“Decent food, very good service”

El Ranchero Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #87 of 108 Restaurants in Petoskey
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I had dinner at El Ranchero on a Monday night. It was not crowded at all so our server had only our table. He was attentive, as might be expected, and friendly. The decor of the restaurant is bright and colorful and it appeared to be very clean. I had the Pollo Monterey (chicken with vegetables, rice, and beans). It was satisfactory but certainly not the best of this type of dish that I have tasted. The chicken was dry and rather tough although the veggies were fresh and flavorful. My wife had the beef taco salad which she enjoyed. We will give the restaurant a second try to see if another choice of entree is better.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Horrible guacamole, very bland, tasteless green paste. Food not good. Service OK, large menu. Salsa not good. You would think that a Mexican Restaurant would serve good salsa, but not this one. This place has never heard of fresh mex. Pass this one by.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The decor is nothing special but the food is "excellent" and the wait staff is prompt and friendly. The price for dinner won't leave your wallet empty either.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Clean and nicely decorated. Service was fast and efficient. The food was served hot. For those who like highly spiced Mexican food you will be disappointed. I prefer a milder flavor and this restaurant serves it just right for my taste. Nice selection of beers.

1  Thank BC W
Reviewed 12 April 2014

To start of with there was miscommunicaton between servers because two of them asked for our drink order. We think the server we ended up with didn't understand English very well because she made several mistakes. My wife got diet Coke instead of regluar Coke. My refill of Sprite tasted like club soda and not Sprite. The nachos were not very tasty and some were actually greasy and soggy. The salsa was bland and watered down. We waited quite a while but finally got our main dishes which were pretty good. At checkout, our server couldn't give us the $2.00 off on my wife's dinner special she ordered. We told her server about the poor tasting Sprite and she didn't apologize or offer to take a little off our bill. Next time we want Mexican food, we will go to Joses or LaSenoita.