“Great patio and good food!”
Review of Penny Black

Penny Black
Ranked #13 of 92 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$14 - US$30
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut St.
Description: Housed within the original Rochester Post Office, Penny Black offers up a unique experience. The all scratch menu includes favorites such as house smoked bbq, blackened catfish, jambalaya, shrimp fajitas, fried pickles and hand cut sweet potato fries. Come out to enjoy our great selection of craft beer, unique drinks, and live entertainment.
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I have had multiple good experiences here with my husband and friends and mom. The food is good ole comfort food and BBQ. The atmosphere indoors is hip and relaxed. I really like the patio in the summertime. The BBQ choices are all good...I especially like the pulled pork and the chicken. I am definitely not a BBQ expert but the meat is tender and not too saucey. Speaking of sauces...there are many to pick from...I think six are available on the table. The macaroni and cheese, sweet potato fries and beans are also good. A good place for a relaxed meal with friends or family.

1  Thank kmontei

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went to Penny Black last-night with friends, daughter was there the night before. Location, atmosphere, seating, menu selection, pricing, were all Great, perfect! However, the food was poor, at best. When no one at the table takes there left overs home, you know something is wrong. Fish Taco's were bad, my Daughter said the same of her's the night before. Pulled pork burrito was dry, very dry, had to use a knife to cut it. Tonic water for my Gin & Tonic was flat. This place has everything going for it, except they obviously need a new Head Chef. Hope they can change things around.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

After a year long break from a disappointing experience we tried Penny Black again. Again it was disappointing. There was a large wait staff ratio and service was friendly and timely. The food however was mediocre at best. Our tender beef tip appetizer was indeed tender and tasty, however the accompanying sauce, while tasty too, was so salty that I'm probably going to die tonight.(I have high blood pressure and need to watch my salt). Our three dips and chip appetizer was "eh". The chips were greasy, the queso was of a bland unrecognizable cheese, the salsa tasted like from a jar, but the guacamole was passable. My ribs and pulled pork entree was rather shameful for a purported BBQ place. My husbands beef brisket was gray, dry and unappealing. Our tables bottles of sauces were slopped up and had crusty tips. My coleslaw was absolutely tasteless! My baked beans were actually very good and my husbands fresh green beans were flavorful and cooked perfectly. We had a seat near the hostess stand so I was able to see the lackluster trickle of Saturday night diners come in. I also got to see one of the young hostesses pick/itch the inside of her nostril several times. I suppose I will wait another year to try Penny Black, if they are still in business then. It's a shame that the restaurant name and it's meaning is squandered on a place that is so underwhelming.

1  Thank Nancy K
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Happy place with no stress attitudes! Southwest food influence. Best nachos with pulled pork around, too! Lots of choices for food and drinks. Great bars inside and out.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Great patio scene during the summer, food is always good, and a great beer selection. It's our go to place in town!

Been to Penny Black? Share your experiences!