“Poor Internet”

Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Poor Internet”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

As mentioned by others, the internet is terrible at this hotel. This hotel typically serves people flying in/out of Detroit, and internet should be a priority. Hotel was clean. Poor sound insulation between the exterior and interior, as well as between rooms. Nothing worse than laying in bed, and listening to your neighbor "tinkle" into the toilet.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Toledo, OH
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I live about an hour south from the airport and if I have an early morning flight, a lot of times I will just spend the night here to get a little extra sleep and not deal with rush hour traffic on i-75 and i-275.

This is your typical Hilton garden inn. If the park and fly rate is cheaper I park my car at the remote lot that night and take the shuttle in the morning. If another rate is cheaper sometimes I will park my car at the remote lot the next morning (I always use qwik park the same company the HGI uses for their park and fly) depending on the time my return flight will be landing and if it will make a difference in my parking rate total (at Swik park after a few hours it is billed out as another entire day).

The location is very convenient to qwik park and even if I don't use the park/fly rate and decide to park my car there that night, the hotel shuttle will still pick you up. The hotel shuttle is punctual to the airport in the morning but they also pick up at the Hampton inn next door and there are two terminals over a mile apart from each other at DTW and sometimes the shuttle goes to both, so allow a little extra wiggle room in ytour time for that. Shuttles run every 20 mintues.

Not a lot of places to eat at around there, bnut there is a mcdonalds, subway and big boy nearby.

I have only eaten breakfast there a couple times and it was your typical HGI breakfast, but I would eat elsewhere if it wasn't free, not really worth the posted prices. Being an airport property I wish they would start breakfast before 6 a.m. for those of us who have very early flights or at least offer a to go bag like Hampton.

Rates are reasonable. They are usually cheaper or not much more expensive than the Hampton next door and a nicer property. This and the hampton and embassy (which is always a lot more) are the only airport hilton choices now that the hilton suites is closed.

Business center is nice and the fitness center is 24/7.

Something I hate about this property is the WiFi is always slow and inconsistant IF you can get it to work. I always have trouble at this property. IF I can connect the speed is slow. Fortunately the business center internet is free and that is 24/7.

If you want a clean, reasonable place to crash at before an early morning flight or after a late night flight, this is a great property. If you are in detroit for some other reason and/or staying more than just one night, there are better properties in better areas of detroit.

Room Tip: All rooms are basically the same.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The hotel is pretty midway and not too far from Dearborn and yet not to close so you get all the local traffic. TRhe staff was really great and always there to try and help you. Rooms were well kept and clean. On a whole a very good location.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor and was very quiet.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have really enjoyed my stays at over 10 HGIs until this one. This hotel is really dated... My room had sticky carpets, the bed's firmness adjustment system was broken on one side (so you just sank in the bed even though it was set to max firm), the Internet was really slow and the 4:30 and 5:30am wake up calls from planes landing and taking off was not a great addition (although this is not limited to this hotel). If that wasn't bad enough, you can hear everything out in the hallway and the housekeepers one morning came around at 8am knocking on everyone's door to see if they had vacated the rooms - without the cart and did it to multiple rooms, which seemed odd to me. The day before the automatic 8am wake up, I heard the housekeepers outside my room for over an hour and a half starting at 8:30. Noise that you could not sleep through.

I have stayed at Hampton Inns that are significantly better.

Staff was mixed, one woman housekeeper greeted me and said have a great day, while others barely acknowledged my existence. The waiter at breakfast was the most friendly face in the place. I had to go to the front desk three times when my key would not work and if you stay here, you know how painfully slow the elevators are.

There are not many good choices around DTW, but I would recommend the Westin at the airport or the Marriott in Romulus.

The hotel also needs to upgrade the hash browns at breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012
joefelice, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear j19stan,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to complete a review of your stay!

I am sorry to hear you were not pleased with your stay!

I apologize for the keys not working for your entire stay. I know how frustrating it can be to have to go to the desk several times. Obviously we were having difficulty making the keys correctly and with our key machine system.

We have replaced all of the carpeting in the guests rooms within the last 8 months and also all of the carpeting in the hotel has been professionally cleaned within the last 60 days. We've scheduled your room to be cleaned again for their next visit this month.

I apologize that our housekeeping staff was noisy in the morning. I've addressed this with them and we are currently exploring the option of starting their shifts 1 hour later.

We hope you do visit us again! If so, I would be honored to handle your reservations personally!

Thank you again for review!

Joe Felie
New York
Reviewed 12 March 2012

If you've stayed in a Hilton Garden, this one is the same furnishings in the rooms. Very comfortable, friendly staff. Quiet and quick to get to the airport. Did not have chance to eat in hotel due to my schedule, but there are a few other options within walking distance (if the weather is ok!). If there is rain or snow, nothing convenient to the hotel except for dining at the hotel, but that appears to be the situation at just about any Detroit airport area hotel. Two nice little touches that I did note-- 1) even though there is an indoor pool, they do have a few lounge chairs outside in case you want to get some sun and 2) they have a nice little enclosed booth at the side of the hotel so smokers do not have to stand outside in the weather. I'd not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Dear AirlineGuyNYC,

Thank you for staying and taking the time to complete a review of your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport!

I am pleased to see you enjoyed our location and stay with us!

We do offer breakfast and dinner in our Great American Grill daily. For dinner, the Pan Seared Salmon is my favorite!

We hope to you visit us again soon!

Joe Felice
Copenhagen
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Got dropped in this hotel because of an overbooked flight.
Would not have been my first choice for a hotal, but it was the flight carrier's choice.
But have to say I can be very positive and everything was ok, the staff we really nice and the receptionist was extremely good looking.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Jacksonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I read the reviews before booking this hotel. My husband & I flew in for a funeral, we called from the airport for the shuttle, it came in less than 5 minutes. The driver was very courteous. (We tipped the othe passenger did not) We were warmly greeted by Brandi at the front desk, she was a joy to talk to and very helpful in answering our questions regarding dining around the area. Everytime we saw her whether she was speaking with us or other guests, she was very pleasant and had a smile. The lady working with her was nice also. Rob helped us and we appreciated him making a call to a local resturant for us because he did not have to do that. I believe another employee's name is George. He stopped working in one of the banquet rooms in order to show us where the fitness center was located. We appreciated that because it seems normally people would just point you in the direction. Not only were we impressed with the staff but the room was wonderful. We have stayed in many hotels but this has to be the cleanest by far. Really impressed with how clean the bathroom was. I can usually find something that was not cleaned but not at this hotel. You can tell they take pride in what they do. Our wake-up call was on time both mornings. We ate breakfast at the hotel one morning, They open at 6:30am we got there around 7:45 and the eggs on the buffet were almost all gone and what was left was cold. The bacon, oj, biscuits and gravy were good. The staff was nice. Oh, and my husband LOVED the cookies that were complimentary at the front desk. Checking out was a breeze. The hotel is about 5 minutes from the airport, but suprisingly, we did not hear any airplanes. The only negative I would have is that the wireless network was was a problem. I connected but it was extremely slow. The only reason I was trying to use it was for flight infomation. WONDERFUL hotel, see for yourself.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 336, in the back.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple