“Be Careful if you are traveling with kids”

Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed 10 June 2008

We were put to this motel by Northwest airline since our flight was canceled. The room given to us was a smoking room with strong cigarette smell. We asked for a new room but was told that there is no other rooms available.

Their room service closed at 10:00 and so we went down to their bar to get some foods to go. While waiting on my carryout, I ordered a bottle of Ginesee but the beer was given to me unopened. The bartender was tired and when I asked for a can-opener, you can really tell she was unhappy.

The most awful thing about this motel is that they broadcast adult programs to every room. My kids were trying to find Cartoon network on the TV but saw a lady doing a BJ for a guy. I was so mad and changed the channel right away.

I reported this incident to the Best Western customer relationship hotline and was told that I have to talk to the motel manager directly and they could not do anything other than giving me a case number. I called numerous times but they just ignored all my messages and never bothered to call back.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 June 2008

I was delayed by the airline and missed my connection and they gave me a room in this hotel. It's not great. The room was clean but VERY noisy because it's 1) right next to the interstate, and 2) right under the airstrip (apparently). I ate at the bar/grill and the food wasn't all that bad. No time to check out the other faciltities but I will say that I could get on the wireless internet for free and it was a breeze.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2007

We were very pleased with this hotel. We weren't originally planning to stay here, but a major snow storm covered the area and we thought we should stay near the airport to catch an early morning flight. We made the arrangements literally at the last minute. We needed two rooms and they were able to accommodate us.

We especially were interested in the sleep and fly package that includes up to seven days of parking. The hotel uses Airlines Parking, one of the major parking providers for Detroit airport. I've parked my car there several times and like it. The lot is guarded and they have more shuttle busses than the other lots, I think. Very convenient.

When you are ready to leave in the morning, the front desk gives a voucher that you turn in when you pick up the car after the trip. You drive to the lot, leave your car, and the parking lot takes you to the airport. Upon returning, just hop on the shuttle to the parking lot, retrieve your car, show the voucher, and you're on your way. Worked very well for us.

The rooms were spacious and clean, and the beds were comfortable. The bed linens and carper were worn but clean. It's not especially modern, but it's certainly fine for a night before flying out. There is a very nice pool available, but we arrived too late to use it.

A very nice continental breakfast buffet is included, and a full breakfast buffet (including eggs and breakfast meats) can be added for a nominal price. The free buffet includes coffee, juice, toast, muffins, donuts, and hot oatmeal (not instant oatmeal). Overall, very satisfying.

This is a huge hotel. Despite the fact that many people were looking for a room that night because of the snow storm and canceled flights, they still had plenty of availability.

I would gladly stay here again the night before the flight. The rate for hotel + parking is only slightly more than what I would pay for only seven days of parking.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank OhioRon
Reviewed 15 October 2007

Booked this hotel to stay at the night before we flew out for your honeymoon. The women at the desk gave us our vouchers for our parking and directed us to the lot. When we arrived home the next week at 1am, the driver would only take us from the airport to the hotel stating that since we didn't have our parking vouchers he couldn't take us to the lot. After lugging our 4 bags down the road in the middle of the night, we went to leave the lot with the vouchers we were given, and were told we were parked in the wrong lot and had to pay for parking. The women at the desk had told us to park in the wrong lot! I have called the hotel every day since we arrived home, with no call back from the managers. I will never stay at another Best Western ever again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dishy82
Reviewed 25 September 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to the airport. Since it was a Best Western, my expectations of the hotel were pretty low. I knew going in it was not a 5 star hotel, but at least hoped it would be decent. When I arrived at the airport, I called the hotel to have the hotel shuttle come. Initially I missed the first time the shuttle driver came around because the shuttle van has two different hotel names on it.

When I arrived at the hotel, the front desk receptionist seemed pretty nice and the ambiance of the lobby was pretty good for a Best Western. And that's about as good as it gets. As I walked through the hallway to get to my room, it was humid and muggy. When I finally got to my room, the first thing I noticed is that room door didn't completely shut; you had to push it closed.

Then I immediately inspected the bathroom and found the tub was still dirty and there was a large spider crawling on the floor.
I covered the nasty spider with a towel and decided to go watch some tv. To my surprise, there was no remote control for the television, so I had to manually change the channel which was pretty annoying.

The room itself was run down. There were holes in and tears in the walls. The only thing that actually seemed clean was the hot tub which was a surprise.

So then I decided to catch some lunch at the cafe since I had a long morning. And guess what! The cafe doesn't serve lunch; just continental breakfast and dinner.

And the so called business center only had 1 of the 3 computers networked to the printer, so if you weren't lucky enough to get the computer attached to the printer you just couldn't print. So I had to print my boarding pass at the airport terminal.

Luckily I was only staying there for one night. I was so glad to go home. In comparison to other comments, I had no problems with the shuttle service; it was the only reliable and good thing there.

Funny thing as I was leaving, I went to the front desk to inquire about when the next shuttle would be coming and the two receptionists were talking about how a couple was complaining that their honeymoon was ruined because their hotel was so dirty and I was laughing to myself, it is dirty! lol

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank sincereMidwesterner
Reviewed 6 July 2007

One week stay in a "deluxe business traveler room". Property is in major disrepair, parking lots filled with trash, exterior side doors do not fully shut, inside corridors not air conditioned, outside tables filthy (bird droppings, etc.).

This is the type of hotel one would expect to find in a budget
inner city hotel, not at a major international airport. It is obvious
that normal maintenance is not being performed.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2007

We stayed at this hotel on Monday 6/11/07. We arrived around 6:30 PM. From the outside it didn't look like much. I wasn't expecting much because I booked a park and fly deal for $99 a night. I was pleasantly suprised when I walked inside. It is much larger on the inside than it appears on the outside. It is also fairly well kept.

Upon arrival I informed the desk that we would actually need 9 nights of parking not just the 7 advertised. They gave me an additional 2 day voucher for no extra charge which I thought was nice.

We went up to the room and it was decent. This place is a bit older but everything is clean and up to date. It was a typical American hotel room with ample room for our family of 4 (2 adults, 1 kid, and an infant).

The place offered quite a bit to entertain us that night. It had a pool and hot tub indoors as well as a pool outdoors. It had a small workout room with a couple of machines. It also had a restaurant and bar. The main area had several places to sit and mingle. I believe it also had a putt putt area inside but we did not use it.

Here are the pros I found:
-Great price, the hotel offered the same park and fly deal as what parking alone would've cost me at Detroit Metro.
-The pools were great to keep the kids entertained.
-The room was decent sized.
-Its only 5 minutes from the airport so you don't have to rush in the morning to catch your flight.
-It is kept pretty clean.
-A great family place.

The cons:
-The restaurant/bar is very overpriced but for the deals they offer they have to make their money back some how.
-The workout room could use a few more things. Maybe some dumb bells or a weight machine. It only had a treadmill and one other small machine.
-The Park and Fly lot it uses it a little ways away from the hotel and you can miss it easily. LaQuintas is right next door.

Other than that we really enjoyed this place. It is a great place to get the vacation started for a family catching an early morning flight the next day.

I give it an 8 out of 10.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family