“One of our favourite weekends ever!”

Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Petoskey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The great reviews for the Terrace Inn are well deserved. We found plenty of parking available on Glendale and really enjoyed the beautifully maintained front yard, back yard and porch areas. The front desk staff were so kind and friendly and we were given a smiling whole heart welcome by them all the time. The lobby is a whimsical treat and a truly inviting area to be in. The rooms are quaint, clean and decorated softly, reminiscent of days gone by. We ate all of our breakfasts and dinners at the Terrace 1911 restaurant and what a culinary delight...Crab legs, prime rib, ribs, whitefish, green peas risotto, stuffing and perch were a few of the dishes our group of 4 tried and we were so pleased with each and every one of them. The deserts are amazing especially the pies and strawberry shortcake. We are already planning a Fall getaway and looking forward to spending New Years Eve 2013 at the Terrace Inn. Thank you to the owners for running such a wonderful B&B with staff who are a team of caring, thoughtful and respectful individuals. We can't wait to stay at the Terrace again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank soo78

Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

We booked this place based on great reviews which in turn was not well maintained, limited parking spots, a chef (who looked like the maintenance person) had dirty finger nails, a key chain of 29 keys hanging from his belt loop, and took our order without giving us options. We have been to several B & B's and this we must say was the worst experience. If your looking for a place to stay without many the B&B amenities, then this place may be for you. We never were welcomed or met the inn keepers which obviously shows the lack of people skills, professionalism, and rudeness! We paid $135/night and I would this place no more than $35/ night based on the amenities provided. I cannot say anything good about this place.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank tutunatu123
PetoskeyInnkeeper, Manager at Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

I do apologize for your stay. However, you reserved this room knowing that we were closed for our off season for maintenance. Our maintainence manager, not our Chef, was the only one here during that time. That is not how we run our Inn year-round. It was out of courtesy to you that we opened for you to stay. Normally we do not accept reservations during this time because we are not at our full standard. I hope you do return and experience the Terrace Inn when we are opened for business and at our best. (May thru February)

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Last year I tried to book a reservation for an event that was advertised online. Was told the price was going to be $40 more than what was quoted online. When I questioned the discrepancy I was contacted by "one of the owners-Patty". She offered to split the difference in cost (asking me to pay $20 more than the advertised price). She then tried to justify her bait-and-switch by proceeding to give me a lecture on the "value" of the event and admonished that "everyone else attending will pay full price". As a Customer Service Manager for over 20 years I was nothing short of appalled. Suffice it to say I will never consider nor recommend Terrace Inn to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Angie C
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We attended the Valentine's Day weekend this year (2013) and are thoroughly delighted. The package is worth every cent, the dance (and the dance lessons) were great, and we are already planning to attend next year.
The package included a room for two nights, dance lessons, two breakfasts, one dinner, and a horse-drawn wagon ride around the Bay View community. All of the staff were great and the owners personally saw to guests' comfort and convenience. Next year I want to get the haunted room upstairs; the only thing I missed was the ghost!

Room Tip: This is our second time here and and we have had the same room each time. However, people gather ar...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles K
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I just returned from a weekend Yoga retreat at the Terrace Inn with renouned Yoga instructor, Cindy Gray. The Inn is filled with charm and charecter and turned out to be a great place to practice Yoga. The owners, Patty and Mo, welcomed us like family. There are several lounge areas to sit and read or simply relax. The Inn is situated in the middle of the 100+ year old Victorian Bay View neighborhood and is 2 blocks from Lake Michigan and there are many parks in the area. It's a great place to walk, run or cross country ski or just sit on the porch take in the view. The food was excellent. The Chicken Hemingway and potato leak soup can't be beat.

If you go in the winter, be sure to book a sleigh ride through the neighborhood. It's a lot of fun and the driver is knowledgable about the area.

I love this Inn, I love the area, and I will return. However, I will not stay in Room #211. I stayed alone in the room and had a hair-raising experience with one of the paranormal inhabitants. I was told later that a lot of the paranormal activity takes place in this room and in this wing of the building, mostly on the 2nd and 3rd floors. I have chills just typing about it. There are many people who enjoy this type of thrill. In fact, the Inn hosts a Ghost Hunting weekend each October. However, this girl has booked Rm 100, a large jaquzzi suite with less reported "activity", and is bringing her husband on another weekend in the fall.

Room Tip: Some rooms only have small showers, others have both shower and bath, and some have jetted tubs. If...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank LauraLee_954
Reviewed 26 January 2013

This was our second stay at the The Terrace Inn. We enjoyed it as much as the first. You have to like older places to stay here. The fixtures and amenities are up to date, but the rooms are as they were in older hotels. The staff is quite helpful; they even sent a pair of left behind earrings to me. We particularly enjoyed sitting by the fire in the main lobby. Most everything else in Bay View is closed in the winter so be prepared to drive a couple of miles if you want to shop or go to another restaurant. The dining room at the inn is nice, and the food good.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaryAD
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I generally shy away from older properties as I don't like antique bathrooms, but this place blew me away. Everything was updated-bathrooms, fixtures, beds, linens, new carpet, fresh wall paper and paint. However, the Antique touches and original architecture still remain. When we walked in, it was eerily reminiscent of the Stanley Hotel from "The Shinning." After talking to the hilarious staff-including Igor, one of the night managers-it was less creepy and more "Transylvania 6-5000." Best winter trip yet. I'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SandyLy0ns
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petoskey
1 mi away
#3 of 3 in Harbor Springs
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 15 in Petoskey

Been to Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant? Share your experiences!