“House with a history” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Germany
“House with a history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel by the recommendation of some friends when I had a few days off on a business trip.
I was lucky to have a room with a view to the bay.
The house itself is pure history, very neetly decorated.
The personal was very friendly and helpfull.
My room was not too big, but very comfortable, it had a nice little balcony.
The bed was of a decent quality, the view to the bay outstanding.
Of course the house is old, so the floor was creaking and the controler for the AC looked very old fashioned, but it worked well.
The AC just to mention was working very silently and I didn't needed to turn it off which I have to do in a hotel most of the time.
What I didn't like so much? Maybe the Pub in the basement, but there was nice live music, so what the heck...
and, just to say, the room rate was a bit to the higher side..., weekend, weddings etc.

Room Tip: room # 215 has a nice view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Ernest Hemingway slept here, says the plaque on the front of the old hotel, and that tells you what you need to know: The Perry Hotel is a vintage but well-maintained operation in a charming location that Hemingway could easily have chosen as a young man. The property drips with references to its own history, and the somewhat odd spaces and rooms reinforce the feeling that you have stepped back. That said, our room was very comfortable, the shower worked well, and the infrastructure seems fine. Apart from its luminous history, the selling features of the Perry are location -- perfect access to the array of true quality shops and restaurants, and the waterfront, that make Petoskey a superior destination -- and a more than usually friendly and helpful hotel staff. It is hard to imagine that other places in Petoskey could top this combination -- but they do, and I wonder how.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, with wonderful views of the water.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Basingstoke60654
Marquette, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel is a must stay! This is an old hotel, but you can tell that it is well taken care of. It was very clean. I was a little worried about the door to my room as you could see light through it, but I had a great night sleep. Staff is very helpful and friendly. The location of this hotel is great and was able to walk through downtown and enjoy the town without having to get in my car. I will definitely stay here again if I find myself in Petoskey again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Redheadedyooper
Northville, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

A classic hotel with wonderful common areas. This is what hotels with character should be. It is really nice and in a great location in downtown Petoskey.

The rooms are large and classically designed. The front desk and hotel staff were very friendly.

Highly recommend a stay at this historic spot. Really cool.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Marquette, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We spent a night at the Perry while in town for a basketball tournament with our disabled son. The hotel is very well kept, and the check-in went very smooth. When we arrived at our room it was quite small and had two double beds. Our son, would not have done well in the room and we returned to the desk where the clerk immediately moved us to a larger room with two queen beds which worked much better for us without an upcharge. The only issue we had with the room is that it just didn't get warm. The thermostats didn't appear to work and we did contact the front desk once but it didn't really get any warmer. The bathroom had been renovated recently and was well appointed. Water pressure was good which with older properties you don't always get. Bed was comfortable, WiFi worked fine, had a flat screen TV and was clean. We had dinner in the Noggin room after the game and even though the kitchen was closing we were able to get what we wanted and it was all very good. The pizza was really good and I enjoyed their spaghetti while others had sandwiches and salad. No complaints. We didn't really use the spa or exercise area due to time. Part of the group had breakfast and said it was good but expensive (if you book on-line it's not included) and the server had an edge when she learned we booked on-line for some reason. The hallways reminded me of the Overlook Hotel in The Shining, and I suspect there could be a ghost or two roaming the hallways but for me that was a fun part of the experience. We are planning a getaway this summer and think that the Perry will be high on our list of options.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dave A
Mt. Pleasant, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We live in mid-Michigan, and have stayed at the Perry regularly over the past 10 years. It is lovely historic hotel, with nicely appointed rooms. The view is fabulous, the service is outstanding, and the room have unique charm. We especially enjoy the common sitting area near the fireplace, and the wraparound porch when the weather permits. The Stafford is walking distance to several wonderful downtown Petoskey restaurants, and the bar on the lower level of the hotel usually has live entertainment which is a great way to end a day. This is one of our favorite "go-to" places to unwind.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy P
Ohio City, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I spent a weekend in the middle of a great ski season at this well-known old hotel. it is about a half-hour from Boyne Highland, where I skied. The hotel has lots of charming furniture, ornaments, and atmosphere. The front lobby abutting the dining area is beautiful. The rooms were nice and I felt comfortable. My room had a gas fireplace, a nice touch.

The room prices were OK, and I was able to get an upgrade for my room without paying more.

I used the workout room, which was OK, though it was a little dark and somewhat cold.

The staff were both helpful and flexible, which I find to be particularly important when I travel. For instance, they were able to prepare a breakfast for me to take with me when I left very early in the morning to catch my flight (i.e., I left the hotel before breakfast started).

One thing I did not like was that the rooms do not have individual climate control, because of the age of the hotel. After skiing, I like to warm up by cranking up the temperature but this was not possible.

Room Tip: For an extra $5 per night, you can get a refrigerator in your room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo