“Pool Repairs are being made and ext. painting in the Fall is promised”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Still a good value, especially on weekdays, although not recommended for late Fall and Winter, as the in-room heating system is "slow" to heat up. Nice-sized rooms, clean and fresh for the most part. The room ceilings are not at all low, but super-tall people might have a problem. Small almost unusable-sized bath tub. Big people will have to shower. A typical free breakfast with Belgian waffles, but I recommend the "quaint-looking" bar-restaurant across the street instead. (see separate review). No problem with the desk clerk(s), curiously reported as unfriendly-or worse by others. Be sure to sign up for the free "loyalty card" online to save 15% everyday (the best discount available). When the outside is finally "fixed up" I may upgrade this rating. Great location near the center of town and not far from the Casino. Not brand-spanking new. About a 40 year-old property. The large indoor pool was closed for repairs in June 2014. It is expected to reopen soon.

Room Tip: No room service. Maybe pizza delivery, but a nice old-fashioned bar, a little Caesars and a Supermar...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike_48128
Karen R, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for understanding about our pool repair. The extensive damage the massive winter we had caused our pool area to be gutted and redone due to water in the walls. The pool will be up and running by mid-June. Sorry for any in convienence this has caused and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We booked this hotel because it was the lowest rate in the area for a hotel with an indoor pool. And indoor pool is a MUST HAVE when travelling with our 3-year-old. When we arrived, the outside of the hotel looked dilapidated and unkempt. I very seriously considered canceling our reservation when we pulled in.

My husband checked us in and got the room keys then pulled our car through the covered entryway of the hotel to drive around back - except that the parking lot doesn't actually connect! It takes you to an electronics store where you have to either back up all the way to the hotel parking lot again, or make a left onto the main strip in order to double back to the parking lot.

Our room was around the back in a separate building from the main building. It looked completely different than the main building, and there were no signs. I didn't think it was part of the hotel, but my husband insisted it was.

The room itself was okay. It was fairly clean, and they upgraded us to a jacuzzi room for free. The only complaint I have about the room itself was that the toilet was not level and the bed sheets were too small and kept pulling off the corners of the mattress.

The biggest disappointment, however, was that the indoor pool was closed - which was the ONLY reason we booked this hotel. Thankfully, my in-laws were staying at the Hampton down the street so my daughter got to swim there. We also skipped our continental breakfast and had it at the Hampton, so I don't know how it was. We won't be staying at this hotel again. The Hampton was really nice though.

Room Tip: Okay for budget-minded adults. I wouldn't bring the kids here.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle D

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts. I do apologize for the inconvienence our pool repair has caused you. It should be up and running by mid-June. The winter caused extensive damage to our property and we are doing everything possible to make the necessary repairs. There can be delays working with insurance companies and contractors. I hope you will try us again in the near future and give us another chance.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have stayed here on several occasions, it was previously the Best Western. Lady at the front desk is very condescending and treats you as if you are stupid if you have any questions. No way to treat paying customers. The lobby has a sign posted that it opens at 6 am. Being early risers my wife and I went down at 6 am for coffee. The manager unlocked the doors at 6 am but said that breakfast wasn't until 7am and no coffee until 7am either. We had to get in the car and drive to McDonald's since we don't like to use the tiny room coffee pot. Room is adequate at best but the bed was saggy and uncomfortable, sheets are stained, towels are thin. Price is okay so I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I do apologize for the coffee not being available at 6am. Our office opens at 6am and breakfast is prepped between 6 and 7. Our breakfast hours are 7am-10am and coffee was just being brewed. I apologize for any inconvienence this caused you.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

If you need a place to sleep and get free breakfast for one or two nights, this place is fine.This was a mid week winter ski trip with a buddy. There were very few people at the place, so we cannot say if it gets loud in the rooms. I doubt I would stay for longer than two nights. Evening desk help was very helpful - better than at most expensive hotels I have stayed at. Location for ski slopes (and the casino) was good. We had a clean room. It is an older Inn with doors only to the outdoors. You get what you pay for but we were satisfied.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Karen R, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and we are pleased that you were happy with your stay. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We booked last minute and it was between this and the Econo Lodge, we should have booked the Econo Lodge. The front desk clerk was rude as ever at check-in and when neither of our room keys worked for our room, she acted like we were stupid. As soon as I walked in the door I stepped in some sort of liquid, soaking and stinking up my sock. The rooms are only accessible from outside and you have to walk all the way around if you are on the second floor because stairs are only located in the front and back of the building, this was because the door leading to the middle was broken and caution-taped off. This was not the only part of the hotel that was caution taped off. We attempted to use the hot tub but it was past it's capacity of 7 people and didn't look like we could squeeze anymore in there if we wanted to. The only good part was we had 2 queen beds, this was good because when we pulled back the sheets to sleep in the one, it had stains all over the sheets. The walls were so thin i could hear the people in the room next to us flushing their toilet and starting their water up in the morning for a shower (they were brave to shower there). Upon check-out I had to stand and wait for the only clerk who was working (despite the 4 other people behind the desk) to leave and check our room to return our deposit (even though I put it on a credit card). This caused quit the line when people behind me were also trying to check out. This was not worth the rate of $85/night. It is a NO star hotel with a 3 star price. Econo Lodge, you far surpass this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chelsea s

We are very sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. We have discussed your comments with our entire staff and made needed corrections to ensure a better experience for our guests. We hope you will return the next time you are in town to see the improvements we have made. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here for one night and it was a miserable stay. First of all, it is outdoor entrance. There were "white out" conditions so it was cold, difficult to see, and dangerous due to the fact the steps had not been shoveled. At the same time, there were rooms closed with caution tape on them due to the fact the snow was piled so high on the room that it might have made them dangerous (this is my lay person opinion). In the room, the wallpaper was coming off the walls, the shower was tiny, mold in the bathroom, toilet was hard to flush, we had a ghost light (went on and off on its own accord) and the walls were paper thin. At breakfast, we decided to leave to go elsewhere even though it cost more. The breakfast was minimal, there were very few seats, and the garbage can looked like it had been in the apocalypse . It had paint and food stains all over it. Over the night, it snowed approx. 10 more inches and the steps still were not cleared of snow. We would have went elsewhere, but there were no other availabilities any where close.

Room Tip: Don't go! It's not worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank VacationGirl222

We are very sorry that your experience here was not a good one. Also we would like to apologize for the massive amounts of snow we received during your visit. The plow company was out 4 times that day and our maintenence crew shoveled around the clock, but we just could not keep up with the snowfall. We have reviewed the issues you encountered in the room with our staff and made the needed corrections. Again, sorry you were not happy and we truly hope you will try us again in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My significant other and I decided to take a weekend to go up north from Grand Rapids and go skiing at Boyne Highlands on a Saturday and Boyne Mountain on Sunday. Petoskey is the location that makes the most sense for a trip like this, and we knew we didn't want a very expensive place. After reading a few TripAdvisor reviews and looking at room rates, we decided to go with the America's Best Value Inn.

We arrived at around 9:30 p.m on a Friday night. The check-in process was quick and easy. The clerk checking us in was friendly and gave us a room on the first floor. All the rooms face the outside, so you can park close to your room. Our room was clean and comfortable. No complaints about the bed. We slept well both nights.

On the second night, we decided to check out the pool/hot tub area. It's a bit awkward going to the pool in the winter because you've got your swimsuit on and are stepping outside in something like 10-degree temperatures, but your skin is not exposed very long because you quickly enter another door, then go outside again for 8 seconds, and then enter another door to go where the pool is. We didn't use the pool so I can't comment on the water temperature there. But the hot tub was nice.

Another perk at staying at this motel is that there's a connection with the Odawa Casino where a shuttle will pick you up from the main entrance and drive you to the casino. That was cool. The front desk clerk had given us coupons to watch a comedy show for free (normally $5). We had a fun time at the casino and loved having the shuttle service to take us back to the hotel when we were ready.

One thing I will say is that the breakfast could have been better. I hate complaining about any hotel breakfasts because, years ago, hotels like this never offered these kinds of breakfasts with waffle irons, bagels, cereal, etc. However, I've been to a lot of hotels over the past 10 years and have experienced many better breakfasts than the one we had at this America's Best Value. The waffle batter was particularly runny, and the waffle was kind of uncooked (I noticed the runny batter texture when I was eating the waffle). They do have oatmeal, juices, donuts, and whatnot, but the food overall is of pretty low quality. Although, hey ... I shouldn't complain because you get what you pay for. The second morning we ended up going back to the casino for their breakfast buffet because we didn't like the breakfast at the motel and because we'd gotten coupons for a discount on the casino's breakfast buffet.

One downside to this motel is that we noticed caution tape on the second floor blocking some of the rooms. Not sure if that meant all rooms on the second floor were not able to be used or if there were just maintenance issues with a few of them.

The check-out process was quick and easy. No issues there.

I had a really hard time choosing between Average and Very Good for my overall rating. Ultimately I'm giving it an Average because of the poor breakfast quality and the fact that the motel is old and possibly has some maintenance issues. What would have tipped it in favor of the Very Good rating would be the excellent sleep quality and the pool/hot tub. I'd prefer to give it a 3.5 out of 5, but I can only choose between a 3 and a 4 so I opted for a 3. It was an okay place to stay and the value was all right, but it was nothing special in any way.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple