“Staff was excellent, building and rooms immaculate”

Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pontiac
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed here for a wedding and received a discounted rate for using the "wedding block". The staff was amazing. The front desk staff actually helped me give directions to my fiance who was on his way and lost. The woman behind the front desk even got on my cell phone for me to tell him where to go. The rooms were immaculate, and very modern. Flat screen televisions, very comfortable bedding, a LOT of towels provided. Over all excellent stay and if we are ever in the area again we will certainly be staying there.

Also-
Lobby bar stayed open late for us after the wedding party returned from the reception so we could continue the festivities. Very nice of them.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 June 2011

I really enjoyed this hotel. The front desk staff was excellent and very well trained. I also thought the food was outstanding and delivered in a very timely manor. I will definitely be spending some more time and money at this property. Also on a side note there beds were very enjoyable to sleep in!

Cannot say enough good about this place!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Very bad housekeeping service.
First day. Housekeeping did not clean trash in anyplace in the room.
Second day. I did place the do not disturb sign inside room, and was out side the room when we came back. No housekeeping service. Asked for towels at front desk and they did not send any. Had to search for housekeeping in other floor to get towels.
Third day. Went out and left do not disturb sign inside the room, we left and came back. No housekeeping service at all. asked again for towels at front desk and they did send.
On the morning we began to get dress for checking out and there was a centipede on our "clean towels" I need a reimbursement of at least 2 days...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The hotel is newly updated, nicely decorated, clean and quiet. The staff were all polite, gracious and helpful. The room service was fast; the food was delicious. Overall a great stay and I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I stayed here on business for most of the week of May 9. This stay further illustrates why I now seek lodging via Intercontinental or Starwood hotels if a Renaissance or JW Marriott is not available in the area.

Upon arrival, bathroom floor was dirty with long hair, maid service couldn't clean/fix the situation until the next morning. I asked the maid in the hallway for a in room fridge the first morning (a fridge request is already noted in my reservation on my Marriott rewards profile), she said she could take care of that (there happen to be a fridge sitting right outside my room that morning). When I returned to the hotel that evening, I didn't have a fridge nor was there any follow-up message provided by your staff.

On Wed 5/11 in the morning, I called At Your Service to get a care package because I needed a small supply of toothpaste; I was assured housekeeping would bring me some. After calling a second time and waiting over 30 minutes, I had to go to the Front Desk myself to get the toothpaste. On Thurs 5/12, I contacted the Front Desk/At your service three times to get a room service menu for dinner; there was no menu in the room. Each time, Kevin noted he'd "called over" to request one, the third time, Kevin noted he would personally bring me a menu... I never received a menu. After more than 1 hour passed, I gave up on trying to order room service. During check out via the TV in my room, the program froze so I had to check out at the front desk with the assistance of an agent who was clearly having a bad morning.

The only positive experience at this hotel was the smooth, pleasant experience at check-in. Every other request of mine went unanswered and was not followed up on.

This hotel is clearly not to Marriott hotel standards in terms of quality service. This hotel is further proof as to why I now seek lodging at an Intercontinental Hotel or Starwood Hotel rather than Marriotts now. About 4 years ago, I was a Marriott rewards platinum member. Back then, Marriott was truly a leader in lodging, now times have clearly changed. This stay further illustrated Marriott's now second or third tier quality.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2011

This was one of those "check in late, check out early" one-night business stays, so I did not have a chance to experience many of the hotel's amenities other than having one late night drink with two of my colleagues in the bar before hitting the sack. So I cannot comment on fitness center, pool, etc.

Positives:
* The bed in my room was fantastic, enabling a sound and comfortable sleep, and that's really what I'm looking for in a "check in at 10 PM, check out at 7 AM and go to a meeting" type of stay.
* Good in-room climate control; not noisy.
* The lobby and adjacent bar exuded a calm, sophisticated atmosphere conducive to conversation and doing a little meeting preparation with colleagues.
* Friendly staff.

Negatives:
* Some of the common area decor, including carpeting, seemed a little bit dowdy and dated. It was all clean and such, it just seemed a little old-fashioned and more befitting an older urban hotel as opposed to a modern suburban one.
* The remote control for my TV did not work; ordinarily I would have called the desk to see if they could do something about it, but I did not have much time for casual channel surfing anyway, so I tuned it to CNN and let it go. Incidentally, it was an old boxy TV; I expect that in 2011, mid-level and above hotels should have switched in flat screen TVs.
* The desk/ work area was a litle bit smaller than I would prefer (see picture).
* It's not the most exciting location in the world, but that's not why you are making a trip to Pontiac, MI.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2011

My final night was nice thanks to this hotel. The staff was a little robotic, but were very helpful. The restaurant on property serves some fantastic food. The room was actually cleaner at the economy hotel I stayed the night prior, but there was nothing too bad about it. The location was good for my sales team and the lobby is one of the finest I have seen with plenty of seating for us to get some work done. My bill was accurate and the morning staff was very pleasant for 7am. Overall a very good stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontiac
Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
#11 of 17 in Troy
Hyatt Place Auburn Hills
Hyatt Place Auburn Hills
#5 of 18 in Auburn Hills

Been to Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac? Share your experiences!