“3rd time - better”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ploiesti, Romania
“3rd time - better”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stayed only 2 nights this time.

Liked:
- free Internet (company arrangement I guess). Wi-Fi this time! Awesome!!!
- new TV (LCD/LED now).

Minor drawbacks:
- no more complementary water in the room (I tend to get thirsty when I travel to the US/MI probably the climate?)
- no more newspaper (really, not a big deal).
- sometimes the waiters are overwhelmed - one morning the breakfast area was full of noisy Europeans (I heard some Italian and German being spoken) and ... bottom line is: I didn't get any coffee that morning.

Not liked or disliked:
- the ATM is no longer located in a special area. They've placed it inside the souvenirs shop.

Conclusion: this hotel continues to be my first choice when traveling to the Detroit area.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Xerxes77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

The rooms were wonderful. More than fantastic. I traveled to Michigan for the first time and my company scheduled this hotel. The travel to corporate was via the motel and spot on. Very professional! My only complaint is the 60 dollar hold on my cc that is still on my account 4 days later. Otherwise, great!!

• Stayed November 2012
michigan
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I spent one night here this week for business and I was impressed by how nice this hotel is and sorry I had never stayed here before when working in the area. This is a full service hotel and my room on the 9th floor was very nice. I have Gold status with Marriott rewards and was given access to the Concierge lounge on the 11th floor which is an added perk that Marriott extends to their Gold and Platinum guests. The lounge had complimentary snacks, appetizers, and soft drinks and water. The decor and cleanliness at this hotel is great and I will definitely stay here again.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed at the Marriott Centerpoint twice in the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, during my most recent reservation, October 30th to the 31st, I had a few issues.

The check-in process was perfunctory, but fine. The room, while a little close to both the elevators and vending/ice machine area, was also comfortable and well appointed. I like the well lighted work area. I like the comfortable bed. I even like the orange and ginger shampoo. I like being able to get to my hotel room, drop my bags, take off my shoes, and just relax. So, up to this point - everything is fine. Then I ordered room service, and that is when the stay started to take a turn for the worse.

My previous visit, I had already eaten prior to arriving, so I only had breakfast the following morning - and it was very good. So during my most recent visit, I decided to have room service for dinner. This turned out to be a mistake. Ordered the fish tacos and the bacon-cheeseburger with no tomato, no pickle. They repeated the order back to me correctly including the exclusion of tomato and pickle.

The order arrives, this is what I received.

Fish Tacos: The tilapia was drenched in an overly vinegary-sour salsa that made it impossible to first pick-up without having the filling drip out, and had so thoroughly soaked through the flour tortilla that it was disintegrating in my hands. My only recourse was to scrape off the 'salsa', and cut off the sodden portions of the tortilla. Eating the tilapia with just a few bites of tortilla.

Bacon-cheeseburger: No bacon. Called down to room service, and they brought a plate of hot bacon to my room in about five minutes. This is an important point, the plate / bacon was so hot that it almost burnt my hand, while the cheeseburger it was to go on was nowhere as piping hot when I received it. Nope, just a room temperature patty covered with congealed cheese and single wilted leaf of what could only be lettuce - because it was green. The fries on the other hand were hot, so it appears that the hamburger had to wait for the side prior to being plated. Of course, the fries were piled on top of the gigantic pickle slice, that I had specifically asked not to be put on the plate, so that a third of the fries were covered in pickle juice.

The only silver lining to this situation was that I almost ordered a steak. If room service can't handle a bacon-cheeseburger, I don't know how they would have managed a steak. But, let's move onto breakfast. For breakfast, I ordered oatmeal with cranberries and brown sugar - milk on the side. Also, the 'American' with orange juice, scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, wheat toast, and coffee - milk on the side.

The order arrives, this is what I received.

Oatmeal: No milk. Called down to room service, and they brought a container of milk in less than two minutes. (So apparently, it is not a long trip from kitchen to rooms) Small problem, the bowl holding the oatmeal was so small/full that I could not add any milk to the oatmeal. This is another very basic plating issue, and just shows a less than conscientious kitchen technique.

American: No milk. I took care of this with the oatmeal, but still an issue. Now, the entire reason that I had order room service on this occasion was that I had a wonderful breakfast previously. I have had wonderful fluffy scrambled eggs, hot hash browns, and topped off by a good cup of coffee. No this time though. What did I find? A mound of rubbery room temperature eggs and hash browns...and burnt coffee. It was as if they had dished up the plate from a breakfast buffet that had been sitting in a chafing dish for the last two hours. Not that anything really tastes that great after you have had a swallow of burnt coffee. Less than appetizing. And while, it is a small point, no jelly on the tray either. I suppose I could have called down to room service, for third time, but - instead, I just ate my toast dry.

Not only was it a waste of money and a disappointment, but I felt like an idiot because I had said what a great breakfast I had previously.

There is one other separate issue, not exactly under the hotels control, but since it affected my stay ... I am writing about it. Someone knocked on my door at 3:05 AM. I know that it was 3:05 because 20 minutes earlier, at least two (I am guessing intoxicated) guest had passed my door and then closed their door loudly further down hallway on my side of the elevators. I heard the elevator rise and fall, people walking to their rooms, the ice machine cycling and dropping ice, and other doors open and close. Nothing unusual, but loud enough that I could not fall back to sleep. So, checking my cell phone, I guessed (I think correctly) that several people were returning from either parties or bars. Those days for me are long past, but unless they get out of hand, I don't begrudge others their fun. I was going through some emails, waiting for the rest of the floor to settle down, when I heard the knock and noted the time. Now, I suppose someone could have mistakenly gone to the wrong room ...it's possible. When I hear them knock on a doo further down, that is what I concluded had happened - right up until I heard the returning quick running steps going back passed my door and stifled giggles of several 'women' just beyond my room that it seem pretty clear that juvenile behavior was at work. I did not go into the hallway to check, but from the ruckus that started shortly after on the other end of the floor, apparently a few people were not ready to leave the party and head to bed. It was 45 minutes or more before the floor was quiet enough for me to go to sleep. Good thing I was there to relax and didn't have to go to work the following morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator / ice machine
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Upon arriving to this hotel on Friday everything went smoothly, check in was quick, the room was nice, a great overall impression. First night great sleep, quiet night. The restaurant was good, reasonably priced, friendly waitstaff. Saturday night, if i could have packed my stuff up and left i would have. Apparently there was a Halloween party going on downstairs and from 10:30pm to 3am there was drunk people yelling, screaming cursing, running up and down the halls, and slamming doors. The police were there and there were security. I called down to the front desk to complain at 2am to be told that they are going to every floor and controlling the people, she did apologize but like that does anything when the whole purpose of your trip was a nice quiet weekend getaway to recharge. My suggestion, don't hold these events if you can't control the people that are attending. So would i stay here again, yes but would check to make sure there were no parties scheduled that night.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We traveled to the Auburn Hills area for a political event. We chose to stay at the Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac at Centerpoint because of the excellent value and perfect location.

Service at the Auburn Hills Marriott is very good. We found the front desk staff to be very polite along with the room service staff. During our two night stay the same gentleman took and delivered our room service order three times. He was very kind and attentive. He almost acted like a personal butler.

Excellent value! We made our reservation through a third party that offered an excellent rate that included breakfast for two.

The sleep quality was fantastic. We were beyond impressed by the quality of the mattress and linens. The quality resembled a five star hotel.

The room and the entire hotel was exceptionally clean. Our room was spotless and free of wear.

Our room was tastefully decorated and spacious. On the 8th floor however we were surprised that you could hear a freight train through the windows. This was far from being bothersome (the train only went by twice), but we would think there would be more soundproofing. However, we couldn't hear any neighbors in the hotel.

Breakfast was the disappointment of the stay. We went for breakfast at roughly 8 o'clock and we found most of the food to be cold and bland. I ended up eating some cereal. There was a snafu that was promptly resolved by the buffet staff. They indicated that there was only breakfast for one. They corrected this error with the front desk without my further involvement.

I highly recommend this hotel if the location makes sense for your stay.

Room Tip: Request a high floor
Ohio
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Stayed first night at Courtyard across the street and should have stayed there again. Was given a room on the 11th floor (concierce level) and there were teens running the halls until 11:00 at night. Room was OK but not but not near as nice at the Troy Marriott where I also stayed. Do yourself a favor and stay either across the street at the Courtyard or at the Troy Marriott.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontiac
Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
#5 of 17 in Auburn Hills
The Townsend Hotel
The Townsend Hotel
#1 of 2 in Birmingham

Been to Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac? Share your experiences!