“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Detroit, Michigan
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have stayed here on several occasions, it was previously the Best Western. Lady at the front desk is very condescending and treats you as if you are stupid if you have any questions. No way to treat paying customers. The lobby has a sign posted that it opens at 6 am. Being early risers my wife and I went down at 6 am for coffee. The manager unlocked the doors at 6 am but said that breakfast wasn't until 7am and no coffee until 7am either. We had to get in the car and drive to McDonald's since we don't like to use the tiny room coffee pot. Room is adequate at best but the bed was saggy and uncomfortable, sheets are stained, towels are thin. Price is okay so I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Karen R, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
I do apologize for the coffee not being available at 6am. Our office opens at 6am and breakfast is prepped between 6 and 7. Our breakfast hours are 7am-10am and coffee was just being brewed. I apologize for any inconvienence this caused you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

If you need a place to sleep and get free breakfast for one or two nights, this place is fine.This was a mid week winter ski trip with a buddy. There were very few people at the place, so we cannot say if it gets loud in the rooms. I doubt I would stay for longer than two nights. Evening desk help was very helpful - better than at most expensive hotels I have stayed at. Location for ski slopes (and the casino) was good. We had a clean room. It is an older Inn with doors only to the outdoors. You get what you pay for but we were satisfied.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Karen R, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and we are pleased that you were happy with your stay. We hope to see you again in the future.
Portland, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We booked last minute and it was between this and the Econo Lodge, we should have booked the Econo Lodge. The front desk clerk was rude as ever at check-in and when neither of our room keys worked for our room, she acted like we were stupid. As soon as I walked in the door I stepped in some sort of liquid, soaking and stinking up my sock. The rooms are only accessible from outside and you have to walk all the way around if you are on the second floor because stairs are only located in the front and back of the building, this was because the door leading to the middle was broken and caution-taped off. This was not the only part of the hotel that was caution taped off. We attempted to use the hot tub but it was past it's capacity of 7 people and didn't look like we could squeeze anymore in there if we wanted to. The only good part was we had 2 queen beds, this was good because when we pulled back the sheets to sleep in the one, it had stains all over the sheets. The walls were so thin i could hear the people in the room next to us flushing their toilet and starting their water up in the morning for a shower (they were brave to shower there). Upon check-out I had to stand and wait for the only clerk who was working (despite the 4 other people behind the desk) to leave and check our room to return our deposit (even though I put it on a credit card). This caused quit the line when people behind me were also trying to check out. This was not worth the rate of $85/night. It is a NO star hotel with a 3 star price. Econo Lodge, you far surpass this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chelsea s
We are very sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. We have discussed your comments with our entire staff and made needed corrections to ensure a better experience for our guests. We hope you will return the next time you are in town to see the improvements we have made. Thank you for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Petoskey hotels

Fenton, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here for one night and it was a miserable stay. First of all, it is outdoor entrance. There were "white out" conditions so it was cold, difficult to see, and dangerous due to the fact the steps had not been shoveled. At the same time, there were rooms closed with caution tape on them due to the fact the snow was piled so high on the room that it might have made them dangerous (this is my lay person opinion). In the room, the wallpaper was coming off the walls, the shower was tiny, mold in the bathroom, toilet was hard to flush, we had a ghost light (went on and off on its own accord) and the walls were paper thin. At breakfast, we decided to leave to go elsewhere even though it cost more. The breakfast was minimal, there were very few seats, and the garbage can looked like it had been in the apocalypse . It had paint and food stains all over it. Over the night, it snowed approx. 10 more inches and the steps still were not cleared of snow. We would have went elsewhere, but there were no other availabilities any where close.

Room Tip: Don't go! It's not worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank VacationGirl222
We are very sorry that your experience here was not a good one. Also we would like to apologize for the massive amounts of snow we received during your visit. The plow company was out 4 times that day and our maintenence crew shoveled around the clock, but we just could not keep up with the snowfall. We have reviewed the issues you encountered in the room with our staff and made the needed corrections. Again, sorry you were not happy and we truly hope you will try us again in the future.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

My significant other and I decided to take a weekend to go up north from Grand Rapids and go skiing at Boyne Highlands on a Saturday and Boyne Mountain on Sunday. Petoskey is the location that makes the most sense for a trip like this, and we knew we didn't want a very expensive place. After reading a few TripAdvisor reviews and looking at room rates, we decided to go with the America's Best Value Inn.

We arrived at around 9:30 p.m on a Friday night. The check-in process was quick and easy. The clerk checking us in was friendly and gave us a room on the first floor. All the rooms face the outside, so you can park close to your room. Our room was clean and comfortable. No complaints about the bed. We slept well both nights.

On the second night, we decided to check out the pool/hot tub area. It's a bit awkward going to the pool in the winter because you've got your swimsuit on and are stepping outside in something like 10-degree temperatures, but your skin is not exposed very long because you quickly enter another door, then go outside again for 8 seconds, and then enter another door to go where the pool is. We didn't use the pool so I can't comment on the water temperature there. But the hot tub was nice.

Another perk at staying at this motel is that there's a connection with the Odawa Casino where a shuttle will pick you up from the main entrance and drive you to the casino. That was cool. The front desk clerk had given us coupons to watch a comedy show for free (normally $5). We had a fun time at the casino and loved having the shuttle service to take us back to the hotel when we were ready.

One thing I will say is that the breakfast could have been better. I hate complaining about any hotel breakfasts because, years ago, hotels like this never offered these kinds of breakfasts with waffle irons, bagels, cereal, etc. However, I've been to a lot of hotels over the past 10 years and have experienced many better breakfasts than the one we had at this America's Best Value. The waffle batter was particularly runny, and the waffle was kind of uncooked (I noticed the runny batter texture when I was eating the waffle). They do have oatmeal, juices, donuts, and whatnot, but the food overall is of pretty low quality. Although, hey ... I shouldn't complain because you get what you pay for. The second morning we ended up going back to the casino for their breakfast buffet because we didn't like the breakfast at the motel and because we'd gotten coupons for a discount on the casino's breakfast buffet.

One downside to this motel is that we noticed caution tape on the second floor blocking some of the rooms. Not sure if that meant all rooms on the second floor were not able to be used or if there were just maintenance issues with a few of them.

The check-out process was quick and easy. No issues there.

I had a really hard time choosing between Average and Very Good for my overall rating. Ultimately I'm giving it an Average because of the poor breakfast quality and the fact that the motel is old and possibly has some maintenance issues. What would have tipped it in favor of the Very Good rating would be the excellent sleep quality and the pool/hot tub. I'd prefer to give it a 3.5 out of 5, but I can only choose between a 3 and a 4 so I opted for a 3. It was an okay place to stay and the value was all right, but it was nothing special in any way.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank New_friends_GR
Manistee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

9:00 pm on a Sunday night. Tried to make a reservation. The lady that answered the phone was snippy with my questions regarding shuttle/room quotes. I finally had enough and said to forget the reservation that I felt she was snippy with me but thank you anyway. She hung up on me so I called her back and started off by saying "I was sorry for offending her but that is very unprofessional to hang up". She said I offended her and that is why she hung up. As she bantered me I asked to speak to the manager(which she said was her), then I asked for supervisors name (which she said she was the supervisor) and she said she was the owner. She would not give me her name. She told me she didn't want me to stay at her hotel that I was rude. She then hung up on me AGAIN!!! Thankfully I called so I wasn't met at the desk with this unprofessionalism.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Gwen N
I am very sorry for the miscommunication during your call. As I explained when we spoke the second time, we were genuinely having issues with our phone lines and we were disconnected. Again, please accept our apologies for the misunderstanding.
Kentwood, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I used my Value Club card and got the room for $76. The hotel is showing some wear and age. It appears to have been a Best Western prior. Desk staff were friendly and efficient. When I checked in there was only one room available but the hotel was empty. There were less than 10 cars in the parking lot. Not sure why they are leaving rooms empty but it sure was odd. Room and bath were clean except for the carpet. It needs to be cleaned as it left my socks black from walking on it. Wi-fi was fast and stayed connected. Bathroom was clean. Bed was a bit lumpy but it worked. Pool had plenty of chlorine. Had to walk outdoors to get to it so it would be a negative in the winter months. Good size and has a 9' deep end. Breakfast was the typical but waffles were the only "hot" item. Ample standard parking. Might be an issue for a car w/ trailer if they were full. Overall it was an ok stay. If they clean the carpets more often I'd stay again but with the other competition in the area, I picked another place on my return stop thru Petoskey.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple