of white paint, giving the place a cottage-y feel. The view of the lake is terrific, and the hotel is across the street from the bike path. There is a cute deli that is supposed to have terrific food a few doors down. We didn't have time to try that out. The beds were comfortable, and the room was immaculately clean. There are beautiful flowers all over the property. The price was reasonable. This was just what we needed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stylebook
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The Bay inn is definitely a rare find. Still locally run by the nicest people you could every encounter, the Inn sits on a knoll overlooking the Bay. When you drive onto the grounds, you observe very well manicured and preserved garden and lawn and instantly feel warmed by the pure white structure and bright red shutters. A lovely two tier patio makes for the perfect spot to have a glass of wine and watch the sunset. The rooms are not fancy, but are wholesomely decorated and one of the cleanist I have ever seen. The tile in the bathroom is snow white!!!
Western Michigan has such a laid back take in the surroundings and natural "attitude" this inn definitely fits the mold.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

We like staying at family owned hotels rather than chains. Bay inn had good reviews and we were not disappointed. It is an older hotel but immaculately maintained. Very clean. Good location for our day trips to go sightsee. Easy to find on the main road into town. Great view of the water at sunset. Really happy we found it. Would return in a heartbeat. Excellent rates.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 19 June 2013

On short notice, we decided to join our daughter and family on a trip to Charlevoix/Petosky area. They were staying at an area state park but my husband and I are not campers and instead opted to find other accommadations more suitable. I admit I did peruse the pages of several large chain hotels but they were booked for the days I needed. It was by chance that I came across Bay Inn and after reading a few of the favorable reviews, called and made our reservation. We were pleasantly surprised when we pulled in that evening. The bright red doors add a wonderful homey touch! The grounds were well manicured and the flowers and outdoor patio area with the stone compass was beautiful....easy to picture sitting out there sipping a glass of wine or enjoying your morning coffee while gazing at the wonderous views of Little Traverse Bay. Shirley, the owner was friendly and efficient with suggestions of where we might like to visit during our stay. If you are looking for fancy, this is not for you but, if clean and comfortable is what you seek, you won't be disappointed. Our room was adequate in size with two beds, one queen, one double. The bathroom was a throwback to the 70's with gold fixtures and glittery formica but all were clean....important to me! We weren't able to get the thermostat to work and we were a little chilly the first night but when my husband called the office the next morning and spoke with Shirley, she immediately realized that the furnace had inadvertantly been shut off and not turned back on, she apologized and soon after we had heat coming out of the baseboards taking the northern Michigan chill out of the air. Breakfast is not provided but we were given coffee packets and snacks to take to our room for that purpose. Overall, it was a good experience staying there but more importantly, we felt great that we were supporting a local "Mom and Pop" operation instead of a large chain hotel and this little hotel was "made in America." Our only disappointment, the cloud banks didn't allow us to catch an amazing sunset over the water!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second floor where you have an unobstructed view of the water.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple