“I prefer other local hotels but this one is ok”

Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pontiac
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This place is very nice and very well maintained. I found the staff to be less than courteous and a little bit stuffy at the front desk. The hotel rooms are nice, the restaurant a bit over priced. I didn't like that they didn't have free wi-fi in the rooms - we had to go to the hotel lobby. I did like the proximity to shopping (Great Lakes Crossing, Somerset Mall, Utica) and our favourite restaurant Mi Zarape. :)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shannon M
There are newer reviews for Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac

Reviewed 22 January 2013

This is a nice hotel well located for Chrysler executives. The price is highly competitive. I think the rooms have been renovated not long time ago. The beds are comfortable and cozy. The breakfast buffet was disappointing and I do not recommend it. The bar service was lovely in the evening. The bartenders are fun. The Mexican restaurant just across the street is nice and clean but the food is average. The same applies to the Italian restaurant a little further. The food in this area is really disappointing.

I highly recommend this hotel for its cleaness, comfort, bar, location and service at the reception.

Room Tip: Rooms on 10th floor were renovated
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank rew345
Reviewed 11 January 2013

This is one of the nicest Marriott hotels I have experienced; the property was fresh, spacious, well decorated and inviting. Very pleased with the fitness center and pool but the real stand out was the staff. They were friendly and helpful everywhere from check-in to Marie in the Concierge Lounge.

Room Tip: Concierge level worth the extra . . . .
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank travelfamily022
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I have stayed in this hotel approximately 12 times for mostly a weekend at a time.

The hotel common areas and the rooms are well appointed and for the most part appropriately clean. At least a few times, my room was not cleaned by Housekeeping (as a disclaimer, some of it was my fault, as I did have the 'do not disturb' sign out until 11 or so).

As many have complained before me, on the weekends, it can be quite loud. The lobby area tends to be a gathering area for people and there are a lot of families around, especially kids. I did hear kids in the hallway, during a few of my stays. I also wanted to use the pool a few times, but the number of kids there, discouraged me.

A railroad track is right behind the hotel, but it sounds more distant than one would expect. Although I would still try to get a room facing the front if possible.

I did not utilize room service or restaurant, so cannot comment. Bar was fine.

Overall, I would recommend if you are looking for a hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front side of the hotel to avoid the train.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tim S
MarriottAuburhills, General Manager at Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Our indoor and our outdoor pool is very popular with all of our guests particulalry when the outdoor pool and sun deck is open May-Oct. The train track you reference is an abandoned line and the current line is 1 mile away, thus the lack of noise.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

This is a beautiful Marriott. The common rooms are gorgeous - just a beautiful place for a dinner or rendezvous. The bar is warm and inviting, and there are small intimate rooms for more private conversations. The hotel room was clean and spacious - just what one would expect from a Marriott. I did not use the pool or fitness rooms so I can't comment there. It is within walking distance of two very nice family style restaurants.
My issue? Crowd control. I noticed this concern on a few of the other reviews as well. Perhaps because this IS such a nice to place to meet with friends or stage an event, one gets some rather rowdy drunks. They were partying until all hours on my floor, and when I finally called security I was assured that the problem was being handled, and it was. But many of these same drunks were in the bar earlier. They were so loud we could not really hold a conversation. Now I'm all for a good time, and I suppose one can't regulate manners, but the management shouldn't be afraid to tone done the boors - and there were plenty.

Room Tip: High Floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fallbrook
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stayed only 2 nights this time.

Liked:
- free Internet (company arrangement I guess). Wi-Fi this time! Awesome!!!
- new TV (LCD/LED now).

Minor drawbacks:
- no more complementary water in the room (I tend to get thirsty when I travel to the US/MI probably the climate?)
- no more newspaper (really, not a big deal).
- sometimes the waiters are overwhelmed - one morning the breakfast area was full of noisy Europeans (I heard some Italian and German being spoken) and ... bottom line is: I didn't get any coffee that morning.

Not liked or disliked:
- the ATM is no longer located in a special area. They've placed it inside the souvenirs shop.

Conclusion: this hotel continues to be my first choice when traveling to the Detroit area.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Xerxes77
Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

The rooms were wonderful. More than fantastic. I traveled to Michigan for the first time and my company scheduled this hotel. The travel to corporate was via the motel and spot on. Very professional! My only complaint is the 60 dollar hold on my cc that is still on my account 4 days later. Otherwise, great!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontiac
Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
#5 of 17 in Auburn Hills
Quality Inn Auburn Hills
Quality Inn Auburn Hills
#3 of 17 in Auburn Hills

Been to Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac? Share your experiences!