“Would you like to sleep in a closet?”

Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Princeton, New Jersey
“Would you like to sleep in a closet?”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

If so, this may be the place for you. When booking our standard room we figured we would not have a lake view. But we did think the room would have a window. And a bathtub. And a chair. Um, no. It turns out that the "standard" room is actually an extra bedroom that is adjacent to the much larger lakeview suites--the kind of extra room you'd add if you had several children staying with you. But the hotel rents these out (at pretty hefty rates) as "standard rooms." So, after driving 3 1/2 hours to get here for a wedding anniversary, 8 months pregnant, and seeing that there were very few guests, we figured we'd ask the front desk staff if they could accommodate us in any other room. Their answer: "You should have read the booking agreement: it specifically said there would be no window." So at least the staff and the room were equally pleasant. In closing, if you are considering spending some special occasion here, let me highlight the fine print for you: THERE WILL BE NO WINDOW. Try the Super 8 up the road.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank A Y
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
We are delighted you chose to stay with us for a first time. I am sorry we could were not able to work directly with you at the time of your reservation. Unfortunately when booking with a third party agency, all of the details of our unique hotel may not be easily conveyed. Our agents take pride in giving as many details to find accommodations which best suit your needs. It is disappointing not only to you, but to our staff that your stay was less than satisfactory. Your feedback will help us build a stronger response to guest satisfaction. As part of our attempts to rectify your situation, we did compensate your entire stay. We would like the opportunity to have you stay with us again when you are in Northern Michigan and provide a stay which will give lasting memories.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Scary.. the best thing this place can do is fire the Human Resources director if they have one. Check out what I just went through.

I'm here for a wedding & am exhausted from traveling. I push the "room service" button on the room phone and it rings endlessly. I call back & get "Shelby" at the front desk & try to order some thing from the room service menu. She proceeds to give me the phone number and address of the restaurant 'cava'. I call this place on my mobile phone and get no answer. I call shelby back and she offers to walk over to cava & place my order (edamame, miso tuna roll & rainbow roll)...45 minutes later I check in with her and she has no idea what I'm talking about & I hear her asking if anyone called in a delivery????

I instantly realize what I'm dealing with and explain that I just broke my ankle and I'm not very mobile. She then suggests a breakfast place that opens sometime tomorrow. I then ask, "I would like someone to bring food to my room, how can I do that"?

She gives me another number to call (Galley Gourmet) and explains that it is within walking distance...(apparently she has already forgotten that I have broken my ankle). I was so confused I asked her if Bay Harbor Village Hotel was actually a hotel? I call Galley Gourmet on my mobile phone and ask if they can deliver to my room....I eventually get a knock on my door after 40 minutes from 2 boys who reek of pot & lamely explain that they have been knocking on the room next door for 20 minutes...(I actually believe this is true).

I recommend Bay Harbor Village drug test their employees. There is no other explanation for their incompetence.

The wifi works great and the rooms are clean. It looks like some of the rooms have nice views, though mine looks at another building. At $280 per night in Petoskey... I just don't get it and I can't wait to leave.

Room Tip: get a corner room if you stay here. I can hear everything my neighbor is saying and doing.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Vanessa E
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
We are not your typical cookie cutter hotel, but rather, a unique boutique condominium resort hotel. We offer a variety of guest accommodations from 400 to 2800 square feet and sleeping combinations to best fit your needs. We offer lake views, marina views, and village views depending on location of rooms.

Due to this set-up, we do not have any restaurants directly related to the hotel. However, we work with some fine establishments within Bay Harbor Village who are eagerly ready to serve. The Original Pancake House, Galley Gourmet, Knot Just a Bar and cava are available for dining and/or room service.

We have expressed your concerns regarding the restaurants and lack of service to the establishments as I am sure this was not their intent and they will strive to make improvements. We have discussed these concerns with our entire front office staff to ensure proper follow thru with requests and the various merchants. Thank you for providing us feedback that we can use to better our guest relations.

We want everyone’s stay to be relaxing and a place to return year after year. I am sorry you were not able to have the same fun experiences that the remainder of your party experienced due to your broken ankle. I am sure if you were more mobile, then the entire trip would have had a much brighter outlook. We would encourage you to return and create new memories of Bay Harbor.

Travellers are raving about these Petoskey hotels

Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Overall Bay Harbor Village Hotel was delightful. We rented 5 suites for a college reunion. Rooms were pleasant, very clean and well appointed. Our particular unit had a non-working garbage disposal and the shower drain in the master bathroom was very slow.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DianaLCarr
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for coming and staying with us in Bay Harbor. Our boutique condominium style resort has something for everyone. We take pride in our units and appreciate all feedback to continuously improve and make each stay memorable. We apologize for the inconviences you experienced during your stay and are working to minimize these mechanical failures. We hope to entice you back to our area and again experience the beauty and ambiance of the Village of Bay Harbor.
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed in Bay Harbor for our annual college sorority get togrther. Guests were from all over MI and North Carolina. Many had not been to this location in spite of being in Northern MI many times before. Everyone was surprised how roomy and confortable the condos were and delighted with the service and location. They also enjoyed the restaurants as well as the spa. All 20 guests had a very memorable weekend thanks to the coordinator, Rosemary Jackson and the attention at the front desk by Elizabeth. We found the accommodations to be excellent and a value. We would recommend the Bay Harbor Marina District to antone staying in the greater Petoskey area as the proximity lends itself to outdoor activities, shopping, delicious restaurants and of course the spa services.

• Stayed May 2013
We are thrilled you had such a great gathering of friends. We are proud of our unique, boutique, condominium style accommodations and enjoy helping guests to find just the right fit for their individual needs. As you have mentioned, we have numerous activities within and around Bay Harbor to fill your days and nights. So glad, you and your group were able to experience many facets of Bay Harbor and its beauty. We look forward to all return trips throughout our changing seasons in Northern Michigan. Thank you!
Detroit area
Reviewed 17 December 2012

First, I'm giving this room an "average" rating because the size and layout of the room was great and the views were spectacular. But unfortunately, that's where the positivity ends.

This was my first stay at the hotel - I usually stay at the Apple Tree Inn and LOVE it. But, this time I took my mother for a Thanksgiving getaway and thought I would treat her to a little something special. I was not aware that these "rooms" are privately owned condos, especially since the name of the hotel does not indicate anything of the sort.

I travel for business so perhaps my basic expectation of a clean and properly functioning room is too high. But, when we got to our room, other than some new towels and made beds it looked like housekeeping (or maintenance) had done nothing else. The bathroom floors, which are the 1" white, hotel style tiles, looked grimy and unmopped. The dining table had gouges and the end table by the sofa had a chunk out of it. In the master bedroom, which is painted a navy blue (supposed to be nautical but instead felt dungeony), there were HUGE pieces of drywall and paint missing where, everytime the bedroom chair was moved, it crashed into the wall. There was no way I was paying $240/night (with taxes) for a room like that. We could've stayed at the Hampton and had a cleaner room....

I notifed the front desk and management came right up and showed us another room and asked if it would be satisfactory. There were still chunks out of the wall in the master bedroom (also painted the same navy blue as the previous room) and the bathroom tiles were still dingy, but we accepted it (we should not have) because we really loved the view and atmosphere of the little "main street" and did not want to move.

In the shower the next morning, the water b-a-r-e-l-y made it out of the shower head, and what did sprayed everywhere but straight because it was so caked with lime buildup. I called the front desk but was advised that there was no maintenance (or housekeeping) on staff due to the holiday. While I totally appreciate that people should be able to spend the holidays with their families, if they have hotel guests, someone should be available to take care of items that come up.

The next day, the most ferocious wind storm I've ever experienced came up and did not let up until mid-next day. Clearly, the hotel cannot control weather, but they can control their response to a guest who calls about issues that happened due to the storm. All night I listened to a steel door, which was to a room that contained what looked like telephone/internet switches, that would not latch (I got up in the night and tried it) bang into the wall of my bedroom and a gutter (or what sounded like a gutter) that had come loose bang into the porch or window ledge in my room. Again, I called the front desk to tell them I could not get any sleep and they should call someone in from maintenance because this could result in potential property damage and again said they were sorry for the inconvenience (no offer of a different room) but maintenance was off due to the holiday. Keep in mind, the winter (off-season) rate for this room was $240/night, and other than square footage, I was getting NOTHING even close to basic service like I could expect at a lesser or business hotel.

In the end, they did refund me one night, but there was nothing else offered (like, perhaps, hey, come back and stay again at our expense and we will show you that we know how to do it right), which is disappointing, and not at all what I expect from Bay Harbor, which prides itself on being an "up-scale" neighborhood.

Next time, I'm staying at the Apple Tree Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Lisa B
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Thank you for coming to Bay Harbor and trying something new. We have amazing views, lake access, marina docks, dining and shopping. We are a condominium style resort with various styles of units allowing for multiple configurations of sleeping arrangements and greater flexibility with guest requests. We are continuously working with the staff to improve our guest satisfaction and responses to needs. Unfortunately, your overall experience did not meet your expectations and for this we do apologize. We have reviewed your comments and are currently working on making improvements not only to this particular unit but also giving a fresh appeal to many of our units. We invite you to return this summer as our guest and experience the updates which are taking place.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 November 2012

This isn't the first time we've stayed at the Bay Harbor Village Hotel. My husband and I usually take a trip up to the Northern Michigan area atleast once or twice a year. We stayed at the hotel back in December of 2011. This was the first time we actually stayed at the hotel. We thought our reservation was for the Inn at Bay Harbor. The person who we assumed was the manager asked us if we would like to see a few different room types to see if we would like to stay here instead. We were taken away by this because; he went out of his way to bring business to this hotel. I'm not sure what kind of room we had, but it over looked the downtown area as well as the marina. To be honest it was a little bigger than what my husband and I needed, but we enjoyed it anyways. apon check out he gave us his business cards and told us to please visit again, but we lost it in the trip back home. Now onto this trip. We enjoyed our stay so much last time that we decided that we would come back again and say thank you to the gentlemen that helped us make our trip one we would remember for years to come. They must has gotten new managmenet because; this time around our stay was less than great. The room was dirty and out dated. when we tried to get a hold of managment they were no where to be found. We tried on more than once to get in contact with managment. It's crazy to spend the amount of money you do at a resort like this and not be able speak to a member of the managment team. We will not be back. We will be staying next door at the Inn at Bay Harbor next time.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Littlek_28
Thank you for your return visit and follow-up comments. We acknowledge further development is necessary with respect to communication between members of our team and guests, other members, and management. Unfortunately, we fell short of expectations during your stay. We strive to provide a relaxing and comfortable stay to all while in Bay Harbor. We are working on updating our units to have a more consistent quality stay for all guests regardless of individual condominium unit decoration. We would like to invite you back as our guest this summer and reinforce your great memories.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We were impressed with the view, the level of comfort, and the immaculate room. We would definitely return to enjoy this "charming city" again! The "all you can eat" Perch at the Knot was some of the best Perch we have enjoyed. We dined up at the bar and the waitstaff were very attentive to our needs. This the first time we stayed outside of Charlevoix before flying over to Beaver Island and it was a short ride in to the airport. Thanks for starting out our adventure on such a wonderful note!

Marta and Eddie

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Please come anytime! Glad your adventure started off right!