“Good hotel with room for improvement”

Concorde Inn Rochester Hills
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rochester Hills
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good hotel with room for improvement”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The good - very accommodating and friendly staff. Rooms are large with new furniture and carpeting, flat screen TV. Ours had a whirlpool tub and no chair so the staff brought in a chair from the lounge. Room was clean, bed very comfortable, lots of soft pillows, new sheets.
There is no wi-fi in the rooms - can connect via cable. Wi-Fi in lobby but people these days expect it in the room. The duvet and comforter was folded at the end of the bed and only a sheet on the bed so we brought in a blanket from the car. However, in the morning I did find a blanket in the armoire. Duvets are passe' - should double sheet the beds with a blanket - much cleaner. The halls needed vacuuming. Breakfast was very basic - coffee, rolls, bagels, cereal.
It looks like they're working on getting things in shape - just need attention to the above.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dgryan1
Robert D, Manager at Concorde Inn Rochester Hills, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
I greatly appreciate your review. We are currently going through another renovation and will be taking your review and comments into consideration. Since your review, we have extended our complimentary WIFI coverage to encompass all the guestrooms and suites. Furthermore, having added a new lush banquet center to our property gives us the ability to provide a new free breakfast including hot items. We are at this time reviewing our options to see what hot breakfast items to add to our current complimentary continental breakfast. This breakfast addition is slated to be in effect by the end of the month. Please try us again soon. Thanks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Rochester MI
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This hotel is located along M-59 near Crooks Rd in Rochester Hills, and otherwise affuent area of Oakland County Michigan. What I saw while there made me turn and check out and go to a new hotel. Although the adjacent roadways are undergoing reconstruction the way this hotel is being managed made me believe it is on its last legs financially and is desperate for money. The first impression that I got was seeing the night manager at the front desk. A hotel of this type and price typically requires its staff to be wearing a suit and tie. Instead the night manager was wearing a T shirt and jeans of a quality typical of that for changing your own oil in your driveway. A clerk who also claimed that he was security for the hotel was wearing a T shirt and sweat pants, white socks and slippers. Concerned at my first impression, I asked to see a room and was escorted to a nearby hall while this security person described the property. Most apparent were several hotel residents that were loitering in and around the lobby, that stared at me in a look that I could best describe as considering me as a potential target while staying at the hotel. I asked the security person about these guests, and learned that there were between 17 - 20 rooms that had what he described as permanent residents. The person showing me the room said that he was also one of the residents living in the hotel. That explained the casual dress code and slippers! These rooms were apparently where various people had landed after being removed from their previous residences. By their looks I would place them at the lowest levels of economic class. Thier resident status in this hotel was emphasized by the items that were placed in the hallways outside their doors, such as baby carriages. This was in clear violation of fire code, yet the security person ignored them and was unappologetic for their placement. I could only imagine that at least some of the hotels rooms were eligable for some sort of funding as alternate residences for low income families. My impression was that this was a high end hotel that was quickly trying to reach the status of a run-down inner city motel where most of the rooms were rented by vagrants. It was all very puzzling.

The room and hallways that I was shown appeared to have been renovated in the last year. the level of housekeeping was sloppy at best. Relatively new carpeting in the halls shwed a strip of brown dirt adjacent to the doors and wall bases, that could only be caused by housekeeping staff making a regular fast pass with vacuum cleaners in the center of the carpet and ignoring the edges for months. The bathroom of the room I was shown showwed the same lack of cleaning detail. The floors were clean in the center but a wide stripe of long term dirt at the edge of the tub, toilet and so on.

In discussion with the staff I learned that the renovation was not yet complete. One wing was yet to be renovated, supporting the claims of another posting on this property on this site.

The description of this property said there was a pool and hot tub. I learned that those had been filled-in, and were under renovation as a banquet center to the west side of the building. A quick glance showed that the completion of this effort would be weeks or months away. There was little evidence that the renovation was active, instead looking like it had been stopped in progress. There were no tools or supplies visable - appearing that the work was stopped and the workers rolled out all their tools and supplies.

In a nutshell this appears to be a hotel where the owner was overextended in a site-wide renovation, work was stopped, and occupancy was challenged. It appears that in order to make up for the void some of the rooms were being rented long term to low income people. The property had the feeling of an inner-city motel with a high threat of crime and vice within an otherwise surounding area of low crime and low vice.

I decided to move on, but wanted to warn those who base their decision on a website and a low price. Beware.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank jiml3222
First I wish to thank you for your review. I was recently brought into the ConCorde Inn to address concerns such as these. The hotel is currently going through improvements in regards to its overall apperance and its staff. We sincerely apologize for your less than satisfactory experience. Your detailed review and comments are duly noted and have been taken into consideration as we move forward to ensure an outstanding hotel exprience with impeccable customer service. We invite you to try us again in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Rochester Hills hotels

Saline, Michigan
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This room was disgusting- there was mold on the toilet seat, and the floor had not been washed. I did not take off my shoes, and we left ASAP in the morning just to get out. LOOK at the room first before staying there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beepo4808
Cheryl W, Manager at Concorde Inn Rochester Hills, responded to this review, 9 December 2014
We're just getting active on TripAdvisor, but we saw this review and wanted to address your concerns. Feedback like this is very important to us, and we can't apologize enough if you had anything less than a positive experience here. There's no excuse for the state of the room that you described -- this really doesn't sound like us at all, and I can assure you that we clean all the rooms thoroughly between guests. We've also completed some light renovations and upgrades in the last few years. If you're ever in the area again, we'd love a second chance to prove how wonderful a stay with us can really be -- we hope that's something you'd be up for!

Best,
Management
Sidney, OH
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I must have been on the NOT remodeled side. Computers at the hotel had been down for 6 weeks when I checked out. Pictures of the rooms look good. Pictures can be misleading.

Heater would either be arctic cold or African hot, no in between. Room 50 degrees or 90 degrees.

Pillows were hard as rocks.

Light switch going into room was broken, still operated.

Bathroom outlet for hairdryer was broken and not use-able. Dried hair sitting on a chair in main part of room. Chair blocked open bathroom door so I had some light.

Outlet in wall to plug hairdryer into was broken so could not use light and hairdryer at same time.

Bathroom fan sounded like a Viet Nam era helicopter landing after been hit with small arms fire.

Shower curtain had fancy curved rod to allow extra space in the shower. Curtain not wide enough. Water ended up all over floor.

Light on desk with electrical outlets to plug laptop into. Electrical outlets worn out to the point they did not work.

Internet in the room pathetically slow. Might have a web page show up in 10 minutes if at all. Wireless in the lobby worked good.

Penny laying in middle of floor when I checked in, still there when I checked out 5 nights later. Do they vacuum?

Families appear to be living there permanently. Eating supper in the breakfast area at night.

Staff either short or somewhat rude.

This is a decent hotel if just looking for a place to crash overnight or if you don't need electric or internet. The room did have a new flat screen tv. They should have saved money and kept the old tv and spent $20 on electrical outlets. The tv had 10 channels.

I have stayed in many third world countries, places with names the majority of people have never heard of; I can tolerate a lot. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank 95devils
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 17 March 2005

I had to stay overnight on business, and looked for a hotel with a pool for my daughter. We were amazed by the Olympic size pool--it was fantastic! The 20 person spa was great, with a huge screen TV. There was also a sauna. The exercise room was the best I had ever seen at a hotel, and the attendant was very friendly and helpful. We had a room on the first floor, and it was surprisingly quiet. Frozen yogurt available in the lobby in the evening was a big hit with my daughter and me. The breakfast served was a disappointing meal, with cold food offerings and fruit, but enough to start the day. We would definitely stay here again, for business or pleasure.

5 Thank Waterwench
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 July 2003

We stayed here in July, '03. We liked this hotel due to: 1) quick check-in and check-out; 2) a large fitness center with big indoor pool, gargantuan hot tub with large screen tv, and lots of workout equipment; 3) easy access to Hwy. 59, near the Silverdome; 4) the fan on the heating/a/c unit does not run unless it needs to; 5) restaurant within walking distance. The continental breakfast consisted of bagels, microwave sausage biscuits, juice and cold cereal. Only things needing improvement were too much room deodorizer in the hallways, and the rate was 95 cents more than the posted "best rate anytime" price.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester Hills
Red Roof Inn Detroit Rochester Hills
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit North-Rochester Hills
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Det...
#1 of 4 in Rochester Hills
#1 of 3 in Rochester
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica

Been to Concorde Inn Rochester Hills? Share your experiences!