“Very clean & comfortable. Nearly new. Excellent breakfast & manager's reception.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We live near the hotel adn just wanted to get away from the chores of the home for a night so the kids could swim and we could have some time to relax.

The rooms were very clean & comfortable. The hotel overall seems nearly new. Excellent breakfast with cooked ot order omelettes and pancakes, great assortment of fruit and other breakfast items. The evening manager's reception had a great assortment of snacks and drinks.

There are many hotels in the area but we will come back to this one for the same type of staycation.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Great staff, super friendly, prime location. Would definitely stay here again!
Great shuttle service...happy hour was excellent. Food was super. WiFi was strong signal. I would most strongly recommend this hotel to travellers passing through the Detroit area

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank patrick b
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. Although I was stuck in Detroit due to weather conditions the staff made it a pleasant experience. The hotel was clean and fresh and very convenient to the airport. I woudl stay here again if traveling to the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We stayed at Embassy Suites in Detroit with a hockey team. The hotel was well kept and the buffet breakfast was a huge hit for hungry hockey players. Staff were friendly and helpful and accommodations were clean and spacious. Only downside was small pool for a large group of kids however in warmer summer months it opens to a larger outdoor pool. Also, I left my passports in night table and staff were more than helpful in making sure they got back to us safely.

Room Tip: Suites are great as kids can be in bed and adults have a spacious sitting area.
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Loved the layout and furnishings in our room. The wifi was excellent and free which was a huge benefit. The free breakfast is phenomenal. It goes from 6:30-10:30 which means it is busy but never too crowded. The food is fantastic and plentiful. The seating area is large and comfortable and the staff are really attentive and nice.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stay here upon our arrival in Detroit and again ten days later the night before we left Detroit. Both stays we perfect. Large, clean room with an excellent front desk staff. The breakfast buffet is better than most. They'll even makes eggs to order for you! The shuttle bus leaves every twenty minutes for the airport and they even dropped me off and picked me up at the Hertz counter which is a mile away from the terminals. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pinguy
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We stayed on 1/19 for one night. We rented 2 rooms for our party of 6. We are devoted Embassy customers and have never had a bad experience...until now.

We had major issues with billing (being charged for the rooms twice) and also dealt with considerable housekeeping issues.

As is the case with most good rates, we had to prepay for our rooms to get the best rate, which we gladly did. $223.54 for two rooms, paid in mid January.

As everyone else said this is not the typical Atrium-in-the-middle, rooms-around-the-edge Embassy. It looks to be an older property converted to Embassy. That was fine by us.

A couple of things stood out to us when we got to our room:
-There was what looked to be a crusty booger on the lamp shade in our bedroom.
-There was a rather large stain/dirty area on the chair.
-There was space for two toilet paper rolls and BOTH were more than 3/4 empty when we arrived. Honestly, how hard is it to replace at least one of those nearly empty rolls with a full roll?

These were not things we expected but just rolled with it. We all went out Saturday evening. When we returned about 11:00 PM we noticed a dirty paper napkin in the middle of the hallway. No big deal, right? But when we went to breakfast about 9:30 on Sunday morning that same napkin was STILL in the same exact spot in the hall. That means that not one Embassy employee walked down that hall in about 11 hours. Or perhaps the staff did not care about doing basic things like picking up a napkin laying in the middle of the hallway.

Then came Sunday morning when my 9 year old son looked at his pillow and saw a large 3"x4" blood stain. This was no run of the mill 'spot' of blood, this was a 'my gosh, what happened to the person who used this pillow?' stain (see pics below). We thought he might have had a bloody nose but it was darker red and was clearly washed before.

I immediately took the pillow up to the front desk and the manager on duty apologized and offered a partial room credit of $50. I was fine with this as I really wasn't looking for anything but to point out how gross it was.

So although we were unhappy with the disgusting pillow I was glad they tried to do the right thing.

Now the fun part begins.
-Sunday night we look in our checking account and see that not only was there no credit but Embassy charged us a second time (another $223.54) for the rooms we pre-paid for!

-I called the Embassy to explain the situation and the manager on duty was absolutely worthless. He tried to explain that were weren't double charged and that he would email me a copy of the invoices. I received two invoices but they weren't much help because they were BLANK. He never called or emailed to make sure I received them or to make sure I didn't have any questions.

-I then called Monday morning to explain the problem yet again and had to fax my bank statement to them to apparently prove that I wasn't lying about being charged $450.

-Monday afternoon the manager called me and emailed me what looked to be a corrected invoice. She explained that they did in fact double charge us, apologized and said the charges would be reversed and they would also provide the $50 credit. Again, it was nice to know they were trying (I emphasize the word TRYING) to do the right thing.

-Apparently the refunds weren't entered immediately as it took until Wednesday for the corrections to show up but we noticed that they only credited us $174.24. It took us a bit to figure it out but instead of crediting us $274.54 ($224.54 for the rooms and $50 to cover the 'sorry for the giant blood stain on your pillow' credit) they instead deducted the $50 credit from the $224.54 we had paid. Hence it was like being charged an extra $50 for our rooms for the lovely blood stain.

Confused yet? We were.

My wife then called and tried to explain the situation and they were adamant that everything was correct. After several back-and-forths my wife finally demanded to talk with the General Manager the following day.

The GM apologized for them screwing everything up and graciously offered to comp both rooms. As of today (9 days after our stay) we have finally been fully reimbursed.

We really do appreciate the GM stepping up to comp the rooms and I actually bumped up my review from a 1 to a 2 because of this. But in all honesty between a giant blood stain, the general lack of cleanliness and the major billing screw up I would be very challenged to say we would stay here again. It just didn't hold up to the quality of the Embassy brand.

Room Tip: Choose a room without bloody pillow cases. Make sure there's actually toilet paper in the bath...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank cberd1221
geoffthompsongm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. I am especially disappointed that there were some housekeeping issues in your room as well as some billing misunderstanding that inconvenienced you . I assure you that I will take your comments into consideration to make sure we fix these issues and provide our guests with the exceptional level of service they deserve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Romulus
Hampton Inn and Suites Detroit/Airport-Romulus
The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Radisson Hotel Detroit Metro Airport
Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Comfort Inn Metro Airport
Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport? Share your experiences!