“Great location awful hotel services”

Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Detroit, Michigan
“Great location awful hotel services”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our daughter was married on the village lawn which was beautiful and the wedding consultant was great BUT the hotel needs to take a Ritz Carlton course in customer service on many levels.
1. Cancelled reservations with no written notice, we returned call to confirm reservation which was never put in computer, never apologized even after they tried to make other hotel arrangements.2. Couldn't find other reservations. 3. Maid service only from 10 a m to 2pm ( to cheap to have full time service for rooms over 300 a night). 4. Inconsistent condo amenities (like no silverware) we were told each owner determines so no consistency from room to room. 5.two weeks later we are still trying to get accurate room billing on two rooms, credit cards that were not to be charged were, rooms charged to our charged but not under our name, could not match charges to the check out invoice 6.multiple requests for late checkout 2hr by bride/groom and parents before ok. Having our wedding bring 15. Other room rentals was not enough for them to provide good hotel service. The staff are not rude just no customer service training and no organization.

Room Tip: Ask about view, maid service, room amenities for kitchen if you expect to use the kitchen. Get your...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank manicholl
Tracy B, General Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
On behalf of the Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center we would like to kindly let you know that the review you left seems to be for the Inn at Bay Harbor, a Marriott Renaissance Hotel. We are not affiliated with the Inn at Bay Harbor. Although we are both located in the beautiful resort community of Bay Harbor, we are a boutique collection of hotel rooms and suites located above the merchant spaces in the Village at Bay Harbor. We would encourage you to come back to Bay Harbor and experience a stay with us at the Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My family rented 5 rooms during a recent family vacation. Each room was different and satisfactory for the individual needs. My husband and I had a room overlooking the pool and lake, very spacious with a fireplace and an outstanding view. The buffet breakfast was beyond our expectations and enjoyed by all especially two teenaged boys. The service throughout the hotel was impeccable. The only disappointment would be the fitness facility, not a typical facility found in other Marriott high end properties.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pumpvixen
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a great place to stay if you are looking for a home away from home. My fiance and I stayed there recently as we looked for locations for our upcoming wedding. We have already reserved the room for a week for our wedding.

The room we stayed in was a parlor suite and it overlooked Lake Michigan. It had all of the furnishings we needed to get through the weekend - even a washer/dryer. The suites are impeccably maintained and very cozy.

The stores located on the street below are great. We stopped into the gourmet galley (I think that what it is called) twice and found it to be on par with a whole foods in terms of price and some of the variety.

But, you can't beat the location. It is very close (maybe 5 minutes, but not walking distance) from downtown and is right on the water.

Room Tip: The parlor suites are very spacious, but if you are interested in more room you can add on the addit...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed here the first night of a two-day snowmobile trip, and it was extremely enjoyable. Had to drive around a bit to find the registration desk, but once discovered the staff was great. Found the building with my room in it and, loaded down with luggage and equipment, had to navigate a tricky card reader just to get in the door - understandable plastic shield with the strong freezing wind off the bay. Elevator is one of the slowest I have ever encountered, and had to walk along an open and cold balcony area to get to my room. But once inside, it was well worth the wait. Very warm and welcoming room, the beds were incredibly comfortable. Took quite a while for the hot water to get hot, and the valance over the door let a great deal of light flow into the room, right on the bed, in fact. Overall good experience, great staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I made a reservation at Bay Harbor Village from August 26th through September 1, 2013. We also rented a slip at the Bay Harbor Marina because we were also bringing our boat on this vacation. When we arrived to check into the room I asked the hotel representative if there was a refrigerator in the room, for which she informed me that the room did not have a refrigerator. Once we entered the room (a small room with no window) we immediately noticed that there was a refrigerator in the room. After we checked into the room I went back down to the office because I needed an additional parking pass. I mentioned to the hotel staff that there was indeed a refrigerator in the room and that we were pleased because we had beverages and would like to keep left overs from dinners during our stay, etc.

On the morning September 1st we collected our belongings and thoroughly inspected the room to ensure that we did not leave anything behind. I distinctly remember inspecting the room thoroughly because I placed the hangers, that we requested, on the bed for house keeping. There were no marks of any kind on the carpeting or anywhere else.

On Wednesday, September 4th we received a call from the hotel manager. She informed us that the carpet had fiber burns of some sort and they would have to replace the entire carpet for the room. We mentioned to her that we don’t smoke, and never used and iron and could not understand how the carpet could have got burned. She forwarded me two pictures of the area. Once I opened and enlarged one of the photos I noticed that the refrigerator had been moved because the indentation marks and the fact that the carpeting had loops or tears that were not there when we checked out.

I left messages to call me because I believe what happened is that when the maintenance or housekeeping department removed the refrigerator from the room the carpet fibers were damaged. I suspect that management was not even sure if we damaged the carpet but would make us pay for it. Needless to say, after she forwarded me the pictures she did not return my calls and charged my credit card $1,472.75.
I am still disputing this charge with my credit card company!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
34 Thank LizZ1111
Rosemary J, Manager at Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
On behalf of the Bay Harbor Village Hotel, we always appreciate feedback from our guests and we learn from each and every review that is posted. It is disappointing that your time with us didn't live up to your expectations and that you had an atypical visit during your stay.
We are very committed to perfecting our room details and room assessments on a daily basis. Due to the hotel damages that were caused during your stay, it was necessary to charge your credit card. The Bay Harbor Village Hotel damage disclaimer is highlighted on your registration card. Under the validity of your signature, you were aware of the monetary obligations if damage was done to your room.
Although the credit card dispute has been resolved in our favor, we do hope you give us the opportunity to show you that your stay was not a typical experience.

Travellers are raving about these Petoskey hotels

Linden, Michigan
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I recently attended a friend's wedding in Petoskey, Michigan. I stayed 2 nights. The room had 2 queen size beds which were quite comfortable. The room was quite large and clean. The bathroom was nice with plenty of towels and most amenities. The area was quiet and peaceful.

The hotel is situated next to a nice harbor with a fantastic view of the Fall leaves in reds, oranges, and yellows. There was several shops situated within and around the hotel. There were restaurants and a gelato parlor.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Milton H
Sault Ste Marie ,Ontario
Reviewed 9 October 2013

such a beautiful property. We were upgraded to a suite because it was our anniversary. Wonderful place to share a fall holiday-suite was very clean and staff was very courteous, highly recommend for a romantic couples getaway, also used the pool which was heated and extremely clean

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple