“Awesome place, incredible hosts!”

Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Petoskey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Terrace Inn is a great place top get away from it all. We had a great dinner there, and we felt like part of the family. Both Patty and Mo stopped by to chat, and we had one of the best meals I can remember.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grandrapisjeff

Reviewed 11 December 2008

We stayed here during the Petoskey open house weekend and "What a treat!" I wasn't sure what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised. Everyone, from the front desk manager, Emily to the owners, Mo & Patti Rave were very attentive and ready with historical info and entertainment suggestions. Our room on the first floor was a quaint mix of old world charm and modern convenience. Breakfast was amazing, yet totally casual, no rush. Dinner was excellent, the dining room experience is a must! We spent one evening just relaxing in front of the huge fireplace listening to music and people watching. We spent Saturday cross-country skiing on the property - what a beautiful scene, historic homes, towering trees, truly amazing views of Lake Michigan. Everything is 5 minutes away, shopping, the casino, the ski resort. The best place I have stayed - and that includes The Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island.
I would recommend this Inn to anyone looking for an enchanting get away - a step back in time. I not only would recommend this Inn to my best friend, I brought her along for weekend!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank km27952u
Reviewed 5 November 2008

I found the Terrace Inn on line when I was loooking for a special place in which to celebrate my birthday. It surpassed my expectations! That was in 2004. Since that initial stay, I have stayed there over 20 times - whenever I want a relaxing, pampered get-a-way. My partner and I have stayed at the Terrace Inn (and my daughter) in all seasons and have always had a wonderful time. The rooms are quaint, well-decorated and comfortable. I loved the ambiance, the old world style and quiet charm. I also loved the choice to have a
TV in your room(not my choice !) and no phone. My idea of a vacation is to get away from the busy life we lead and just relax. My partner and I both enjoy that we have the time to talk to one another without our daily lives getting in the way. Just sitting on the porch or walking through beautiful Bayview has a calming effect. Once there, you have the privileges of being a Bayview resident. We have crossed the bridge and watched the fireworks from the rocks on July 4th, we have taken sleigh rides in the winter and attended a Murder Mystery weekend with our daughter. We spent New Year's Eve there last year which was one of the most enjoyable New Year's that we have spent in a long time. We have introduced many friends to the Inn and they have all given us rave reviews. The staff are all helpful and very friendly. The rooms are clean and welcoming. The included breakfasts are ample and the food at dinner time is fantastic! The Terrace Inn boasts a varied menu which is superb in taste and presentation. I assure you that if you want a lovely vacation to entice the senses while allowing you to get away from the "rat race" pf daily living, spend a few nights at the Terrace Inn. Even after 2 or 3 nights, you will feel as though you have had a much longer vacation. My partner and I always come home rested, relaxed and looking at the calendar to book our next trip back.

Pam and Michael Richardson

• Stayed: July 2004, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2008

We did not have reservations at the Terrace Inn. My husband grew up in Petoskey, Michigan and took me to see where he stayed as a child. The woman at the front desk was more than helpful and she even gave us a tour. We were shown a number of rooms but we absolutly fell in love with room number 203, the Lillac Lovers room. The room was lovely, and it was exactly what we needed for our trip to the States. We only stayed one night, but we will definately be back for a much longer stay!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pohluk
Reviewed 29 October 2008

What a delight to spend a little time in a quaint hotel nestled in the Bayview community. We enjoyed the charm of a bygone era, with the lovely decor, delicious dining room and warm, friendly people. Plans to return next year are on the drawing board!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chelsea073
Reviewed 12 October 2008

We saw TI online and it looked nice but we were weary, as we've been to other "restored" accommodations only to find cheap cosmetic jobs and shabby chic. Sure enough, using the literal definition of restored, they either stopped when they ran out of money or they don't know what the trade definition of restored means. This place is shabby chic, period. As a shabby chic hotel it works just fine. It is clean, staff are friendly. Electric fireplaces from Menard's/Home Depot does not make for restoration. Neither does Home Depot fixtures, sheet vinyl flooring, old furniture painted purple, etc. Just be forthright and state you're shabby chic on the website, that's all. Then there were the small annyances that went beyond chic and were just shabby. broken shades on windows, wimdows with missing parts (so flies got in), the faucet han dle that falls off in your hand, the floor so slanted they has to re-cut the doors, the buckled paneling, etc etc. That said, there were plenty of happy folks in the lobby and porch. If you have high standards and you assume it will be a truely restored, stop at the dining room. I suspect they did a good job there, saw how much it cost, and then went shabby chic on the rooms. It'd be more tolerable if it were budget priced to reflect what it really is. Also, spalled/broken bricks on the front chimney painted over....um, not restoration...more shab chic. Just be up front on the website....the site with the carefully selected photos of rooms to give the appearance of being something it is not. Now I have to go kill some more flies.

Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank throatwobbler
terracePetoskey, owner at Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2008

After finding this review by chance..I discussed it with all staff..checked the room, and reviewed every page of our website. Staff had no idea that these gentlemen were unhappy during their 3 night stay.and had they known they would have addressed their concerns by 1. letting them move to another available room 2. give them a discount 3. fixed the problems they could in the room and/communicated with us (the owners) so we could. They could have cancelled their last night stay within our policy in fact. We are just sorry they didn't speak up..because we are all very approachable and happy to accommodate our guests. Our guests happiness is our priority. Since that review..we've fixed the legitimate complaints in the room, i.e. the sink faucett, the blinds, and the windows need new ropes which are scheduled for repair this month. These are original and require a specialist to repair with knowledge of historic architecture. The Inn was never meant to be Victorian, formal, fancy, but in 1911 a summer cottage style resort..relaxed and comfortable. The antiques are simple mission-style ..and many are painted. I don't know about shabby chic, it is not new furniture "made" to look old...it's original. As finances allow we will continue updating with quality lighting that fits with the style, the slanted floors and adaptation to the building as it settles will not change, but we will continue taking care of it the best we can. As far as the website goes..there are photos of all the rooms available..we did not select photos of just certain rooms...it is as accurate as we can be in describing such a unique place. Thanks and we are sorry these guests left unhappy
Patty and Mo and all the Staff

Reviewed 22 August 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Terrace for a long weekend in early July. The Inn has great character... It is a beautiful old place that is well-maintained and appointed with antiques from its time period. We had a third floor room with plenty of light on the NE corner. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was large. Breakfasts are good and dining on the terrace is wonderful.

The Inn is in a neighborhood of historic homes. Definitely take a walk around the neighborhood with a map provided by the Inn. The history of this "development:" is interesting and the buildings are architecturally significant.

We also had dinner at the Terrace' on Friday night. The ,meal was outstanding -- worth making a reservation!

And a final word about the staff: Mo (the owner with his wife, Patty) is a terrific host. He attends to the details of the Terrace and is extremely knowledgeable about things to see and do in the area. We had a number of great conversations with him! And he and Patty even have an "artist-in-residence" program at the Inn where they invite an artist to stay for free while also displaying the artist's work in the lobby. (The halls are also adorned with the original works of many local artists.) The entire feel of the place is warm and inviting.

As far as activities, the area is terrific for cycling. If you have questions about nice rides in the area, stop in and see Chet at Revolution Cycle in Charlevoix. Chet is another nice guy who is only too happy to offer maps, tips and directions to some of the nicest bike riding you'll find. Special highlight: the "Tunnel of Trees" ride...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PN_Chicago
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petoskey
Stafford's Perry Hotel
#8 of 15 in Petoskey
Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn
#3 of 3 in Harbor Springs

Been to Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant? Share your experiences!