“Great hotel. Very new with plenty of amenities.”

Courtyard Kalamazoo Portage
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Portage
Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
“Great hotel. Very new with plenty of amenities.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here recently for business and was pleasantly surprised by how new and modern the hotel was. The rooms were well appointed and the heating and cooling was very responsive. I was able to use the fitness center which was small but acceptable for my needs. There was also a pool and jacuzzi which I didn't use but looked nice. I had dinner and breakfast at the hotel which were quite tasty and the staff was very friendly. Overall this was a great hotel and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Being a brand new hotel, it was everything you would expect. Clean, fresh and comfortable. The staff was great and we had none of the service issues that anyone else spoke of. The location is nice right off the highway with a few restaurants within walking distance if there wasn't a foot of snow on the ground. Right between Portage and Kalamazoo and close enough to 131 for travelers on that road. Will stay again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

BEWARE!!! Our experience...
Stay 2-14/16-14. Checked in to a "king size suite" that was " the same as all of them". Well, for more money in room 214, you get to pay more for a standard room with a super long hallway ( woohoo). Then we had a whistling vent at 10:30. Very helpful front desk Brandi called the GM (apparently he had to get out of bed to come in which he did) then the whistling stopped. I calledBrandi back to tell her noise had suddenly stopped. She said the GM made it in quickly and he stopped the noise. Great! Finally sleep for my ten year old. No visit from the GM to APOLOGIZE for the inconvenience. Ok. Early AM across the hall neighbors had a wacky alarm going off. Heard many apologies by staff that they were trying. Eventually that stopped 7:39am. Complimentary breakfast (we had an 11 o'clock lesson at Bittersweet...)Went down to eat at 9, staff advised severely under staffed for hotel capacity. Still no food at 10. I ordered a BLT breakfast sandwich and my daughter French toast. She received her food, ate it and 50 minutes later I still had no BLT. When I finally got it I was advised there were no tomatoes in the hotel and I was given frozen avocados instead. Lots of staff apologies. REALLY! Well GM. What would you rate a hotel if you had that experience? Lots of apologies( not from you) but a haphazard staff doing their best. Then the kicker. I bring a plastic cup of beer into the pool area later that day and I get told by Amanda that drinks aren't allowed in pool area cuz it could spill and cause a slipping hazard. News flash! The entire (very small) pool area is already soaking wet. This is what you choose to enforce. yikes! NEVER AGAIN WHEN WE COME TO THIS AREA WILL WE STAY HERE!! And we come this way a lot. Way to go GM what's you're encore? If you don't respond. It won't surprise me. You didn't show yourself thru much struggling of your staff anyway. Management should probably be reconsidered. The one star is for being new.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
TMIHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Kalamazoo Portage, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Mom2SJJ,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear about your negative experience at my hotel. I'm also sorry for not checking in on you on Friday night, as it was already late and I did not want to disturb you more than you already had been. We want all of our guests to have an exceptional stay, and from the sounds of it we truly let you down. I would really appreciate the chance to talk to you about your stay. I have provided my contact information and look forward to the chance of speaking with you. I hope that you might be able to offer us another chance to impress you on your next trip to the area.

Robert S.
269-382-5808
azocy@tmihospitality.com
Berrien Springs, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend with our three kids. (Friday and Saturday) I would not recommend this hotel. It is a new hotel, less than a year old, however the hot tub was not working. After repeated requests to the front desk to fix the hot tub, it finally began working at 10:30 Saturday night. Per the front desk, "someone forgot to turn the heat on." We also had to ask repeatedly for a cot, which we asked for upon check in, as well as an extra blanket for our son to sleep on the cot with. After three requests, my husband had to go to the front desk and get one himself. Another concern we had was we were told that a "continental" breakfast was included. However, that is not true. They have a bistro that you can buy breakfast at. With three teenagers to feed, this was a definite negative for us. The room was clean as well as the lobby. However, We experienced poor customer service in general. The hospitality industry is suppose to take the stress off its guests shoulders. Not add to it. I would not recommend this hotel if you expect a higher class of service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jaime W
TMIHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Kalamazoo Portage, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Jaime W,
Thank you for leaving us your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the less than satisfactory level of service you received from my staff involving the hot tub and roll away, this was unacceptable. I would also like to apologize for any miscommunication that occurred over breakfast. As a brand, Courtyard by Marriott does not offer complimentary breakfast, but we do have special packages that include a voucher for breakfast at our Bistro with your room rate. I am very sorry if you booked one of these packages and did not receive your vouchers. I appreciate you letting me know as I will be using your comments as a training tool for my staff to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Please allow us another opportunity to show you the level of service of which we are capable on your next trip to Kalamazoo.

Robert S.
westville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is a very nice hotel. I loved the big room. The decor and furnishings were perfect. The king size bed was very comfortable. The front desk clerk when we checked was very nice. The morning clerk when I called, not so much. Overall, nice quiet hotel near many restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014
St Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

It's always nice to stay in a new hotel - this one is clean, convenient, and comfortable. Marriott has rethought the concept for Courtyard properties to make them a bit more upscale. This hotel has an inviting public area with several computers, a bistro that serves food in the morning and evening, and a small marketplace to buy food. The room is uncluttered in a soothing blue-grey color scheme. The mini fridge is a nice bonus. The temperature control was excellent. I strongly recommend asking for an odd-numbered room on the north side of the hotel, which overlooks parkland - otherwise the rooms overlook busy I-94. I was very pleased with my four nights at the hotel over Christmas.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms facing north are very quiet.