“FAVORITE FAMILY VACATION LOCATION!”

Northwind Resort Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rapid City
Northwind Resort Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have been vacationing on Torch Lake since the mid 1980s. My family just loves it there and it is one of our absolute favorite vacation spots ! With that said, we have stayed at Northwind Resort for the past 20 years and have been there through several different owners and many updates. I have read all the reviews on this site and I am bothered by several that gave bad reviews and feel the need to defend this privately owned resort. There are a few things to remember when you stay here.
1) This is a privately owned and operated resort. The owners stay on site 90% of the time and many times have no where to lay their head except in their office. They have always been friendly and accommodating to me and my family.
2) I have searched around Torch Lake to compare pricing on other locations and have yet to find anywhere on the lake that is as affordable, has as many amenities, let alone is waterfront! These rooms SHOULD go for double of what's charged!!! However, the owners keep their prices significantly lower...for WATERFRONT rooms! What do I care if I have to take out my own trash?!
3) They have property rules, much like you would have at home. If you make a mess, clean up after yourself! Its like a community when you stay there. We have made lifelong friends of other families that stayed during the same week as my family. We try to make sure that we all have the best experience possible.
I love the fact that the rooms are efficiency style and that there are plenty of bbqs on the premises for cooking. We arrive on Saturdays and have no reason to leave the property for the whole week. We have all we need to make awesome family vacation memories year after year.
I have never had an issue with this resort, any of the owners or obviously the location. It is without doubt the best value on the lake. The owners clearly take pride in their investment and only ask that the guest that they allow to share in their "slice of heaven" do the same.
My family and I will continue to stay here and I will continue to spread the word about this Michigan Paradise !

Room Tip: My favorite is room 6 with small children or room 9 with big kids.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 12LisaK23

Reviewed 31 August 2013

My family has been renting from Northwind Resort for the last 20 years and we have worked with 4 different owners. The sisters that currently own Northwind have been the nicest and most welcoming. They are friendly, accommodating and make you feel like you are part of their family.

This is by far my family's family vacation spot. There is a beach area for younger kids to play and a swim platform for lounging. Most of the rooms have a fridge/stove/sink combination unit which makes it easy to make meals at the resort. This is a big plus for me and my family 7.

The owners make small updates each year. Over the years, I've seen them add internet, swim platform, ceiling fans, gas grills, fire pit, etc. all in response to customer input. They listen to what customers want and do their best to accommodate them.

The lake is beyond beautiful. This place is so close to the water that we can't help but be happy and in a good mood when we're there!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The resort is one of a kind on beautiful Torch Lake. We are boaters and you can dock right at the resort. All the amenities of home in most units, microwave, toaster, coffeepot, refridgerator, dishes ,nice picnic tables, grills and campfires. Nice to meet and interact with other families. Nothing like the stars above at night and water glistening from the sun in the day! The family run business is A+ very friendly owners. This was our third summer staying at Northwind Resort, always a great time and we will be back next year.

Room Tip: Book early, not to many units so availibility goes quick!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gerald P
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We just returned from our trip to Torch Lake. This was our 4th year in a row to stay at the Northwind Resort. WHAT A GREAT LOCATION! The owners have always been friendly and welcoming and we always meet nice people on the large deck overlooking the water. Excellent spot to watch the parade of boats as they head out to explore the lakes (Torch and Elk) or anchor at the nearby sandbar. Our room was clean and comfortable with 2 double beds, fridge and microwave.

Room Tip: love the waterfront views...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This was our first time staying at the resort. I was nervous after reading the reviews, but decided to give it a try anyways. I will say we had a great time on our vacation. They had a dock for us to use, which was an added bonus. They had a small beach for my young daughter to play on. They had a swim platform for my older boys to enjoy, which they absolutely loved. My family had a wonderful experience, and can't wait for our trip here next year. The staff was absolutely wonderful and made us feel at home.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We have stayed here 5 different times. Each time we have booked in the winter and have found the communication to be good regarding planning our trip. We have always been sent brochures that include all the "rules" so to speak. They are common "rules", that most facilities have. The sisters that own this do it on a rotation basis and it is fun to spend time with one or two of them. It is family run, therefore not being a corporation, they do ask that you take out your food garbage and if you want to exchange towels, that you bring them to them. If you have never stayed in a family owned operation you may find this to be different. We LOVE it because it is ON Torch Lake and we can keep our boat in the water the entire time we are there. We enjoy the gas grill that is available and it is within walking distance to a restaurant, marina and party store.

Room Tip: Pay more and get the lake view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AL L
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My daughter and I truly enjoyed our time at this resort. Being a single mom it was never overwhelming. The property was just right for us. My daughter was able to swim in the lake and play with her sand toys on the beach, as well as play soccer on the grass.
When we checked in Diana and Dolly were extremely helpful with all my questions and concerns. I will definitely be going back.
Roxanne Kuchciak

• Stayed: July 2013

Been to Northwind Resort Motel? Share your experiences!