“If you like roaches, you'll love this place!”
Review of The Spartan Motel

The Spartan Motel
The Spartan Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rochester
DeWitt, MI
“If you like roaches, you'll love this place!”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I will admit I am a bit fussy about hotels, but I sure don't need anything fancy- just clean, and a place that makes me feel like I won't get cooties from sitting on the bed. Anyway, we decided to stay here for the night before we went to a birthday party in the area, where we knew we would be out late. We checked in before we went to the party. We asked to look at a room first, and although it wouldn't be my first choice, I thought it would be ok for one night. It was conveniently located, and seemed clean, though very dated. So far so good. We went to the party, and I came back before my husband. I went to sleep. I woke up an hour later, turned on the light, and saw....a cockroach. On the nightstand. 6 inches from my head. I smashed it and put it in a plastic cup. Unfortunately, it was 1 o'clock in the morning, and there was nothing much to be done. I strongly considered sleeping in the car, but it was really hot and muggy outside. We slept with all the lights on in the hotel room in case our little friend had brought company. The next morning we hightailed it out of there. My husband brought the dead cockroach to the hotel office but he said the lady who was there wasn't the manager and didn't seem to care a whole lot. And we paid $75 for the pleasure of this experience! Avoid this place!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Anne S
TheSpartanMotel, Webmaster at The Spartan Motel, responded to this review, 7 April 2016
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear about the outcome of your most recent stay. All of your feedback is much appreciated. Again, we apologize for the negative experience.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lockport, Illinois
Reviewed 29 November 2010

My husband and I had been to the Spartan Motel in Rochester, MI before and thought we knew what to expect from this trip. It is conveniently located so that we can visit family who live 5 minutes away. We learned when checking in that the motel is now under new management. The first thing we noticed was that the heat source had changed from hot water heat to a combination heater/air conditioner high up on the wall. The fan was very loud, heated the place well but left the floor very drafty. Getting linens in the evening was impossible. I asked for an extra pillow and got one, minus the pillow case, as the linen had all been locked up for the evening. We then realized there was no coffee pot in the room. Well...ok, they offer a complimentary continental breakfast in the office from 6-10am each day. We'll just head down to the office in the morning. Not convenient for us, but ok. Got there around 9am and there was no coffee or anything to eat. "Oh, the manager didn't put the coffee on and hasn't brought the food yet" we heard. So, we headed into town for some breakfast. We put the "Maid" sign on the door, expecting the room to be straigtened and fresh towels brought in. Neither happened. There was no continental breakfast the next day, either. Also, for those with allergies, the room freshener they used kicked off my allergies for the entire time I was there. Now for the good stuff. The king-sized bed we requested was very comfortable. The room itself was comfortable and the bathroom was adequate.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lawyermom178
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. I’m terribly sorry we failed to meet your expectations. We take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and in the overall experience we provide to guests. I sincerely apologize that we let you down and assure you that action is already being taken to make things better for the future. Your experience is not an indication of how we normally do business, and we’ll work to provide a more consistent experience in the future.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Rochester hotels

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 17 July 2010

We had no microwave, fridge, hairdryer, coffee pot. The bathtub was filthy, at least the red color was paint not blood. The continental breakfast was really just coffee, apple, banana, and a prepackaged sweet roll and that was only after we asked the desk for some coffee. The smell on the second balcony was smokey- flop house - not good. No we could not recommend this motel. We could have stayed at the brand new Hyatt Place for $10 more.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bekjl

pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed 9 September 2005

We stayed at the Spartan Motel in Rochester Hills, Michigan in August. My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean, the staff was very helpful. It's an old motel but nice. Pastries and coffee were provided in the lobby in the mornings. Conveniently located in the downtown shopping area. We'll be staying there again!!

4 Thank eminemfan
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us. I’m very glad that our hotel impressed you in so many ways. We focus on offering a guest experience that will satisfy a wide range of travelers. When you’re in the area again, I hope you will make us your first choice. We’ll be here when you need us with another great stay that you’re sure to like again.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Royal Park Hotel
Royal Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Rochester
Concorde Inn Rochester Hills
Concorde Inn Rochester Hills
#2 of 3 in Rochester Hills
Red Roof Inn Detroit Rochester Hills
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit North-Rochester Hills
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Det...
#1 of 3 in Rochester Hills
The Rochester Carriage House B&B
Quality Inn Auburn Hills
Quality Inn Auburn Hills
#3 of 17 in Auburn Hills

Been to The Spartan Motel? Share your experiences!