“I cannot recommend this hotel”
Review of AmericInn Petoskey

AmericInn Petoskey
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Missouri
“I cannot recommend this hotel”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We spent two nights; loved the town. I write a lot of reviews and let the petty stuff go, however, the manager, Dan, is unprofessional.
It's your typical Super 8 motel. They use outdated bed spreads that I hope are cleaned between customers. The television in old fashioned. I have read reviews where the rooms have been updated but our room did not appear to be updated.
We arrived late the first night and were assigned a room on the second floor; there is no elevator so we had to drag our suitcases up a flight of stairs; I can get over that. There was another family checking in the same time we did on the second floor; father was on crutches and struggled to get up the stairs (we helped his daughter get their suitcases up the stairs).
I didn't sleep well because you can hear doors slamming, people in the hallway, and people in the room next door.
I went down for breakfast early and asked what time it ended, the man at the desk (whom i did not realize at the time was Dan) said, "8:00, so we can save on food costs." I could not tell if he was joking but I thought it was a strange comment. Breakfast ends at 10:00.

We left after breakfast and the house keeping staff was right outside our room.
However, when we returned from a day at the bay and beaches at 6:00, we wanted to take showers and go out for dinner. Our room hadn't been cleaned and there were no clean towels. I called the front desk.
At 6:27, I received a call from manager Dan. He wouldn't even let me talk. He asked if I could just wait 5 minutes for towels. I told him that I had already been waiting for 30 minutes. He proceeded to tell me that his grandson just got in the states, his medical concerns, and that he lives 45 minutes away. He told me that he "didn't give a **** about my **** towels". [**** = It is pretty bad when I cannot even repeat the profanity that the manager said to me on tripadvisor.]
We got towels and toiletries but our room was never cleaned. fyi, each room is assigned four little pool towels so there weren't any additional towels in the pool area. The four towels in the room are also small and not very absorbent and since we had already taken showers the night before, they were still wet.
The next morning, I met Dan when checking out. I asked to have our room checked so there would be no additional fees (after reading other reviews). He told me that he was insulted, refused to go upstairs and check my room, and stated there would be no additional fees. (There are signs posted in the room that there is a $12 charge for towels, sign posted in breakfast room for $7.50 to fill your thermos, and smoking charge). He accused me of "yelling at staff in front of a lobby full of people." I tried to tell him that I did not do that since I had called down to the front desk but once again he wouldn't let me talk, turned around and went into his office.

When I made reservations, this hotel was ranked #2; I use tripadviser all the time and find the reviews spot on. However; the reviews appear over inflated for this hotel; probably because they have cards printed up at the front desk requesting comments on tripadviser with instructions.

However, the lady who checked us in and the breakfast staff lady were very friendly.

Room Tip: Request a room on the first floor. There isn't an elevator.
5 Thank MidMoMommy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Indiana
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I normally do not stay at super 8s, however this super 8 exceeded my expectations. The rooms are comfortable and updated. I did think it was a littly pricey for the quality. The breakfast was what I had expected.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Very unprofessional management by Dan Grangood!! He felt it necessary to let it be known in front of other customers that he did not agree with the hospital room rate we and other family members were given.The rooms were reserved in advance and when we checked in our room rate was more than we were quoted. Also we were going to be charged extra for our 14 year son because according to Mr. Grangood "children this age eat like adults at the breakfast that is offered". No where is this extra charge for a child disclosed on their web site or when a room is reserved by phone. We were made to feel by Mr. Grangood that he was doing us a "big favor" by giving us the room rate we were quoted and not charging us extra for our son. We have never been made to feel so unwelcomed at a hotel/motel before. We had reserved a second night but due the the way our family was treated we took our business elsewhere. The experience was even worse for our oldest son and his family!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel/motel!!
5 Thank Jackie F
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Horrible management by Dan Grangood. Disrespected my entire family that booked rooms ahead of time to be there for our newborn child. He changed prices, was extremely argumentative, and to boot called police to escort me, my 9 month pregnant wife ( c-section scheduled for 715 next morning) and two young children off the property at 12am because we complained to much ie.(price change, scissors left on bed when we walked in, disrespectful staff, no ironing board in room, and family not able to check in due to reservation issues) and "distressed" him. Also treats his staff terrible as we'll. By far the worst hotel experience I have had.

• Stayed July 2014
8 Thank JHFrazier
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Nice view of the bay. Found the hotel to be immaculate, and the staff very friendly and informative. While this hotel is obviously not "new", all of the amenities were there, fridge, microwave, pool. They have a great breakfast and free coffee, cookies and fruit in the lobby.

Room Tip: 2nd story has better views of the bay.
1 Thank Lynne C
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hotel is clean and staff were very nice and accommodating. The beds were hard, however, and not very comfortable; it was also difficult to regulate the temperature in the room. The hotel is on Hwy 31 and thus very noisy, which made it difficult to get any sleep. The breakfast area was fine and the attendant very accommodating as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tawas City, Michigan
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Full, beautiful view of the bay on the second floor. Friendly staff and extremely clean rooms, hallways, and common areas. Very quiet, too! Comfortable beds and pillows! Great pool area! My favorite part was the breakfast room: very large room where there were plenty of tables with many choices of food. I will stay there again - definitely. Clean parking lot and a short drive into the touristy areas. Very reasonable rates!

Room Tip: Second floor away from the pool were extremely quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends