“please do not stay” 1 of 5 bubbles

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
“please do not stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

got checked in late then door would not lock and had to move rooms. no wifi in room. gross old worn sheets like sleeping on sand paper. we were told this room was an up grade. when getting ice saw the maids room door ajar. Where the maids keep the linens was more dirty than any room including the basement crawl space you would find in my house. We made the mistake of prepaying thru aarp and the manager would not give a refund for the final night. i do not see advantage off prepay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Midland, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

had team reservations at this place. don't lean on handrails outside they are broken in multiple areas. Accident waiting to happen. The whole outside is falling apart. paint peeling everywhere. They did some work on the rooms and the beds were comfortable. Shower curtain literally is being stepped on while showering. Gross. I can just imagine the germs on this. No towels, washcloths, or hand towels on the 3rd night there. Just happened to be the night we came back around midnight. Love going to front desk at that time NOT! Never vacuumed all 3 days. Asked for late checkout and they said they could do one hour. I wanted 2. Lady manager said anything after 12 pm and they had to charge another day. Really? Continental breakfast had rotten orange juice one day. they have the regular boring waffle machine and cereal and muffins nothing special. wont go back unless petosky is booked everywhere. $138 a night I was expecting far more.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms by the office if you go. there is a deck there and they party late. . managemen...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Petoskey hotels

Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have to agree with the other reviewers on this one. I booked this place for 3 couples and I have to say, after going back and re-reading some of the reviews, I was a little apprehensive about my choice of hotels. The rooms were clean, but the towels were very small and have seen better days. They were very rough feeling and needs replacement. The rooms had updated, large screen TVs and the beds were reasonably comfortable. We did not have time to use the pool, as we were enticed to go the the nearby casino. The building is scary from the outside and in definite need of refurbishing. It can really scare you to even go in the place. The breakfast was ordinary for "free breakfasts". Not super, but ok. The clerk was very helpful and friendly. For the area, in the middle of the summer, this was the best we could do without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: Two story, so request first floor if steps are an issue. Even need to take steps to get into the lob...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sharon S
Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Unfortunately not happy with facility and expensive for what we received. A little outdated washroom and furnishings. Would have stayed elsewhere, however, all facilities booked and was unable to move locations. Had to remove ceiling tile to use elyptical machine....this was silly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank Andrew A
troy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Best Value needs an update. The building and rooms are very worn. I was pleased that the room was not dirty but couldn't help but feel anxious with the overall look of the building. I felt that the room was overpriced for the condition. The front desk person was helpful in suggesting places to eat in Petoskey.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
Lansing, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The sheets and bathroom were clean, and the hotel staff was friendly. Other than that, this hotel was a big disappointment. The pool was cold. The hot tub was broken. Breakfast was average. Fortunately for us, the weather was nice, so we were only at the hotel to sleep. I would not stay here again. I paid way too much for what we got.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CindiB53
Windsor, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked this hotel through hotwire. Because of the price I paid I was thinking a certain standard. Well I certainly was surprised when we arrived. I travelled up with a girlfriend for two days of visiting this beautiful place. The room they gave us was up a few flights of stairs facing the parking lot. This was not a hotel but a motel as far as I was concerned. Entry was from outside. We get up to our room after hauling our luggage, a cooler and laptops only to find one bed. No where on my reservation did it indicate one bed. I find one bed in any situation unusual. Down to the desk where the attendant was not pleasant and kept on telling me I had to take it up with hotwire. Did not want to bend on anything to make us happy. We eventually had to pay for an upgraded room with two beds. I am so glad we did as I know we could not have stayed in that room. On the up side it had a fridge, a microwave and a safe. All good there.
The room was clean. We were right beside a pathway so we had to close the curtains at night. The air conditioning worked well. The continental breakfast was fair. I think I would pay more and stay somewhere else. Carpeting in the hallway was filthy. Outside appearance was neat but inside means more to me.

Room Tip: Dont pay this much money for this place
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends