“Nice from the outside, rooms dated and sad.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Looks very nice from the outside, well kept paint, decor and landscape. Lobby fine. Front desk staff nice, but did not honor special request for valley view even though reservation was made 2 months in advance. Forced to book 2 nights when only needed 1, however when we checked in we found that hotel was not fully booked and they still made us keep both nights. Nice...

Placed in "upgraded" room. Hallways sad with strange stucco walls and yellow paint, weird lighting. Entering room you smell dirty kitchen odors because room is an "upgrade" and has a kitchenette. Sorry, do not put a kitchenette in a room unless you also install a proper stove hood and clean room perfectly, because it will smell, as our did. Smelt like old trash as well. Oh well. Open windows, and you get huge noise, 16 hours of the day due to location on main highway leading into town. Nice view of a Wallmart parking lot, just what we needed. Drunks return from casino at midnight and stand under our window smoking for about 15 minutes, nice touch hearing their loud conversations.

Mattress worn out and too soft. PIllows are foam blocks.

Bathroom strange, cheaply made, dated. Room large but uncomfortable.

Breakfast... nice staff, clean. About the same as most Holiday Inn Express, funky fake scrambled eggs, heat-and-eat sausage, death gravy, biscuits.

I will stress that staff was very pleasant, but would not address our concerns. View out the rear would have been nice if we had gotten one of those rooms. Not too much to choose from as far as regular hotels go in Petoskey, but we were disappointed and will never visit this place again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DouglasUsa

Reviewed 17 May 2010

We stayed in the Presidential Suite for one night with 3 kids. The room was spacious and the master bath was great. Steam shower and jetted tub was wonderful. Only down side was our room location. The hotel is located on a busy highway and the traffic noise was loud all night long. Net time I will request to stay on the back side of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a week in late April. The property itself is nicely situated on top of a hill above Petoskey. I found the front desk staff to be courteous and knowledgeable. My only concerns with this hotel are all maintenance related, both in the rooms and public areas. For a hotel that I'm told is only 3 years old, there were a number of things to note. In the room that I had, I found that the faucet in the tub would turn back past of to on again, you had to fiddle with it to turn the water off. Also in the bathroom the drywall tape was pulling away from the ceiling and had been doing so for some time. The room itself had a blackout curtain with holes in it and 2 lamps that would sometime flash, then go back off when you turn them on. I went to the pool area one night and found the bottom of the pool very dirty - the bottom was yellowish with little piles of debris everywhere. Also, in the evenings the wireless internet would sometimes connect, sometimes not - one night I noted that is took almost half an hour to get an IP address for my laptop - perhaps not enough connectivity?

In short, this is a fine looking properly but good maintenance is lacking.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Booked this hotel for a weekend ski trip to Nubs Nob. First of all it is a very good looking 5 story hotel (with balconies on every room). We were given a 3rd floor room on the back side of the hotel and all I can say is that the view is incredible. The room was very clean and roomy with a microwave, fridge, LCD TV and modern furnishings. We were also given a gift bag of snacks for being Priority Club members. After a long day of skiing we did enjoy the hot tub in the pool area. We also tried the sauna, but it wasn't hot enough to get a sweat going so we gave up on it after 10 minutes. The free breakfast has the standard HIX fare, good mix of hot and cold items. The one amenity that puts this hotel over the top is the COMPLIMENTARY stretched limousine that will take you anywhere in town you may want to go. Overall a great hotel for the money.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2010

My husband is a Holiday Inn Priority Card holder. We picked this hotel because of that.
Staff at front desk check-in can only be described as indifferent. Very cool welcome. We found that our suite was on the road side. When I called the front desk, staff attitude now escalated to arrogant. I was dealt with rudely. When I mentioned my husband was a Priority card holder I was told, "I don't care what he is."

I paid extra for the valley side of hotel. I liked our suite. Common areas not great. Staff not great. Breakfast - messy. So - probably not again. Too bad we treated coolly - because I enjoyed the view, the fireplace, the suite in general. First person you talk to in a hotel really sets the tone. Hotel management should be very aware of that.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tella66
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Rooms are very nice. Plenty of room and well maintained. All rooms have microwave and decent sized refrigerator. Had one lamp that didn't work and the extra blanket had some stains on it (was afraid to think to hard on what it might be from - thought about what a CSI black light might indicate). Stayed on the back side which has a nice valley view (of course you pay extra for this). The front side probably would not be too noisy.

My only real negative is the price. I know you get a decent breakfast included but seems high. Other than that, feel comfortable making a reservation here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank PickyTravelerOH
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Stayed here with my family of 5 for 2 nights over President's weekend. The hotel is on a busy road on the outskirts of town, but had great views from our room on the 5th floor. The king mini suite was great - a separate bedroom with a very comfortable king bed with nice bedding and a studio living room area with sofa bed, desk & chair, side chair and kitchenette with full size fridge. The electric fireplace was a nice touch and we loved having real dishes, dishwasher and fridge. We didn't cook at all, but enjoyed the breakfast and used the kitchen to pack lunches for our days at the ski hill. It is about a 10 min drive to either Boyne Highlands or Nubs Nob. We didn't use the pool because it was overrun with people the entire time we were there. I found out when we checked out that the hotel sells passes to the pool and exercise room, so don't plan on having it to yourself. The kids loved taking a ride in the complimentary limo to dinner. The only cons were the cost ($170 is the weekend rate for a suite), pillows were lumpy synthetic and our room only came with 2 bath towels. I had to go down to the front desk for towels each morning. Staff was friendly and the hotel is fresh and clean. I'll be back again for our next ski trip.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family