“Good hotel”
Review of The Apple Tree Inn

The Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We enjoyed out two nights here on a skiing trip to Boyne Highlands. The hotel was clean and quiet with a pool and hot tub. The pool was a little cool but the hot tub was hot. WiFi worked okay but difficult getting on a couple of times. The continental breakfast was adequate with waffles, cereals, bagels, muffins, etc. No eggs and nothing hot except waffles.

Room Tip: rooms on 2nd floor don't need stairs or elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked this hotel through Expedia a few weeks before our Friday to Sunday stay. We had 2 adults and 3 kids in our family. I included this in Expedia and was confirmed for a rate of $129 / night. We arrived around 11pm on Friday tired and ready to go to bed. As I went into the lobby for check-in, I was greeted by a girl in her 20s kindly. She asked how many in the room and I told her. She said that was a problem as it hadn't come through from Expedia, which apparently happens all the time, and they didn't have any rooms for 5. I told her my youngest could sleep on a cot that I brought as this has happened before at other hotels for us. She discussed the issue with I assume the lady owner and then I was told that they were going to charge me $20 more per night for a child that had to sleep on our cot that we brought because she would be eating their breakfast and using their other facilities. I mentioned that this was rediculious given they didn't even have a bed for the child, but obviously, I had nothing I could do at 11pm! So I checked in. The next day's breakfast, that I paid an extra $20 for an 8 year old consisted of store bought muffins and danishes, instant oatmeal packs, dry cereal packages with milk, and the 'make your own' waffle maker. Not a bit of protein in the place! There was a nice Keurig machine, so that was a nice add, but overall, I was really disappointed, especially when I then saw the husband owner walk by the waffle area and reach his dirty hands into the bowl of chocolate chips that were to put on your waffle! Gross!

Then, my husband went to the work out room with my 12 year old son and was told to leave by the owner as no kids were allowed in the work out room. This was never mentioned at check in and was very unfair as the two of them workout using weights at home every other day. It's not like they were doing anything to hurt anything.

Overall, the rooms were clean, but the beds were so uncomfortable that it was a terrible night's sleep.

The owners are so unfriendly that I wouldn't stay there again, and I'm normally all about helping the locals.

Go to the Perry!!! So nice and kind there!!

Room Tip: A good room is at the Perry hotel room downtown!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JenMiTy
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This was our 2nd annual ski weekend getaway to Northern Michigan. Each year we've stayed at the Apple Tree Inn and have loved it. We have every intention of continuing this tradition and staying here. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and from the upper floors - have great views. The hospitality is warm and friendly. Breakfasts are nice. Feels like we're staying in the spare room of a friends house rather than a hotel.

Room Tip: We've always stayed on the 4th floor and have had a pretty view of the bay.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet J
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were visiting for a ski weekend at Boyne, and this hotel was booked by my Dad. I didn't know what to expect, but the reviews looked good.

We were extremely impressed! The service was wonderful, the owners were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The hotel, though a little dated, was very clean and well kept. The breakfast was a nice touch.

This is not a Ritz-Carlton, so don't expect a 5-star hotel, but my impression of the hotel was very positive. It was affordable, clean, friendly, well kept, and large rooms. I will certainly stay again, and would refer a friend.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Based on the ratings this hotel has received I think my expectations were a little high. Although we did not have any real problems I didn't find anything outstanding about it either. We stayed in the middle of winter so I can't speak for the views. The hotel was clean but a little dated in a charming way. The pool and hot tub were fine and they did provide some pool toys which was a nice touch. They also had a large selection of videos available to watch in the room at no cost.
On the negative side the rooms were not real soundproof (although the hotel was quiet overall, just had some noises late one night from some people coming in late). The breakfast was dissappointing. There was a large selection of pastries and a few fresh fruit options (apples, bananas and oranges) as well as cereal and drinks. However there were no hot options, yogurt, or protein. Additionally there are only 4 small table available for breakfast so we had to eat ours in the lobby using some arm chairs and a coffee table.
Overall it was a good value for the price and no problems with the staff but I would probably try a different option next time.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The Apple Tree Inn is in a great location in the wonderful city of Petoskey. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are a good size though somewhat dated. Beds and bedding very comfy. The room is heated and cooled by an individual unit which can be noisy. Last night there, could here the next room snoring. Breakfast was a plentiful selection of carbohydrates. We ate elsewhere that last morning. All in all, for the price, this hotel is a good choice, especially if you want to avoid the chains.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Very clean, good ammenties, good breakfast, Good view. Staff was often rude, Not kid friendly at all, Very Cold pool and cold hot tub, Unable to use. Will chose another hotel when we stay in this area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family