“Worst hotel experience”

Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
“Worst hotel experience”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Was there for a wedding,front desk was less than friendly. It was raining steadily, and was told to go around back, my ride dropped me off and i entered through glass doors to elevator, my room was on the 3rd floor, knew I was in the wrong place since there was no 3rd floor button in the elevator. Had to walk through the rain back to the front desk, was then told that the hotel was just down the street, I inquired about help getting there, since it was raining harder and I had two pieces of luggage. He told me that overhead awnings would protect me from the rain, had difficulty navigating the sidewalks between my luggage and the rain and also the steps every few feet. Had to ask store owners where the hotel was, a very nice real estate lady was kind enough to show me exactly where this hotel was. When I got to my room, the key given to me did not work, I called the front desk and asked that someone please bring me a new key, took several minutes, but someone finally showed up.
The room was much less than I expected, very dated, and the bed looked like it was made by a 4 year old, shower moldy, and spider webs also in the shower, there were also fruit flies. The room was extremely small, no room for your luggage, the small dresser had broken drawers, that either would not open, or if they were open would not close completely. What I thought was really weird was there was no window in the room and we had to go outside to see what color clothes we had ( if it was black or blue)
I thought it was odd that when I checked in I was not given any information regarding any amenities (pool, fitness center, places to eat).
Finally there were gift bags that were to be given to all out of town guests, I never received one, although I saw these bags on the hotel desk when I checked in.
This hotel needs help, I would not recommend this to anyone, it's a shame, because the location is great.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Peileen
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
We are sorry that you were frustrated with your accommodations and confused on how to navigate our resort and village. Due to our condominium style resort, our guest rooms are not connected to our office building, however, they do come in various styles and sizes. While we try our best to eliminate confusion and help all guests reach their destinations, unfortunately, we fell short during your stay.

We appreciate your feedback for it provides an opportunity of improvement and reflection on how to enact changes which will positively affect our guests. We continuously strive to improve our training efforts to provide excellent customer service as well as our amenities within our guest rooms. Our goal is to provide each guest a great stay and would appreciate a second chance to show you what Bay Harbor has to offer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
grosse pointe mi
Reviewed 2 September 2012

There is a difference between hospitality and hostility and the woman at the front desk does not know the difference. She obviously has not been trained in customer service. I will be writing a lengthy letter to management about my stay and all the things that are wrong. I just want to warn people that the level of mold in my shower was not only dangerous to my health, but the health of the cleaning crews. I bought a bottle of Tylex, turned on the fan and shut the door for 24 hours before I would use it. If it was that bad in my shower, I can't imagine what the rest of the showers are like.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank carmac007
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay. Unfortunately, we did not have the opportunity while you were here to correct these issues. However, since your stay we have made necessary staffing changes at our front desk to better anticipate our guests needs, provide a more welcoming atmosphere, and show our continued desire to enhance our guest’s stays. We feel that these changes are positive and will lend themselves to improving guest relations. We take the comfort and safety of both our internal and external guests very seriously and can assure you there is no health risk or any other form of harm that they may encounter. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at Bay Harbor Village Hotel or 231-439-2400.

Travellers are raving about these Petoskey hotels

Reviewed 24 August 2012

First and foremost I don't typically  write reviews nor do I usually complain.  And I am not writing this to try and convince you not to stay here, I am hoping that MAnagement will work on some of these issues.

We stayed at Bay Harbor Village Hotel for a wedding. We live in nearby Traverse City.  I love the property and the Main Street is great.  My husband came up earlier than my toddler son and I.   He was out doing wedding stuff so a key was left at the front desk for us.  The front desk/check inn is in a different building than the actual hotel.  The woman behind the desk wasn't necessarily rude but wasn't welcoming either.   I can get over that even though its basically her job to be friendly.   She handed me my key and that was it.  I said okay where do I go next and she said oh its down the road a little and I said well I have a lot of bags and stuff to carry (plus a toddler).  Her reply was well you could move your car closer.  (Not, let me get you someone to help with that).

I finally found the door with the elevator carrying bags and a toddler and then realizing I had to set everything down to use my key to just get into the elevator room.  Needless to say I had to make quite a few trips.  Even Holiday Inns have someone to help with bags and this is BAY HARBOR.   Get it together!

The room is nice but shower was not very clean, the door going out is covered in grimy handprints and dirt and our curtain has a huge brown stain on it.  Charging over $225 a night for a room that has a pull down bed so I would think they could afford a new curtain.

Lastly, the rehearsal dinner was held at the Bay Harbor Yacht Club down the road.  I called to ask if there was a shuttle.  The front desk said "well we have a shuttle but I don't think anything has been set up, let me check into it and call you back".   No call back.  Then I realized that my husband who is in the wedding left for rehearsal and took my car keys with him.  So I called and explained the situation to the Yacht Club and they said "no we cannot use our shuttle to come pick you up but we can try and find your husband and have him call you".  Hmmmm?  Really? I had no keys and he was in the middle of a wedding rehearsal and they couldn't help a guest out?

Sorry but this place is supposed to be a swanky, hoity toity place and the prices reflect that but their customer service sucks.

Customer service is way better at chain hotels than this place!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank srearick23
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
Thank you for your most recent stay with us at Bay Harbor Village Hotel. We were pleased to be able to host you and your family. We pride ourselves on providing a unique resort stay so when we received your feedback, we were disheartened to hear your disappointment. Please accept our apologies for your stay not living up to expectations.

We appreciate all feedback and are able to use this feedback to enhance our proficiencies and improve our deficiencies. We are and will continue to work closely with our owners to update all units to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations.

We have had some challenges this season; however, we are implementing new training procedures and situational training to enhance our guest relations. We will continue to emphasize with all team members excellent customer service. We are also working through the challenges with regards to transportation between venues.

We would welcome a second opportunity to host you and give you the experience which is Bay Harbor.
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We were there in Petosky the weekend of July 28th 2012 for our daughters wedding. The area was beautiful with the lake in the background. The Hotel was "Very Expensive" to stay in and you really don't get anything else such as vouchers for foood or drink.The elevator they had, meaning 1 elevator, was slower than molasses.But on the plus side you are in the middle of everything that happens on the main drag. The sunset was amazing and reminded me of being on a tropical island but then I had to remind myself that this is Beautiful Pure Michigan. Quite a few of the people who came to wedding stayed at the hotel and were very happy with the hotel and loved the atmophere. If you ever head up north in Michigan make sure you make the time to stop off for at least one night in Petosky at the Bay Harbor Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding the Bay Harbor Village Hotel and your time with us. We do have a wonderful location in Northern Michigan and are surrounded by beautiful scenery.

We did experience some technical difficulties during your stay which were corrected as quickly as possible to limit any inconvenience. Our unique condominium resort style hotel provides our guests with dining alternatives such as having kitchens within the unit or restaurants within a minutes walk. The dining and shopping opportunities within the village allow for a non typical hotel stay and enhance the entire experience.

Glad to hear the wedding experiences were in line with the wedding destination we are. We hope to see you again soon.
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I tried to rent one of the cottages from the hotel, called and left a message 3 times with no call back. Finally I decided to just go ahead and reserve one of the 2 bedroom suites. Went online, showed availablilty, reserved it, and got an email confirmation. This would normally mean everything is good, right? Not here. 5 days later, I get an email saying they have no availability for that room type and I can call and reserve the bigger suite for around $200 more a night, thats a 150% increase. Most reputable hotels, when faced with their error, would upgrade you for free. I called and spoke to them to let them and got a very pleasant woman (Bree, I think??) who tried to be helpful and sympathetic, and informed me her manager would call me as soon as she got it, who ironically is the same person I left numerous messages for above for the cottages. Well that was well over a day ago, and I called back and was told she was in fact in. So obviously they do not care if anyone stays at their hotel. The manager is unreachable and doesn't care.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank stang7606
Let me start by saying we are sorry you experienced many obstacles to reserving your vacation stay. I am not sure why the breakdown of communication happened; however, we are working on ways to improve communication between guests and reservations staff. We are trying to streamline our home rentals to be as smooth as our hotel room rentals. We value your criticism on how we may improve and want you to know we appreciate each and every guest who comes to experience Bay Harbor and all we have to offer. If you would permit us to host you again, I am confident we would exceed your expectations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Up for a wedding and stayed 4 nights. For high season, we had a wonderful "Parlor Suite" that had a separate BR, LR, DR, and kitchen plus another half bathat $350 a night. Nice to have kitchen and buy wine and food at shop right across the street. I liked the property very much. Great housekeeoing staff. My only criticism is the room was a tad worn, but a great layout and staying right in the village was perfect -- you can walk to everything. The pool facility also very nice.

This is a great spot to get away for a few days and Northern Michigan beautiful.

Make sure you walk down to the other hotel and enjoy a drink at the beach bar!

Room Tip: Noise won't matter--not sure water view really does either. Get a suite.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at Bay Harbor. We pride ourselves on providing an all around, wonderful experience to all of our guests. We are working with our owners to make the necessary upgrades to each unit so they stand out above the rest. We look forward to your return!
Clarkston, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Our family of four recently stayed here for a wedding for two nights. I cannot express my disappointment enough.
1st: The room consisted of 2 queen beds ,which thank God were comfortable. That was really all there was room for. There is only a narrow walk way on each side of and between the beds oh and a nightstand between the beds.
2nd: Storage consists of one small closet and a 6 drawer lingerie chest for storage that also holds a tv, besides of course the walkways to set your suitcases...needless to say a lot of tripping and stubbed toes. Well there is a 3 x 3(roughly) entry area, but if you want to open and close the door easily you really can't put anything there
3rd: Bathroom, Shower stall only, which after a very enjoyable time at the wedding a soak in the bath would have been the best thing! NO counter space for toiletries, as the coffee pot is also stored on the bathroom counter, but they do provide a wicker basket (for dirty towels I assume) which I ended up using for storing our toiletries & personal grooming products.
4th: DO NOT PLAN ON ENJOYING THE BEACH. I realize this is not the hotel's doing, however it should not be advertised as an attraction to the place. It is so rocky you cannot enter the water. Would explain why the only activity we saw there was bonfires at night or people walking the path during the day. THE POOL WAS VERY NICE, large, clean and plenty of towels available as well as pool toys to use.
I do not think this was worth $150 per night for the size and comfort of the room.

Room Tip: Do your research
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Bay Harbor Village Hotel is a condominium style resort with rooms ranging from 400 sq ft to 3000 sq ft. Guests come to experience the village in the relaxing atmosphere that is Bay Harbor. There are many scenic and beautiful aspects of the village and surrounding areas. The value is in the total experience which includes the room, the beach, shops, dining, water sports, the marina, sunsets, parties, the pool, and the clean and safe village which is Bay Harbor.