“Fairly good for Near Airport”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
United States
“Fairly good for Near Airport”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Nice hotel. The breakfast and happy hour are great. Food was plentiful and the drinks were free! The rooms are fine. The bathrooms need a serious update! The staff was friendly and the halls were quiet. I would have liked to see a little more security around the hotel, but we did not have any problems.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Watervliet, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We picked this hotel for a couple of reasons: One – because we are Hilton Honors Members and Two – because it is right across the street from the Detroit Airport. The hotel offers a shuttle to and from the Airport ever 15 minutes. The room was comfortable. Our daughter enjoyed the pool. We used the spa and it was pleasant. The hotel was beautiful, there was fun iron sculptures in the lobby. This hotel was very reasonably priced. The room was comfortable. We stayed in a room with an adjoining seating area. This is where our daughter stayed. She had her own television. So she watched her shows and we watched ours. Breakfast was fantastic. The chef was available for fresh hot cooked to order breakfast in front of you. There was also the traditional continental breakfast. The best part is the fresh hot breakfast was complementary also. Everything from the check in to the check out was completely acceptable. We would definitely stay here again if the need arises.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Henryville, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Excellent hotel and the staff goes out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The breakfast and managers reception are also excellent!! But, like most other hotels, the Heating & Cooling system is noisy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Clean hotel with updated decor. Housekeeping did a thorough job to ensure the room is clean and tidy. Lobby area is bright and clean. Check-in/out was quick and efficient. Breakfast is below average - dried sausages and overheated-steam waffle anyone?

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My wife had an early 6:20am flight out of Detroit and we were 2 hours away. We got a great priceline deal and drove up the night before and stayed there.

The hotel is very close to the airport and it is very easy to get to the airport from there. This is not a typical Embassy Suites. It is not the tall tower with the surrounded inside area. It is only 3 floors and the parking is all around.

Check in was very very fast and efficient. We were in room 203. It is close to the lobby area and an exit. It was a Saturday night and the hotel was busy so this room was very noisy. You can hear the people especially the kids in the hall. They were running around past 2 am.

The room was comfortable and the climate control worked well. The beds were nice and the pillows were plentiful and worked fine for us. The only things I didn't like is the sink in the bath room is in the bedroom and there is no door to close so you would wake the person up that was sleeping if you needed to wash your hands. The other issue is that there was only one light in the shower and toilet room and it was very dim. I don't need much but it was hard to see in the shower. Water pressure was fine and hot water was plentiful. The room had a small refrigerator and a microwave. There were two LCD TVs and free in room WiFi that worked well.

The evening drink and snack offering was great and was from 5:30 till 7:30. They have a desert cafe there and the prices are reasonable.

I took my wife to the airport and came back for the included breakfast. It was very good. They have the omelet bar along with other hot items (eggs, bacon, sausage (port and turkey), potatoes, and french toast strips along with the normal cold items (cereal, muffins, toast) and fruits. They had juices, coffee, and tea to drink. It was pretty busy at 6:30am when they opened. Seating for the cocktails and breakfast is okay but you could run out of space quickly.

It was a nice hotel and if you can get it at a good price and need something close to the airport it is a good place to stay. For the price we paid, I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Flint, mi
Reviewed 3 November 2013

If at all possible, I'm going to be staying at Embassy Suites whenever I get the chance (within my budget). If you've read some of my other hotel reviews, you'll see that 90% of my hotel stays are booked through Priceline or Hotwire with the last 10% booked directly at mom and pop hotels (after reading Tripadvisor reviews).

My wife and I were happy to see that after our bid was accepted through Priceline, we were going to be staying here (I'm writing this review in room #142 at Embassy Suites). Our accepted bid was near half-off posted rack rates. We stayed here as a local "stay-cation". We weren't going to the airport this time. Not a lot of close-by activities, but lots of things to do within a fifteen minute drive (Ikea in Canton, and The Henry Ford complex in Dearborn).

The room is really a two room suite. The entry door is recessed from the main interior corridor area. This configuration helps soften hallway noise. The first room you enter contains the couch, side chair, ottoman, and flatscreen tv. The desk table and snackbar are also in this room. The snackbar has an under-counter refrigerator and microwave. The coffeemaker is on the countertop alongside the ice bucket. This snack bar has no additional cabinet or shelving area. There is no sink in the snack bar area.

The bedroom area is separated from the living room area by a folding double door with fixed louvers. The HVAC thermostat is located in the bedroom area only. Our bed was queen size and very comfortable. The A/C unit shuts off with a loud clunk, but this didn't bother me much. The bedroom has a second flatscreen tv, but this one is on a swivel-mount. You can easily watch tv from the bed or the vanity sink area. The vanity and sink is outside of the bathroom. The bathroom has a standard tub/shower with a standard showercurtain. The toilet sits a little lower than most. There is a closet next to the vanity sink area containing the ironing board, iron and additional blankets.

I've only stayed at a couple of other hotels with a similar room layout, but these hotels cost twice as much.

The evening reception on Friday night was excellent and was FREE. The liquor drinks were not watered down.

The morning breakfast buffet included made-to-order omelettes (four stations). I didn't have to wait at all for my order at around 8:15am. The only thing that is missing from this buffet (that I missed), was hotcakes or waffles. I think that this hotel has figured out that the general public in this area isn't responsible enough to keep the waffle stations tidy, so they aren't here.

My wife enjoyed the gym/workout area. I was feeling lazy after drinking too much at the reception, so I didn't visit this area.

This hotel is one of the best I've stayed in this year, and I'd rate this place #1 when it comes to value.

I really have to think hard to come up with any negative issues with my stay. The only issues I can think of are these:

1) All of the parking spaces near the front were filled up. There is plenty of parking to the rear with room-key access security. We had to park in the lot to check in (the canopy check-in spaces were all full). We parked in the rear, found out that we couldn't enter the security-locked doors and walked in the drizzle around to the front.

2) There is a little airplane noise. The noise is noticeable but not at all loud. You might hear a plane fly over about once every ten minutes.

3) The double doors seperating the bed area from the living room area didn't close properly.

Some features I really liked at this location, were the freebies: Free Wi-fi, free parking, free food, good soaps and lotions. This place has lots of available electrical outlets. There are enough here to charge all of the electronics you bring. There are bedside outlets (for cpap, etc.).

Every staff member we encountered was cheerful and did a great job.

I would MOST HIGHLY recommend this Embassy Suites as the best place to stay in Romulus, Mi.

Room Tip: Room 142 faces the interior courtyard and is fairly quiet