Comfort Inn
US$165
Agoda.com
  • Pool
US$54
Bay Pointe Inn & Restaurant(Shelbyville)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$58
Red Roof
US$72
Hotels.com
All reviewsno elevatorgreat hotelstayed herespacious roomup to dateoff the highwaywould stay againice machinewatch tvgrand rapidsfront desk staffyogurtconvenient locationpool and hot tubchoice hotelslobbykalamazoo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2012

You never know with Comfort Inn - the quality ranges from poor to OK. This Comfort Inn is exceptional in every way. Helpful and courteous front desk staff, spacious and clean room (I had a king) and wonderfully comfortable mattress with a selection of pillows from firm to soft. The bathroom was beautiful - as good as I've ever seen , including in fancy hotels. I really liked their idea of plugging in the hair dryer on the wall behind the shelf where it was stored next to the sink. It was out of the way, yet totally accessible. Makes you wonder why someone didn't think of this idea a long time ago. It's immediately off 131. If you're in the area, it's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: There are two floors and no elevator, so if you don't want to haul luggage up one flight, ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed at this motel in order to attend the funeral of the patriarch of my husband's family. We stayed solely because it is the only motel in the area.

Arrangements had been made to get a special 'bereavement' rate for the family members staying there. But apparently, not for us.

When I made the reservations by phone, (three weeks before the funeral), I asked for the discount. I was informed in a rather haughty tone of voice that that was not possible. Nope. No way. I told her my sister in law had arranged with them for a bereavement rate. We don't do that, I was told. No.

When we checked in, the person (most likely the same woman who'd taken my phone reservation and credit card number) could not find the reservation. Her boss finally found it. We asked again about the discount.

Again, we hit a sullen wall of resistance. No, we don't have bereavement rates, no discounts, NO.

At the funeral, we learned that other family members had received a very significant discount, of about $40.But not us.

Then, of course, since we'd been traveling a couple days, I asked about a guest laundry. NO again. You want a laundry, you can carry your travel wearied tail into town, such as it is, and use the coin operated laundry. I suppose that's where the staff does the motel laundry?

When I was presented with the paperwork to sign for the room, I was made aware of the fact that there were 'special amenities' in the room, and if they were 'used' my credit card would be charged. "Special Amenities"?? I thought, oh, I get it, there must be a wine bottle or a basket of goodies in the refrigerator. I never eat or drink that stuff anyway, so I signed.

When I got to the room, I did find a basket of 'goodies'..if you consider a smoked sausage, some plastic cheese, a cookie of indeterminate age, and two bottles of water 'goodies'. We didn't touch them. But I was curious, so I looked in the motel book and discovered what a 'special amenity' is.
It's linens. To this motel's management, sheets, towels, and pillows are "SPECIAL Amenities" and if took one, I would be charged. A lot.

I am not a thief, never have been. I cannot understand why some people steal things from a motel. I just don't get it, but I know they do.

In this case, the management was making it very plain that they didn't appreciate their stuff being stolen, and they have that right to charge your card for it.

But they didn't elucidate what special amenities meant.

In other words, the motel management assumes I'm going to steal and is just warning me that they had my credit card and would punish me for a crime I had yet to commit.
That's called 'guilty before proven innocent", and that's not how the American legal system works.
Being made to sign for sheets, towels, wash cloths, bath mat, coffee maker..things that are EXPECTED to be in a motel room...oh, that makes me feel as they view me as a thief. What if I'd refused to sign? They had already charged my credit card. Would they have refunded my money? Well, maybe, less a huge charge, I suppose, for cancelling the reservation. Would they have gone to the room and stripped the bed of linens, taken all the towels out, made sure the room was empty of Special Amenities?

Our room was nice, clean as a whistle, and the bed comfortable, but that did not make us feel any better about being screwed-or threatened.

Nor was the room worth $118. But being that it is the only game in town, they can treat you and charge you what they want.

I won't be back. It's worth it to me to drive to Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo and stay in a motel where they appreciate my business.

Room Tip: Stay in a motel other than this one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank SeattleMeadowlark
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The only reason we chose this hotel is because there are no others in the area and we were exhausted. I will NEVER stay here again. The front desk clerk could not have been more rude to us. She quoted us a rate of $109/night. I said I have AAA is there a discount to which she replied, 'Of course you want a discount. If you had made a reservation, you would have received a better rate.' I travel with my job 47 weeks a year. That's a lot of hotels. We usually stay in Wyndham Hotels but had to make an exception this time. Never again!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Donna D
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This hotel is decent, but I thought a little overpriced. We paid $89/night and I think $69/night would be a better fit for what it is. The rooms were clean, the staff was nice. There is no elevator, so we had to carry our bags up two flights of stairs. The walls are thin - we could hear the guy in the next room snoring, and the guy in the other room next to us talking on the phone. You can also hear everyone walking up and down the hall. The room we had faced the parking lot, so we could hear cars coming and going and traffic on the street. Breakfast had a good selection, but only serves until 9am. We like to sleep in, so we missed breakfast half the time we stayed here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynne P
Reviewed 10 March 2012

They have updated this since i was there 3 yrs or so ago. Great pool indoors kids loved it. Very quite there. would go there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family