“Nice building but a joke for service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant

Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Petoskey B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice building but a joke for service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Nice old building in nice location by the lake but it stops there. Front desk staff girls where like walking Zombies, no acknowledgement at all when you walk in, no smile no hello and didn't seem to know how to check someone in. Often no one there at front desk for long stretches of time. When you do get their attention they make you sign a paper with their "policies" urgh!! No help offered to carry our luggage up the stairs and no elevator. The floor and walls are thin and you can hear people trouncing around all night and morning. 1911 restaurant had no one there day or night. So if the lake view is all you need then you are all set.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank V5330DVRobert_B
Patty R, Owner at Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 October 2014
First, I'd like to say that this review bothered me a great deal. Having not been on site this summer as I have been managing at our other property, I was really upset that our front desk staff would be perceived as unfriendly. That being said, calling them walking zombies is not necessary, nor helpful. I know these girls now, and I agree that they do not have a lively affect. They are nice and competent and should be more outgoing and helpful, but they are very busy when folks are checking in and they can't be smiling all the time.

I talked to them about asking to help with luggage, obviously, it is difficult for them to do so when they are busy at the desk, but I informed them to be prepared and ask the housekeeping staff to stay later to help with luggage and/or the kitchen staff.

I have spoken with them both about customer service and feel some of this was not enough training and some is just their individual personalities as on the reserved side.

It is hard appreciate this sort of feedback because I don't like sarcasm, so that was a turn off while reading this. I don't think this guess would like the place even if the staff were friendly. We are a member of Bay View association and we have policies we have to inform guests of or Bay View will have a problem with us/and or our guests. We can't change that. Also, the keys are solid brass antiques. We lost alot of them when we didn't charge a key deposit. However, I talked to the girls and we decided not to have guests put a deposit on them, but to note how many keys they were given and how many they turn in and let them know they will be charged for unreturned keys. I use humor and say they become your souvenir. Truly, I can't replace them for $5.00. The no smoking policy is relevant to our history property. Rarely do guests complain about the policies. If someone has a problem with rules, that is an their own problem. I don't see the big deal on signing a piece of paper. All hotels have a registration paper to sign.

So, while I think this review was rude, I did address the concerns/observations I felt were worthy of addressing and made some changes to streamline the check out process. I also reminded the staff to put the wireless button out and have the intercom with them should they be not at the desk for any reason (getting ice, etc). We had that installed for just that reason. I am not happy that they are away from the desk a long time and guests can't contact them. This has been properly addressed and I thank you for letting me know that.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked this through a Groupon Getaway for a first time visit to Petoskey. Initially, the price was the most attractive feature, as it's been my experience that it is often difficult to find reasonably priced lodging in Northern Michigan during peak season. I've just returned from 2 nights there, and would definitely recommend it, even at rack rates. It is located within Bay View Association, which is a fascinating resort community of Victorian cottages surrounding a main campus, of which some of the buildings date back to the late 1800's. The campus is open to the public, and was nice to walk around. The Inn is centrally located to Gaslight Village, as well as Petoskey State Park. I loved that it was a distance away from the more commercial section of Petoskey. The building itself is definitely "vintage", and it has the quirks of an older structure, but I think that just adds to the charm. We ate dinner the first night in the 1911 Restaurant. The food was good, reasonably priced, and dining on the terrace is fantastic. The complementary breakfast exceeded my expectations; fresh fruit, bagels, scones, yogurt, Belgium waffles, two hot breakfast casseroles, bacon, sausage, orange juice and coffee. Overall, I was very pleased with The Terrace Inn, and would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: As it is an older building, you do tend to hear other guests, but quiet hours are enforced from 11pm...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 25soccermom35
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I had never stayed at a B&B before but our traveling companions selected this as one of our stops. It is so large it felt like a historic hotel, which actually what it was. With so many rooms there were lots of guests. Mostly older but quite a few newlyweds and young families. It was a lovely place to stay close to the beach and downtown. Rooms were all antiques and fireplaces but had ac and were very clean. Staff was amazing. We ate dinner and breakfast and both were outstanding. Went above and beyond.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank jenmor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My fiance and I booked a two night stay here for a wedding. We called ahead to ask if we could check in early, and were told that it was fine. However, the people before us checked out late, so our room wasn't ready when we arrived. To make up for this, we were upgraded to a nicer room. Cool!

Overall, I adored the charm of the place. Yes, it's an old building. It creaks, it smells like an old wood cottage, but in the best way possible. I loved it. The room was cozy and unique, and with our upgrade, it came with some amazing perks. Fireplace, jacuzzi, telescope, refrigerator, fancy shower, king sized bed.

The breakfast was delicious. It would have been a good breakfast anywhere! Fresh fruit salad, cheesy potatoes, eggs with veggies, sausage, bacon, breads, yogurt, orange juice, coffee, tea.

I enjoyed my stay very much.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your positive feedback..I'm glad you were upgraded and the situation was handled appropriately given your room wasn't ready when you get there.

I know you took the time to post this review and we do appreciate it! We just have to keep working harder to make the place better..it is really hard to keep it all up, we do our best with the resources we have though.

Thanks and hope to see you again!
Norton Shores, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here again this summer and was once more won over by the charming quaintness. This time we brought our whole family and had 3 rooms on the top floor; felt like we had rented a large suite of rooms. If you yearn for stairs and floors that creak with age, giving the sense of old-world allure, then search no further Up North in Michigan's Lower Peninsula. Less than an hour drive to Mackinac Island Ferry, very close to Petoskey and Harbor Springs and their drawing fascination... perfect place. Include the breakfast, it is filling and delicious in the 1922 Room or on grand front porch. Also easy access to marvelous trail across the over-road walkway on 31. Be sure to take in the opportunity in the summer for concerts in Bay View. Til next time....

Room Tip: No Elevator. Try the Queen room with large sitting area on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gerald H
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

On my birthday June 12th, I walked through the doors of "Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant" and fell in love with the place. It's so cozy and homey. The architecture is amazing and the grounds are so beautiful and lush. This glorious inn is the kind of place you'll never want to leave because it's just so inviting and relaxing. There's a lot of ambiance and history to treasure here. It's a classic place that should appear in a major Hollywood movie. The Terrace Inn is part of Bay View Association so you can really feel the Victorian era here. "LIghts, Camera, Action"

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Mackinaw City, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful meal and evening at The 1911 Restaurant. Their Classic Beef Wellington was very delicious. I highly recommend this place for fine dining in Northern Michigan. The location is in Petoskey’s Bay View Association, and is nested in and among several beautiful Victorian cottages. We dined on the porch, on a popular evening; the ambiance was pleasant with live piano music playing in the background, under the chatter of conversation that filled the air. We enjoyed the open air and had a narrow glimpse of the bay down through a courtyard and past other cottages. The menu prices were as you would expect when fine dining, but the proportions were generous. This restaurant is a good choice for a special occasion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple