“There are better options in Port Huron”
Review of Comfort Inn

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Port Huron
Ontario
“There are better options in Port Huron”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I'm in the Port Huron area at least 3 times a year and have stayed at every other hotel. The reason for never staying at this hotel was because the rate was always a lot higher than the others, but we thought we would treat ourselves this time...this was no treat! I'm not sure why the rates at this hotel are more than any other, most if the other hotels in Port Huron are in better condition. The day we stayed at this hotel it was very warm out so we were eager to use the pool, the pool area seems run down to me and smelt very "musty".

Any staff we ran into during our stay were very friendly, customer service was not an issue here, just the building itself.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
dmstokan, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review! Our guest feedback is always extremely helpful and provides us information on what we need to work on. We are actually in the middle of renovations with our pool and hot tub, especially after such a rough winter. We had a pipe burst from the cold weather and it has made our pool room have a faint odor. We completely understand the frustration, and we are in the middle of fixing it. Although, the rest of the hotel has already gone so many wonderful renovations. We continue to provide a hot breakfast, fitness area, free WI-FI, HD-flatscreen televisions with Direct tv, new mattresses and furniture in all our guest rooms, great location in Port Huron, and friendly service. Please reconsider staying with us, so we can provide a much more pleasant stay. Have a wonderful day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had booked this hotel using Choice Rewards points so that we had 2 nights for a free stay. Upon arriving at the hotel, I waited for the person ahead of me to check in and I notice when the front desk gave the breakfast times that they were completely different from the signs posted and he didn't seem sure himself when giving them. When I approached the desk, he said the pool is down the hall and said you aren't the ones who just called the to use the pool? No I am here for a reservation. He proceeded to check us in ... I noticed our room on the 1st floor and we had requested a 2nd floor room .... he says on the reservation that we didn't want a 2nd floor room. We got our 2nd floor room and I checked afterwards the request was correct. The room was adequate for our needs. The shower did not work properly as just as much water came out the tap as the showerhead. We did use it, but it wasn't the easiest and they were quick showers. Our 1st night using the pool, very limited towels were left, only 3 on the shelf, but on the second night no towels were available and a large crowd was in the pool playing beach volleyball for the entire evening, needless to say we were very disappointed not be able to swim. Breakfast was typical fair, not bad to start the day, never saw anyone restocking any of the supplies while we were at the breakfast area. We stay in the area 3 to 4 times a year and we won't be making this choice again soon. Disappointed that we wasted Choice Points on this hotel.
P.S. The hotel uses Direct TV for their TV's and now doesn't have the Weather Channel - alternative station is no good giving a local forecast.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd Floor towards the parking lot are the best and away from the Interstate.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Trailerman68
dmstokan, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Trailerman68,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Port Huron hotels

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 weeks. Hotel staff was very nice and accommodated to my needs. Their breakfast was good. Donna the front desk is the nicest and best person the hotel has. She goes out if her way to make things happen. I rate this hotel 5 stars

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
dmstokan, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Mike C,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Kind Regards,

Keswick, ON
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights with two friends. We got a cot which worked great for us. Breakfast was perfect, good fresh selection. Coffee and tea available 24 hours a day. The hot tub and pool was open until midnight, which was great! The hot tub was a bit too hot for me but my friends liked it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Kellyhb,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 8 February 2014

To start with, there are no elevators. We were on the second floor with a lot of luggage and the other person had a foot injury. Not ideal. I would have liked to have been told about the lack of elevators ahead of time. But, we were exhausted from a long drive so we just went ahead. Looking around, the hotel is out of date and clearly needs work. Entering the room, we could see that it had been spruced up. The bed was very comfortable. In fact, the bed was the best part of the whole stay. Then we prepared to shower and get ready for bed. And that's where it went wrong. Vomit in the bathroom and hair in the shower. The hotel offered to move us but we were so tired and had all that luggage to carry up and down stairs and with an injured person. So, I was left to clean the bathroom myself if we wanted to shower. So I cleaned it up. The next day, I went to checkout with the intention of letting them know about the issue. There was only one person working and the hotel had made a mistake in charging another guest's credit card, so I waited nearly 20 minutes for them to straighten that out before anyone could wait on me. I would have normally just gone to breakfast and waited but we had an event to attend. I only had a hard boiled egg. They didn't have much. But, the egg was okay. So at the end of the day, they offered me a 15% discount. Anyone can make a mistake but this was a big one. I am hoping it was a one time error. Personally I won't stay again because of the lack elevators and we don't travel lightly and we have an athlete who competes and can't take a chance tripping on some stairs. Besides, I don't like walking through the smokers right outside the entrance in order to get to my room. But, that's just my opinion.

Room Tip: 1st Floor!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
dmstokan, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor review. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. Upon arrival, at our guest request, we could have put you on first floor. That way the staircase wouldn't have been an issue with the foot injury of the individual that stayed with you. We also could have cleaned or switched your room when it was found dirty. The long checkout is also an issue, and we understand the frustration. We are always using feedback, like this Tripadvisor review, to continue to improve our hotel and staff.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. Have a wonderful day.

gm.mi131@choicehotels.com
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Great rates and great breakfast bar. Sausage gravy was very good. Sausage links were fully cooked and NOT swimming in grease as is typical of comfort and quality inns.
Room was clean and in good repair. I have stayed at the Hampton and the Best Western nearby, but I will be staying here exclusively on my future business trips to the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
dmstokan, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Rick G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. Check us out on facebook for more upcoming hotel renovations and events in Port Huron, MI. Have a great day! We hope to see you again soon!

michigan
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We used one of our "free" nights because it was about to expire and we had a Christmas party near by.
Very large king room with jacuzzi tub was great. The shower is a little small and water warm not hot which was strange since the tub the night before was very hot. Room was clean. Pool and hot tub in public area small but adequate...hot morning breakfast was as expected. Our room was on the end, first floor and smokers gathered outside the doors... the facility is thankfully smoke free, however when our fan/heater cycled on there was a faint smoke odor that I am sure would be terrible in the summer and you could not open a window. So be careful which room you get if you are smoke sensitive.

The best part was their phone call to let us know we had left a suitcase....everything was in the bag when we drove back to retrieve it. Can't believe we did not check the room more closely...first and last time I hope! Front desk staff friendly and efficient!

The hotel is very easy on/off at the Water street exit just before the bridge to Canada.

Room Tip: watch out for the smokers who congregate at the exit doors!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
dmstokan, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear DeeMichigan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay at our property. Very pleased to hear you were happy with your stay with the exception of the smokers gathered outside the entry way and near some guest windows/heat-cooling units. That is something that has not been brought to my attention and it concerns me. I will be taking immediate action on this issue and will make some needed changes so that we can accommodate all our guests. I am very thankful for guests such as yourself to bring such matters to our attention. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and know this won't be an issue upon your return visit. Enjoy your holidays.

With Warmest Regards,