“Not Your Usual Lodging Establishment”

Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Petoskey B&B and Inns
Bowling Green, Ohio
“Not Your Usual Lodging Establishment”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the Terrace Inn in June. This is an old hotel and our room was small due, I suspect, to installation of a bathroom - which I doubt was an original feature of this room. Still, there was a small closet and, if someone wanted a larger room, they are available for a bit more money. Since we essentially used the room only for sleeping, it was just fine. The room was clean and tastefully decorated. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The large back porch is ideal for relaxing. We had our bicycles with us and the hotel offered easy access to the Little Traverse Wheelway that connects the towns of Harbor Springs and Charlevoix. The attached restaurant features excellent cuisine. Although the menu items are a bit pricey (strictly a personal opinion), we had one dinner and one breakfast meal there and did not regret our decision. I would be very happy to have the opportunity to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed 9 December 2013

If you want a very perfect experience check out the Terrace Inn. We book our Christmas parties every year. The staff are more like friends, they want your experience to be perfect. The food is excellent the rooms are clean and unique. I recommend this place to all, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, try them all
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 25 November 2013

If you're looking for a perfectly sterile, uniform hotel where everything is absolutely brand new and every room looks the same, then I highly recommend finding a chain hotel along the highway somewhere. If you're looking to spend a more memorable vacation in a building that has true character, then I can't recommend the Terrace Inn enough!

The staff was very friendly and more than helpful of our needs; the food in the fine restaurant was really really good (filet wrapped in bacon! 18 year old scotch!), and the rooms gave us the same warm feeling you might get staying at your favorite grandma's house. Very comfortable accommodations at reasonable rates, and who can beat a view of the waves crashing into shore on Lake Michigan? We stayed in one of the smaller cottage rooms and found it to be quite cozy, although if you have children it'd be a good idea to spring for the larger rooms.

Made-to-order breakfast is included with the room and was very good (we french toast with blueberry glaze one day, and a custom omelette with sausage patties the next).

Room Tip: Cottage style rooms are perfect for singles or couples looking to spend time together; spring for a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TravellingCarpenter
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed for a weekend late September with friends and rented two rooms on the second floor. In contrast to our stay in a king suite the previous year, this room had several problems. We were told ahead of time there was no closet which was fine for a short stay, but there were no hooks to hang anything behind the door which was annoying. It was chilly, and there was only a thin quilted bedspread on the bed with a rather worn and stained looking blanket in the chest of drawers. I requested a duvet or comforter, and received one --but there was no duvet cover and the duvet did not look very clean. Only one window opened and there were dead flies next to the screen! Things did not improve the next morning when we went down to breakfast. Packaged bread, one cereal choice, and not very fresh fruit-the apples were brown and the berries looked past their time.For guests who prefer healthy choices, there was nothing to eat that looked appetizing and I had requested soy milk when I made the reservation and reminded the desk clerk the night before--but the kitchen did not have any. We were so turned off by the breakfast we cancelled our plans to eat dinner there and went somewhere else. It is really inexcusable not to have a decent breakfast with healthy, fresh choices at an inn of this caliber. Regrettably, we will not return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pol892
terracePetoskey, Owner at Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
I am just reading this after the fact..so always a real bummer and sense of helplessness to change a guests feelings about their experience. I did talk to the housekeepers about this review. They recalled getting a new comforter, just washed, for the bed. We don't use duvets. I went through every sheets, blanket and bedcovering to check for stains. I was not happy with the housekeepers overlooking this. I made sure all the covers with a hint of a stain were washed. All linens including pillows are washed between guests. I looked at the room and there was a hook behind the bathroom door only. I have put up antique brass coat rack and realized someone had removed the oak coat rack that was in there. I added a shelf i the bathroom and more hooks there as well. As for soy milk, it is not something we would keep on hand, but had I been there in the morning and it was possible I would have run to the store to get some. I did this for skim milk for a guest but getting a front desk person to think this way is not easy. someone really on the ball could have called the person coming in for breakfast to stop and get some soy milk. On the other hand, as a guest if I really wanted it, I would have brought it myself, something guests have done. The flies are not good in the window..I remember this being end of summer, transition time, and I personally went around and told the housekeeper to do the same and get the flies out! Very frustrating that people are not detailed like I am. I went to a place with flies in the window and just told the maid about so they could take care of it..I wouldn't bother putting it on tripadvisor..just me. I have never seen apples served at breakfast..very strange. Our fruit is usually freshly purechased from the farm market Friday and Saturday at the grocery store. I can't go to the server who served it or the cook who put it out to be served because I don't know who to go to. I would encourage all guests with issues/complaints/observations to go right to the owner when it is something important because then we can do something about it..even give you a discount or something to make up for it. I have incorporated a comment card in the guest room to encourage people to come right to the desk when they have a problem and if not resolved..ask for us personally. Again, I apologize for not meeting your expectations.
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Reviewed 23 October 2013

To say that we loved this Inn and our stay is to understate things.

This Inn is not for everyone. If you roll into to Bayview in a Hummer with all your Louis Vuitton luggage, this will probably not work for you and your purse pup. However, if you want to imagine what coming to Petoskey by train for fresh air and porch chat decades ago, this place is phenomenal.

The grounds are beautiful, charming, and serene. The rooms are a little sparse tho hyper clean but if you are spending much time in your room at all, you are missing the point of being in Petoskey. The porch is where you should take up residence. During our stay, the Inn was full of charming and warm people who gladly shared their suggestions for enjoying Little Traverse Bay.

The entire staff of The Terrace Inn was exceptional. They worked together beautifully to ensure everyone's comfort. It was obvious that they were treated well as everyone to a person seemed to take real joy in making sure guests were happy.

Room Tip: A suggestion: the rooms on the north side of the Inn face the grounds and the bay beyond and are wa...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank FondriestX
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was the worst B&B that we have ever stayed at. First, after booking online the confirmation received had us upgraded to a different type of room at an additional $40.00 per night without asking. That was corrected with a phone call. We arrived late Friday evening for their "Leaf Peepers Getaway Package" that included a $20.00 lunch & $50.00 dinner that we paid for. We left Saturday for the Fall tour & asked the young girl at the front desk for information about a couple of local wineries. She was not friendly & looked bored to death! When we got back in the evening to find a wedding going on & the restaurant closed to patrons. The night clerk also was not friendly when asked about our $50 dinner & said all the patrons were told about the wedding, not! Ended up getting a credit on our card & had to go out & find a restaurant. Breakfast buffet,yuk! Plastic table cloths,yuk! Keep your money!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
First, I'd like to apologize for your not having a good experience here. I have spoken to all the staff involved..we took it very personally..being called the worst bed and breakfast is really a negative things for business. What I've gathered is that you should have been informed prior to your stay that a private wedding was taking place Saturday night, and if you wanted to come and enjoy dinner Friday night instead or change the dates of your reservation or cancel you could at that time. This was the responsibility of the front desk which of course if we aren't on top of it comes down to our responsibility. The girls referred to as looking bored is a quiet person and not unfriendly. She is mild-mannered..and always busy working on something. She said she was trying to find the information about the wineries but you were quite rude and impatient. The evening girl said she tried for an hour to work something out to make you happy and couldn't. We told her next time there is a problem to come directly to us and we would handle it. She lacked negotiating skills required. I was here, and didn't even know what happened! I would have not only given you credit back on your card but paid for your dinner out and made the reservation personally and made sure you got the best table. I may have also comped a bottle of wine or discounted your stay. I was told that you were both very angry. I would suggest to anyone in this situation yourself to go directly to the owner if you aren't getting anywhere with the person you are talking to. You have a better chance of rectifying the situation. We of course would like to avoid a negative review on trip advisor and guest leaving with a negative impression. We work very very hard but we aren't perfect and are learning all the time.
I believe that the front desk should be very informed of everything in the area and very helpful and go out of their way to make suggestions and guide you. This is what I would do. Your review went in the personnel files along with the meeting that followed. I purchased rolodexes and gave the girls the job of adding area activities, wineries for one, breweries, art galleries, farm markets..etc..and update the guest binder. There is a direction card to give out associated with that activity now. Also, I am giving them quizzes on this information from time to time. I also have been observing the staff and role modeling in hopes they will do what I do..which is do everything possible to make a guest happy. I do have to correct you about the "plastic tablecloths" ..the breakfast buffet is great and these are oilcloths, not plastic table clothes (cheap kind with the flannel backing) these are expensive oil cloths and perfect for breakfast. We have white linens for dinner, but totally unncecessary and expensive for complimentary breakfast. I encourage people to read other guest reviews regarding the breakfast. It is included in the stay and if alacarte would be very expensive to purchase. Given our rates, this is a good value. I also need to add that you had the color tour maps, directions, and mugs in your room..according to the staff.. While having that in your room is not the same as sharing in person, it was not as if there was no thought put into your package. We now are putting all private events on the website calendar and they are color coded in the reservation system. I obviously can't let up at all on making sure these things are not overlooked. This should not happen and I certainly plan to not let it happen to any one else!
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is a historic hotel in a quiet, peaceful setting for that true "up north" feeling. The owners are very helpful and will do everything to meet your needs. The rooms are all different and there is a nice porch overlooking a park setting. The included breakfast is very good and all the antiques bring back a feeling of a much more relaxed time. We stay here every time we go to northern Michigan.

Room Tip: Be aware there is no elevator but the rooms on the first floor are available and very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petoskey
The Apple Tree Inn
#7 of 15 in Petoskey
Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn
#3 of 3 in Harbor Springs

Been to Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant? Share your experiences!