“Very Dissatisfied Customer”
Review of Econo Lodge South

Econo Lodge South
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I just want to say to never book a reservation on line with payment. We booked a reservation and then had to cancel plans. They had already taken the payment and it is now over a week and I have called 3 to 4 times to get payment put back in our account. I am now going to the bank to have them help me to get back our 150.00. What an outfit! We always go to this area every summer. I will never book with this hotel again ever!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Cindy F
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge South

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed at the hotel on 5/10/2012 and from the minute we walked into the lobby the cat urine smells was awful, our room was not any cleaner or nicer. There was moldy nasty plates in the microwave area which is also in the same room as the ice machine, this room was not at all clean, nor was the ice machine itself. The lamps in our room were missing the on/off knobs which made it almost impossible to turn them off and on without a pair of pliers (which I had in my truck). The room was musty and stale smelling along with the smell of the cat urine. The curtains would not close so we had to use paper clips in order to close them and keep them closed. We smoked outside of our room in the parking lot, and being that there was not a can or trash bin out doors for butts, we were nice and picked them up and threw them in the trash can in our room. Just trying to be nice and not let the hotel look nastier than it already is. This is a no-no. Throw them on the ground and leave them there. Upon doing this we were accused of smoking in our room and the "Owners" of the hotel are trying to charge us another $50 because we threw our butts in the trash can and tied the bag closed. The pool was also nasty, us girls didn't even want to get into it let alone go into the room. The vending machines were caked with dirt, dust and a heavy layer of funky grime, and was the soda machine. The coffee pot in the room spewed coffee all over the place, and the micro-fridge that it was sitting on was green on the inside and smelled of rotten eggs and rotted fish. The outside of the fridge was yellow in color from not being cleaned, and this was not only noticed up entering the room, but when the coffee pot leaked and was wiped up with a towel, there was a clean streak on the fridge from were the coffee was wiped up. This USED TO BE a NICE and CLEAN hotel up until the others people took it over.

Room Tip: Not clean, Find a different hotel, DO not stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Pamela B
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have been in the Hospitality for almost 18 years and i work pretty much every department of a Hotel and now presently work as a Front Desk Agent at one of the most prominent Resort in Steamboat springs Colorado. So i took a trip to Petoskey Michigan to visit my daughter driving for almost two days when we got to Petoskey at around 3am in the morning we were so tired we stop at the first hotel which was the ECONO LODGE just to stay for the night then we would find another hotel in the morning,when we enter we ask the agent at the desk what the rate was and he said $44 and then we asked what would the total rate if we stayed from 5/3 to 5/8 with the friends and family discount and was told $163.74 so we decided to stay there while in petoskey. On Sunday 6th we was call by the front desk agent the we were suppose to have check out 45 min ago so we told the lady that we were book until the Tuesday 8th so i went to the desk to find out what was going on and this lady was so rude so when asked to speak with the manager we was told that he wont be in until Monday so i told the lady that i will talk then, five min later the room phone rang it was a guy who claims he was the manager but wouldn't give us his name when asked that was kinda odd any ways this guy said that if we want to stay we have to pay or get out and that the guy who book the room was new and it was a mistake and he has been working only for 3 day now so i said that its not our fault that you worker mess up and he hung the phone up on us,so after that we just went on our trip to traverse city on our way there my phone rang and to my surprise it was the sheriff saying that they was call by the hotel that we didn't want to pay and if we don't we would get arrested.My daughter even tried to use the pool and it was so dirty told the lady at the desk and the did nothing that same day we check out and whet to the Holiday Express to stay for the rest of our time.So people be careful of this place its not what it seem to be as well as the people that work the desk and the Man who claims to be the Manager he needs more training and a whole lot of it.So remember THINK TWICE when you go to spend your hard earn cash at this place trust me its not worth it to loose your money.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anthony C
Reviewed 9 May 2012

So my friends and I took a trip to Petoskey from Steamboat Springs Colorado. We drove for 19 hours, tired as heck we stop at the first hotel in town, just to sleep for the night then we would find a better hotel for our 5 days there. We walk in and ask how much for a double bed as it was 3 of us, for the night (3am). The guys at the desk said $44 per night plus tax, we said how much for 5 days since my friend had send me a friends&family discount link, he said $169 we were like sweet we will just stay from Thursday-Tuesday. BIG MISTAKE, Sunday morning the lady at the front desk called and said '' you guys was to check out 45mins ago'' we were like am sorry you got the wrong room were paid until Tuesday, she was so rude she hang up the phone on us, refuse to listen to us, she said the guy who check us in was new and was just working for 3 days now, that's not our fault! I ask to speak to the manager she said hes not the and will not be there until Monday we are that's fine we'll talk to him in the morning and clear this up. Five minutes later the manager called our room from the front desk he said" listen you guys need to pay for the next two days if you want to stay" no hello i am so and so and i here there's a problem. We felt so disrespected by his behavior for a GM as he said and just decided to go about our day as we had plans that we were already late for. On our way to Traverse City we got a call from the Sheriffs department saying that we refuse to pay for the next two nights and if we don't pay we are going to jail. I have never been treated like a criminal in my life, i am a Manager for a hotel in Steamboat i would never even think of treating my guest's like that my boss would have my head. If you want a good stay in Petoskey please please don't stay here, you will regret it. Stay at the Holiday Express, that's were we went for the remanding nights we were there. WORST PLACE TO STAY. Don't say you have not warned you might end up in jail even thou you paid.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. They say none smoking but the staff and guest smoke i saw then and if you say s...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2012

What a dump! I've stayed at this Econo Lodge before and was impressed with it. For a “budget” motel, it was nice. A few years ago, it got new management. They started letting guests bring dogs in. And now this motel is more like a trash heap. The whole place smells, I mean it really stinks, even the lobby. The rooms were dirty; the bathrooms were “lightly” cleaned. Meaning; there was a lot of dirt left behind. The bedspread was disgusting and smelled like a dirty dog. The furniture looked as if it had been through a land slide. And forget the pool, I wouldn't get into it. Too many questionable things floating on the surface. And the worst part was the people next door to me whose dog wouldn't quit barking. Calls down to the front desk did nothing. I don't think they even talked to the people about it. Until this Econo Lodge gets new management, and changes their pet policy, stay away from it!

Room Tip: Don't stay here, too many barking dogs, you will never get a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave D
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Never again.

First… this was a trip with three girls in their upper twenties (no partying going on) where we wanted a nice trip to reconnect and do a little skiing. We were supposed to arrive on a Friday and on Thursday one of the girls (who went to the doctor on Wednesday due to being in so much pain that she was crying) found out she had a broken rib caused by some kind of unknown growth under the ribs… she was told she could not ski on Thursday. She immediately called the hotel to see if we could cancel the trip but it was after their cancellation time (by a couple of hours), so understanding that this is a business, the idea was to see if we could move our trip to different dates. The manager was rude and unsympathetic to the circumstances (despite the proof of documentation that could be provided) and refused to allow either the cancellation OR the change of dates.

After realizing we would be out our money, my friends (including the one with the broken rib and going through the phycological worry about the unknown growth in her body) and I decided we would still go to the hotel to reconnect and ski (while the one with the broken rib stayed at the hotel on pain medicine working on homework for her Masters Degree). Under normal circumstances if the manager had allowed us to move the dates, we all would have enjoyed our trip to the fullest.

Next… Beds made my back and neck hurt for at least one week after spending a weekend here. If this wasn't enough, while there the staff was rude, unhelpful and acted like we were an inconvenience and criminals. We are all highly educated, reasonable individuals that can see both sides to circumstances, but unfortunately the staff (with the exception of one male midnight staff) were not as fortunate.

When we explained that we needed more towels for the room because we had left our do not disturb sign on the door (again… our friend was working on homework), the front desk women actually made huffing and puffing noises (of discontent and annoyance) as she went to get 2 towels. When we explained that we needed 2 towels for the hot tub area and then three for when we showered (one for each of us), I thought she was going to start yelling. She made notes of every towel she handed us so as to 'let the house keeping know' about them… not sure if her intentions were to come across like we were trying to steal their towels, but no offense to the hotel, but your towels are not worthy of taking home… sorry to disappoint.

Then when it came time get the discount coupons (which the male midnight staff had told us about) for the buffet at the casino nearby, the same lady acted like we were interrupting her even though the lobby was empty and the phone was not ringing. Again, making the customer want to run out the door.

I can appreciate the fact that some people don't like their jobs and/or they have bad days, but from the instant we had any sort of connection with the staff it had been downhill.

We were their less than 2 days and these events are only the tip of the iceberg and not even the worst parts of it.

Stay far away from this place if you are mature and reasonable people with a heart… because 99% of them are not the same as you.

The room itself was dated (which would have been fine if the beds were remotely comfortable), pealing patches of wallpaper that were put on to repair other pealing wallpaper. Towels were useable; water pressure was fine; no major issues with the cleanliness of the room; didn't see any bedbugs either.

Still won't go back though… even if it was the last place left on earth… the service and beds would be enough for me to want to sleep on the streets.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Stayed here for the 4th time over 6 years while working in petoskey. It used to be a nice place for the money now, This place is worse than a "no tell motel" that you pay by the hour.

• Stayed: December 2011