“Everything Nostalgic Except the Prices”
Review of Knapp's Dairy Bar

Knapp's Dairy Bar
Ranked #30 of 93 Restaurants in Rochester
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The onion rings are ginormous! Bigger than Krispy Kreme Donuts. One of the rings was almost as big as my bowl (large cup) of New England style Clam Chowder (soup of the day).

The price of the onion rings and soup wasn't bad. The price of the shakes and burgers (which I didn't order) was a bit high. I saw many people eating the burgers with the large unique bun. The size of the burger reminded me of when BK Whoppers used to be so large you really needed two hands to hold one (in the 1970s). Next time I visit, I'm gonna try one.

CocaCola products are sold here. At first I ordered ice water but it smelled a bit funky so I decided to get a Diet Coke.

As most other reviewers have said, this place is authentic and not "fake retro".

I recommend a visit to Red Knapps Dairy Bar.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Burgers and buns are unique, but the malts are to die for. My kids loved the setting and we now bring the grandkids. Great ambience.

1  Thank murphy54436
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have been eating at this restaurant since the '50's. It is a flashback to simpler times. They are famous for their huge hamburgers. The onion rings are the size of donuts. They make the shakes right in front of you and have scores of flavors. It is a fun experience to twirl around on the stools to 60's tunes.

1  Thank 1dundee
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Knapp's is an institution in Rochester. It still has my favorite hamburger. It is fresh, very thin and large. The taste is wonderful and you can add onions and relish to your liking. The chocolate malt is large enough to share, and reminds me of the malts I used to have with my grandfather. Be warned, the cost is higher than a McDonald's meal but it is well worth it.

1  Thank CaptnMikeRochester
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you ask, you can get THICK malts/milkshakes. Used to get them without asking. Several flavors of malts/milkshakes. The hamburg buns are made by the bakery next door. Good seasoned fries, huge onion rings. The service is always good. Sit at a booth or at the counter on turning top stools. Grilled ham/cheese is good. Cleanliness can be an issue at this restaurant.

1  Thank janet s