“A most excellent lunch!”
Review of American Spoon

American Spoon
Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Petoskey
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Mattoon, Illinois
“A most excellent lunch!”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

On Day #10 of our Lake Michigan Circle Tour brought us to Petoskey where our choice for lunch was again based on Internet research. It proved to be an excellent one.

It appears to not be very old with an interesting exterior and nicely designed interior. It might be properly called an “upscale” eatery; the word yuppie comes to mind. My wife ordered a chicken sandwich. It was open faced and made with rye bread tartine with radish, spring onion, fava beans, crispy skin buttermilk & tarragon. (The “copy & paste” feature sure is handy, isn’t it?). Her sandwich came with glazed green beans.

I had a sandwich called "Salumi", made with proscuitto, capicola, soppresata, provolone, chili jam and kale. The chili jam made it a bit messy but the toasted, crusty bread did not get soggy. In a word, my sandwich was awesome - very likely the best I have had in my entire life. My side was a somewhat unusual presentation of potato salad - a bit different but very tasty.

We each had a two-flavored gelato for dessert. My wife picked chocolate almond and something called zabagalione. I chose banana creme caramel and toasted marshmellow.

While a bit more expensive than a lot of places, the quality of the food, and its presentation was first rate (the food described above plus lemonade and ginger ale cost 42 bucks, including tax and gratuity). We would not hesitate to eat here again should we happen by this place in the future.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank joan&mike

Austin, Texas
“Pleasant find for lunch”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Out side seating was charming as it is next to a small shady park with lovely walnut trees. Iced coffee was delicious on a hot day. Burger was yummy (how can you miss with tasty bun, cheddar and bacon, apple and onion chutney). Every thing was fresh.Service was a little spotty....we never did get a glass of water we requested, which was strange as the waitress with a water pitcher asked us twice but we had no glasses!

Columbia, South Carolina
“Fantastic Lunch”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Visiting Petoskey, MI is always fun and bring us great memories. In July we stopped in the American Spoon Cafe. We have always known American Spoon for their great cherries and fruit but had not stopped in for their food. Our lunch consisted of two sandwiches-the white fish and the turkey. The Whitefish was fresh and flavorful and came with a great cucumber dill salad. Turkey sandwich actually tasted like turkey. The staff told us it was from a turkey roasted that morning ! It too was very good.
The restaurant had a very nice selection of wines, all reasonably priced. And the service was outstanding. The restaurant lives up to their motto "Home grown and Hand crafted." This is a must go when you are in Petoskey. You will not be disappointed

• Visited July 2013
Great White North
“Delightful, Terrific Service, But/And, Eclectic”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

What do you care about my blather? I'm kinda gettin' bored of myself. But I'm fixated on not getting ripped off by overpriced restaurants with average food, and love it when people direct me to really good places. This is a REALLY GOOD PLACE, not 5 star but a solid 4. A very limited but sufficient menu, everything very tasty, stiff prices, but hey!, it's the GWN (Great White North, aka, middle of no place, so so much has to be brought in vast distances, possible today, no problemo, but $$$$. Full but/and limited bar, no Dewars but 12 year old Balvenie, single malt, decent pour, NOT overpriced. They have one other more expensive singler, why bother?

Having earlier in the day gorged on other GWN delicacies (whitefish) we just had $$$$ entrees - tortellini, ok, nothin' to write home about but very good, and the beef of the day was Short Ribs, like no short ribs I've ever had, yes, they were fatty (they're short ribs!) but it was easy to trim away the fat if you don't like it (I don't) and what was left was ABSOLUTE HEAVEN, so tender and fragrant and yummily. Our frienz had a terrific salad, split, and a terrific Lake Trout. THE LOAF OF BREAD IS NOT TO BE BELIEVED IT IS SO GOOD, and the butter is farm fresh and augmented with just a taste of sea salt (not as good as in Paris, but very fine).

Here we were at American Spoon's wonderous gelato bar and skipped on dessert, but we get cones and cups often enough to justify this move. So about that service? Essex of Wessex is over 65 and has NEVER seen this happen before: our server approached the table with the bottle of Balvenie Scotch, unrequested; he said,there's so little left in the bottle, did we want it, gratis, with the restaurant's compliments? Huh? It IS 2013, right? Nobody's really very nice these days, are they? But our server and ASFC, they ARE! So here's what we did - we told him to enjoy the spirits and let us take the cool bottle home, which (1) IS what happened, and (2) the bottle is now on our bar, filled with Dewars. Who's gonna tell? Better yet, who's gonna know, or even better, care? We gave the server an extra $5 for his spirit, his service was always way way better than average.

Can't guarantee any deals for you, but you will have a wonderful, fun, informal, elegant, delicious meal, and if you've been good to your waistline all day, you'll love the gelato!!!

1 Thank essexofwessex
“Best restaurant in northern Michigan”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

This is by far my favorite restaurant in northern Michigan. The smoked whitefish appetizer is to die for - I actually had it as my entree. The chicpee fritters are a must. Great cocktails and the best gelato on this side of the Atlantic. Add the picturesque setting overlooking a park and you've got a perfect evening!

1 Thank StephanieRGL