“Wonderfully charming and haunted”

Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Petoskey B&B and Inns
Fowlerville, Michigan
“Wonderfully charming and haunted”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I just returned from a weekend Yoga retreat at the Terrace Inn with renouned Yoga instructor, Cindy Gray. The Inn is filled with charm and charecter and turned out to be a great place to practice Yoga. The owners, Patty and Mo, welcomed us like family. There are several lounge areas to sit and read or simply relax. The Inn is situated in the middle of the 100+ year old Victorian Bay View neighborhood and is 2 blocks from Lake Michigan and there are many parks in the area. It's a great place to walk, run or cross country ski or just sit on the porch take in the view. The food was excellent. The Chicken Hemingway and potato leak soup can't be beat.

If you go in the winter, be sure to book a sleigh ride through the neighborhood. It's a lot of fun and the driver is knowledgable about the area.

I love this Inn, I love the area, and I will return. However, I will not stay in Room #211. I stayed alone in the room and had a hair-raising experience with one of the paranormal inhabitants. I was told later that a lot of the paranormal activity takes place in this room and in this wing of the building, mostly on the 2nd and 3rd floors. I have chills just typing about it. There are many people who enjoy this type of thrill. In fact, the Inn hosts a Ghost Hunting weekend each October. However, this girl has booked Rm 100, a large jaquzzi suite with less reported "activity", and is bringing her husband on another weekend in the fall.

Room Tip: Some rooms only have small showers, others have both shower and bath, and some have jetted tubs. If...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank LauraLee_954

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Michigan
Reviewed 26 January 2013

This was our second stay at the The Terrace Inn. We enjoyed it as much as the first. You have to like older places to stay here. The fixtures and amenities are up to date, but the rooms are as they were in older hotels. The staff is quite helpful; they even sent a pair of left behind earrings to me. We particularly enjoyed sitting by the fire in the main lobby. Most everything else in Bay View is closed in the winter so be prepared to drive a couple of miles if you want to shop or go to another restaurant. The dining room at the inn is nice, and the food good.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryAD
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I generally shy away from older properties as I don't like antique bathrooms, but this place blew me away. Everything was updated-bathrooms, fixtures, beds, linens, new carpet, fresh wall paper and paint. However, the Antique touches and original architecture still remain. When we walked in, it was eerily reminiscent of the Stanley Hotel from "The Shinning." After talking to the hilarious staff-including Igor, one of the night managers-it was less creepy and more "Transylvania 6-5000." Best winter trip yet. I'll be back!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SandyLy0ns
michigan
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I absolutely love staying at the Terrace Inn and have been staying here for years for both work and personal trips. I stayed again last week and as always, had a great experience. Patti and Mo, the owners, are great hosts! You will relax and forget about day to day stresses once you enter the idyllic Bayview community. The setting is so unique and it will make you feel like you have stepped back in time. The Terrace Inn is very clean and comfortable. There is an ecclectic mix of antiques and folk style decor and I think that is part of the charm. It is not generic like your typical hotel. You will feel like you are a guest at someone's home. It is a very personal feeling. The beds and bed linens Patti uses are super comfortable and the rooms are very clean! You will wake up to the sound of birds singing outside your window. There is a real fireplace in the lobby where you can relax or read by the fire. A very nice breakfast is included in your already a great value room rate. You can go for walks in Bayview and admire the architecture of the hundreds of Victorian style homes and cottages or enjoy shopping and dining in Petoskey or Harbor Springs which is also closeby.

Room Tip: Showers are small so a room with a tub/shower is better.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank hobiecatsailor
Onaway, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This year was my first time visiting the Terrace Inn in Bay View, MI. My daughter and I attended the Ghost Hunt overnight and we left as happy visitors. I loved the beautiful interior of the Inn, felt like I had walked into a nostalgic space, they did a great job of restoring the Terrace to almost the original state. The staff was courteous at all times, the rooms were beautiful and immaculate and the food was superb. I even experienced some hair raising experiences in our room throughout the night. I was terrified but excited, I will be attending again next year. All the stories I've heard throughout the years about the strange and ghostly occurances.....I am now a believer.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk when you make your reservation which rooms have the most occurances of strange vi...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Traci S
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We stayed at the Terrace Inn over the Halloween weekend, October 26th and 27th for their annual Ghost Hunting weekend. This was our third year visiting the Terrace Inn. Prior to this year we have always had a good experience and very much looked forward to returning. However, this year the prices went up for the King suite we stayed in. The food quality at dinner went WAY down (we were served a buffet of barely edible food). And the owner's behavior upon check out was inexcusable. My sister-in-law had brought her 5 and 10 year old girls along for the ghost hunt this year. They were both fine with the experience and VERY well behaved. If they had shown any fear or misbehaved, any one of the women in our group (including their mom) would have instantly taken them back to one of our rooms to relax. Upon checkout, my sister-in-law walked downstairs, only to overhear the owner, Patti, having a conversation with a couple of patrons saying that my sister-in-law's parenting was inappropriate because she allowed her girls to participate in the ghost hunt! How awful for my sister-in-law. We were all heart broken and angered by the overly judgmental treatment we received. Over the years we have rented any where from 3 to 8 rooms yearly at this Inn. We will not return. An inn-keeper should make her guests feel welcome, not judged and angry. Boo for you, Terrace Inn. Bad form.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Toesinthesa
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed at The Terrace Inn last weekend because we had a wedding to attend (at the big fancy hotel on the lake shore with the red roof). We are not big fancy hotel people so I chose the Terrace Inn. We had a King first floor room. It was quiet an cozy and the bed was comfortable. The room was clean. Breakfast exceeded our expectations. The only problem we had was the shower got cold every time someone in another room flushed the toilet. I would not advise bringing smaller children to this Inn. It is a great romantic getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple